PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite slasher series?

Dave
10-15-2000, 07:23 AM
My personal favorite: Halloween

I love it and all the sequels, except for Part 3. While Part 3 is a decent movie in its own right, I want Michael damnit! He's the main reason I love Halloween so much. I think the mask it absolutely perfect (and yes, I realize the sequels never got the mask right).

What really pisses me off is that they took Jamie out of H20. Now they're creating a new Halloween movie and rumor is that it wasn't really Michael in H20, which is how they're even creating a sequel. ARGH!!!

But hey, I'll still be there opening night...

http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

Jason25
10-15-2000, 05:29 PM
I have to agree with you Dave, Halloween is my favorite slasher series, however, I really enjoyed Halloween 3. I consider 3 more of a stand alone film rather than include it as a sequel.

HELLION
10-15-2000, 10:36 PM
I prefer FRIDAY THE 13TH and TEXAS CHAINSAW. Jason and Leatherface are much more frightening figures. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
Positively the MOST horrifying signature ever made!

Django
10-16-2000, 01:59 AM
Freddy is king but I can't really call him a slasher and feel good about it. He has a different approach that a convention slasher icon. Same goes for Pinhead and the gang.

Jason is my favorite character but the Friday the 13ths are not my favorite slasher films. Leatherface is cool but I like part 2 the best and that's thanks to Dennis Hopper.

So as a pure slasher movie series goes, mine would also be The Shape/Michael Myers as I liked more of the Halloween movies than any of the others.

I even like Halloween 6...

AceRimRat
10-16-2000, 05:40 AM
I like Halloween, as well as parts 2 and 4, though I'm not a big fan of 5 (the 1-2-4-5 core of the series).

I like Elm Street as well as parts 3 and 4 and to a lesser degree, 5 (the 1-3-4-5 core of the series).

But as far as pure favoritism goes, I gotta go with the Friday the 13th movies. They're stupid, they're gratuitous and they make absolutely no sense, but they're fun and reliable. You know what you're going to get, and it still makes you jump.

Just my 2 cents. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

Mark Relford
10-16-2000, 07:30 AM
I'm a big Friday the 13th nut!!! My favorite Fridays are: #4, 6, 1, 7, 3, 2, 9, 8, and 5.

Blood, tits, and ass = entertainment!!!

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

DopeChamberX
10-16-2000, 09:05 AM
Definately Halloween, I can't wait for #8! At http://www.cinescape.com/movies/

they give a plot synopsis, which hopefully is true. If it is maybe this series will finally end on a good note. Michael Myers Rules!! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
"It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

[This message has been edited by DopeChamberX (edited 10-16-2000).]

evileye
10-16-2000, 06:55 PM
FRIDAY THE 13TH for me, but I have my cut-off point.

The series had a seriously spooky atmosphere and great soundtrack. Betsy Plamer was suitable bonkers and Jason was a rare breed of masked killer: scary and threatening.... he actually hauled ass and attacked while so many of the others shamble zombie-like around.

Sadly, by part 6, the formula was wearing thin and they decided to pull a Freddy by making him a jokey zombie (although part 6 was well made at least).

Starting at 7, I lost interest pretty quick.

I say they get their heads out of their asses and take a page from HALLOWEEN H20, making a SCREAM-like slasher flick picking up where part 4 left off.

Hell, I say let Steve Miner helm it. It would make a great companion piece with H20! At least it would sell to a broader audience than the surely doomed JASON X will.

Vdlman
10-19-2000, 12:58 AM
For me it's definitely Friday the 13th. It has always been a series of films that I never get tired of watching.

