PDA

View Full Version : "Kairo" Question And Your Thoughts Please

dvdasia62
05-26-2003, 04:30 AM
"Kairo" has long been one of my favorite Asian films and maybe I discussed this here before and if so, I apologize for bringing it up again. We had some company over last night and one of the group is a buddy of mine who I turned on to Asian horror. The first film I showed him was "Kairo" and it freaked him out. We got to talking about it last night and one scene really stands out in his mind as it does mine also.

About midway through the film, one of the female leads is in the scene. She is in the foreground. The camera stays right there and never cuts away as behind her we see an individual climbing the stairs of a water tower I believe. The camera remains where it is, not cutting or panning but right there on the actress in the foreground. Behind her we clearly see this figure continuing to climb and finally reaching the top at which point, the character proceeds to the edge of the tower and jumps. Again, the camera never cuts away during all this and follows the leap all the way to the ground. It's an amazing sequence because the camera never moves and we see it all happen in what appears to be one single shot with no cuts, pans, fades or anything. It almost appears as if someone committed suicide right on camera. Now, I know this was not the case and it was part of the movie but this shot simply amazes us.

What do you guys who have seen the film think and are you as blown away by that shot as me and my buddy are? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Blade
05-27-2003, 07:11 PM
Karo: best modern horror movie there is. Really haunting and terrefying, beautifully made. Love it.

Cujo108
05-28-2003, 05:38 AM
This masterpiece isn't just one of my favorite Asian horror films, but is also one of my favorite films, period! It is one of the few films that I find quite frightening, and it is also such a gorgeously executed film on every level. The scene you mentioned is one of the creepiest scenes in the entire film for me, so yes, I know exactly how you feel. Simply a fantastic and perfectly done scene. Just amazing filmmaking!

I just got the R3 SE of this film recently, and its quickly become one of the crown gems of my collection. Anyone who is a fan of the film and doesn't have this disc should do themselves a hige favor and purchase it immediately.

Deaddevilman
05-28-2003, 05:53 AM
I didn't like this film at all. I will watch it again based on everyone's opinion and see if my view is changed.