Here are my favorites in order:

1.) 1
2.) 2
3.) 5
4.) 6
5.) 4
6.) 3
7.) 9
8.) 7
9.) 8

suttercane
10-19-2000, 05:12 AM
If Halloween's 5 or 6 had been like part 1 or 2 Halloween would be my favorite series. But theyre not. Parts 5 and 6 are turds. So when I look at the overall picture I see F13 has the clear winner. I cant place them in order because theyre not all out on DVD yet. After seeing them all in widescreen and crystal(lake) picture I can do that.

creaturekid
10-19-2000, 07:19 AM
I think the Halloween movies have stood the test of time better than any of the other series. I can still watch most of them today and enjoy them, even though as the series goes on it decreases in quality. Part 2 is just one of the best sequels ever made, and I actually really liked 3 as a movie on its own (as I understand it, Carpenter wanted to end the Michael Myers story with part 2 and make the series continue in stand-alone installments, like part 3, but I guess Moustapha Akkad had other ideas). 4 and 5 are okay, 6 was decent (I finally saw the Producer's Cut, which gave me a little more respect for the film--I actually probably like it more than part 5 now), and H20 was....well, at least it was another Halloween movie on the big screen (but damn, Michael sucked in that movie. I'm glad they're making another one, so at least MAYBE this time they'll do him right). The first ten minutes of H20 where just awesome, but after that it went no where. I dug the music and the part with Jamie Lee Curtis stalking Michael, but overall it just blew.

TTCFAN
10-20-2000, 09:00 PM
I really liked Halloween 6, why is everyone so against this movie. First of all, it had great atmosphere..watch this movie again and just focus on that. Also, Micheal Myers was more violent in this one, which, in my opinion, made him scarier. I don't know, I like this one, It's not the best, but It's pretty damn entertaining.

rhett
12-22-2000, 06:29 AM
Out of the 'big three' in the Slasher genre (Michael, Jason, Freddy), I hold somewhat of a mixed stance. As far as a single movie, Halloween is leaps and bounds better than any other of the slashers mentioned, but as far as series go, I am leaning towards F13. Parts 4,3,2,6 and 5 are definite favorites of mine. I personally feel that the original F13 wasn't all that good. Having Betsy Palmer as the killer just ruined all the suspense for me and it is just too tough for me to swallow. Jason, to me, seems a much better and scarier killer than his mom. Don't get me wrong, I still like Part 1 but I like the 'campy' feel the sequels gave. They didn't take themselves as serious as the first did, and as a result I think they were better.

------------------
"i spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up for i realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply...evil." - Dr. Loomis, Halloween

DVD Connoisseur
12-22-2000, 10:40 PM
IMHO, Halloween is the best series as I felt that the general standards of each film were better than its rivals. The Friday the 13th series seemed too inconsistent. Part 2 was my favourite - it really frightened me on my first viewing (i.e. when it was originally released on rental on VHS) but I found that by Part 5, the series had lost its way. Having said that, I'm looking forward to "re-discovering" the pleasures of the Jason movies, perhaps with the eventual release of a box set (an uncut box set would be unbelievable). I wish the new Jason film great success as there's a sense of nostalgia seeing a new Jason flick, if you know what I mean.

fattyjoe37
09-08-2007, 12:34 AM
This is interesting because each of the big 3 (Halloween, NOES, F13) have their own strong and weak points. Halloween is the best slasher movie ever and the series had a strong sense of continuity (until H20). But the first is the only great movie in the series with half being ok and half being terrible. NOES had 3 great movies (1, 3, 7) and then a couple of ok ones and a couple of terrible ones, but does maintain a continuity. F13 had the worst first movie of the series (though it still was good) but ended up with the best series because there were more great and good entries in this series than in the other two. What's interesting about this is the F13 series is the one where the only recurring character (save Tommy Jarvis) is the killer and there isn't a through story like in NOES and Halloween.

DrHerbertWest
09-08-2007, 12:51 AM
I gotta go with Friday The 13th because my man Jason is amazing. That's all.

onebyone
09-08-2007, 01:11 AM
Jason and Friday the 13th all the way. He wipes the FLOOR with all those other sissy boy killers without even breaking a sweat. Even in space he was better than anyone else.

You get in, you kill, you get out. Don't get emotionally attached or excessively verbose or hang out with bad influences like those pesky druids. Seriously, Jason is a role model for the ages.

othervoice1
09-08-2007, 01:15 AM
I cant decide!!!!!! they all are great- probably depend what mood im in and I could choose any one of the 3

bwana the clown
09-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Yep, Friday The 13th easily. I'd much rather watch the crappier F13th sequels than the crappier Halloween or crappier NOES sequels.

othervoice1
09-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Does anyone think another true slasher the likes of these will ever explode into a long series? been a long time and a fourth has never come about

fattyjoe37
09-08-2007, 01:18 AM
Does anyone think another true slasher will ever explode like one of the big 3? been a long time and a fourth has never come about

Depending on your taste some people would include Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hellraiser, and Child's Play as the other great slasher series'. I would only include Child's Play because I haven't seen enough Hellraiser (though I've heard it's almost all terrible) and to me the only good TCM was the original (but I did think part 2 was ok).

maskull
09-08-2007, 01:39 AM
Easy. Friday the 13th. I've watched them all countless times and never get tired of them. Sure, they all follow a basic formula but if it ain't broke, don't you dare fix it!!

Devo1313
09-08-2007, 05:39 AM
F13th,I guess although I would say there are better flicks like Final Exam and Graduation Day that were mighty better than some of the installments.

YottNik
09-08-2007, 05:50 AM
I love the Friday13th movies 1-4 like no other. They're childhood favorites of mine.

Mutilated Prey
09-08-2007, 07:14 AM
I have to go with Friday the 13th, then Halloween and then Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I like the Nightmare on Elm Streets, but sometimes Freddy's one liners are little over the top for me.
Friday order:
1. 2
2. 1
3. 4
4. 3
5. 7
6. 6
7. 11 (Freddy vs. Jason)
8. 5
9. 9
10. 8
11.10 (Jason X)

I think the Halloween later sequels were better than the Friday's though. Seems like there was more thought, continuity and intrigue. I enjoyed the whole Pagen/random dood breaking Michael out of jail, etc. stuff.

I love TCM 1 and 2. I thought 3 was bad, but after seeing 4 (Next Generation) 3 seemed pretty good - haha.

I'm interested in seeing the sequel to Wrong Turn. I liked the first one. They may be able to run with that one for a bit.

thrashard76
09-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Friday the 13th series.

bigdaddyhorse
09-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Jason and Friday the 13th all the way. He wipes the FLOOR with all those other sissy boy killers without even breaking a sweat. Even in space he was better than anyone else.

You get in, you kill, you get out. Don't get emotionally attached or excessively verbose or hang out with bad influences like those pesky druids. Seriously, Jason is a role model for the ages.

Can't argue with solid logic. Jason it is.

Take the logic out and he wins on sheer creativity alone. I mean the sleeping bag smash into a tree is among the top 2 kills of all time! The frozen face smash in space is up there in the top 10 easy as well.
For deaths, only death himself (Final Destination series) can do it better, cuz he's, uh , death himself.:D

DVD-fanatic-9
09-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Friday the 13th. I feel like I really grew up with those movies. I can watch any of the first 8 of them over and over again and never get tired of them.

A rank? Sounds fun:

1: VII
2: 3
3: VIII
4: 1
5: VI
6: V
7: 2
8: IV
9: Jason X
10: Freddy Vs. Jason
11: Jason Goes to Hell

Mazurka Macabre
09-08-2007, 08:44 PM
I don't really have loyalties to slasher franchises. I appreciate them on a film by film basis, as the quality varies so widely.

If I had to choose, I guess I'd be the odd man out with Nightmare on Elm Street. In the end, I judge a slasher franchise by the villain. (A cop out abstraction on my part given that the concept of the villain does not inform the quality of the films.) Jason and Michael were never very interesting to me. Freddy's sadism and cruelty, on the other hand, were rather engaging.

blood vamp
09-08-2007, 08:57 PM
My fave slaashers are The Prowler, Night School, Pieces, The Majorettes,Splatter University and the Sleepaway Camp Series.

MorallySound
09-09-2007, 02:24 AM
The Nightmare on Elm Street series.

RyanPC
09-09-2007, 02:30 AM
I think the Nightmare on Elm Street series is the best franchise as far as the quality of the films go, but my personal favorite maniac out of the big three is Michael Myers.

But if I were to choose a villain and not exclude stand-alone slashers, I'd have to give that some thought. Possibly Frank Zito in Maniac or the soldier from The Prowler.

Horrorphilly
09-10-2007, 04:26 AM
Ide have to go with the Friday the 13th series.Jason is just more brutal,menacing, and gory.Plus I grew up on the friday series.Jason kicks major ass all day and night!

Sean

HAEMORRHAGE
09-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Sleepaway Camp all the way for me. Of course Friday the 13th is pretty signifigant too though.

fceurich39
09-10-2007, 07:00 PM
friday the 13th

Bobbywoodhogan
09-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Halloween is my favourite horror film but Friday the 13th is my favourite slasher series. Just for the quality of the sequels, with Part VI been my favourite. There's just something very fun about a Friday the 13th Movie and I Jason is my favourite killer.

If I had to rank them (not including FVJ as I think it has an unfair advantage, yes I love it)

1. Part VI: Jason Lives (The coolest, most fun movie ever, Alice Cooper tunes and Jason as a Zombie is genius)
2. Part IV: The Final Chapter
3. Part VII: The New Blood
4. Part I
5. Part V: A New Beginning (under-rated IMO)
6. Part II
7. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (Not the best but still enjoyable, plus the end)
8. Part VIII
9. Part III
10. Jason X

HAEMORRHAGE
09-10-2007, 11:23 PM
9. Part III

I've never seen someone rank part III so low. That's my fav.

Livingdead102
09-11-2007, 03:05 AM
Friday the 13th is my favorite series, but Freddy is my favorite villain. If only he had a few more sequels as good as 3...

spawningblue
09-12-2007, 04:53 AM
Halloween is my favourite slasher film! But like most on here, Friday the 13th is my favourite series overall, with all of the films being pretty decent, other then Jason X. Halloween would be my second, then Nightmare.

Myron Breck
09-12-2007, 06:01 AM
Friday the 13th, no question.

dwatts
09-12-2007, 07:14 AM

I'd rank it last - as part of the Halloween franchise, it definately sucks - whatever its other merits.

Halloween all the way with this one.

wago70
09-12-2007, 05:29 PM
FRIDAY THE 13TH. In my teen years, not a year or two would go by without a Friday the 13th movie. They signalled the coming of spring or the close of another hot summer. I enjoyed Jason's (and Mrs. Vorhees solo effort) exploits but what I really looked forward to was that last part of the movie where I was on the edge of my seat watching the final girl battle for survival. From Part 1 to Part 7 - I never left the theater disappointed. :)

Agent Z
09-12-2007, 05:36 PM
I'd rank it last - as part of the Halloween franchise, it definately sucks - whatever its other merits.

The original poster was actually ranking Part III of the Friday the 13th series. :)

Bobbywoodhogan
09-12-2007, 09:26 PM

I just dont like it, its too stupid. Like when he pulls his mask up and stuff, plus its like the Hunchback of Crystal Lake, :D

henrychinaski
09-13-2007, 04:10 AM
Friday the 13th....but I really enjoy the Halloween and Nightmare franchises as well. It's just as a whole, Friday the 13th is better......IMO.

Jeffrey Dahmer
09-13-2007, 05:16 AM
Hmm, I will have to say Candyman.

It's hard to decide between it and Halloween... I think great slasher have to do with the music score alot in a way. There is just something most popular series have in common (Jason and Halloween) and that is the amazing theme song.

While I love the theme of Halloween, my favorite is the theme of Candyman by Philip Glass.

Anyway, the Candyman trilogy was great.

rhett
09-13-2007, 05:27 AM
Wow, this thread is a fossil, nice to see it revived! I'd add the PROM NIGHT series to the lot, they never tired themselves out, always going for a fresh slant with each entry. I still stand by my old post though, I'm a FRIDAY man, although I have a lot more respect for the first now than I used to. There's nothing more nostalgic than a summer out at the lake...

mclay18
09-18-2007, 05:37 AM
Halloween... Michael did it first and better.

I only like three of the Nightmare movies, but I avoid the Friday movies if I can help it.

MrVess
09-18-2007, 07:18 PM
The Halloween series, including "Curse" - and no step further. Especially not towards the wretched remake.

Sam
09-19-2007, 06:39 AM
Probably the Nightmare series. Pound for pound, I love the psychology of the character and the dream worlds. Also loved how often the transitions between the real world and dream world could be initially hard to discern for the viewer and the characters. Great stuff. FRIDAY, HALLOWEEN, etc etc are all good in their own right, I just find Nightmare in a slightly higher league for me.