PDA

View Full Version : The Burning- An Underrated Classic

Mark Relford
10-16-2000, 07:44 AM
I'm very excited about the possibility of this slasher classic being on DVD. I haven't seen it in years and would love to see the uncut version! It's one mean spirited and grim masterpiece that's heads above the usual teen kill flick. I remember watching this one on Showtime and it gave me nightmares for days. Savini's Cropsy makeup design is brilliant! And I can't get that raft massacre scene out of my mind! I bet Holly Hunter and Jason Alexander are proud of this movie. (hehehe) Any Burning fans out there?

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

evileye
10-16-2000, 06:58 PM
While I don't think THE BURINING is the best slasher I have laid eyes on, it was entertaining at least (hey, any flick with George from Seinfeld and Holly Hunter being stalked is worth a giggle).

I should have the import region 2 DVD of this flick any day now and while I believe it is full-frame, I hope this may be uncut. I'll keep you posted!

Rock
10-16-2000, 11:05 PM
I saw THE BURNING on cable when it first came out and wasn't that impressed with it but would like to give it another chance...I used to have a book on Tom Savini called Grande Illusions that showed great pics of makeup FX he did for this one (& others) that were trimmed to avoid the dreaded "X" rating so I am interested in seeing the uncut version on DVD.

[This message has been edited by Rock (edited 10-16-2000).]

DVD Connoisseur
10-17-2000, 04:46 PM
I think the Burning rates alongside the best slasher films. Although not being "original" (it is a glossy Friday the 13th clone), the film has genuine tension and suspense and the music by Rick Wakeman frightened me out of my wits when I first heard it!
I doubt an uncut version will see the light of day in the UK. (The version I saw in the '80s was subsequently banned even though it contained cuts!)

ephilman
10-18-2000, 10:45 PM
THE BURNING is a classic of sorts, but if you are expecting a lot from an uncut edition, you may be disappointed. The movie is identical to the US release with the addition of a few frames of effects footage. It's all very quick! My imagination (from looking at various production stills) lead me to believe that there would be a lot more. Yes, the finger scissoring happens on the raft, but if you blink you'll miss it (and just how does Cropsy get to the raft? or was he there all along?) Keep the faith, brother. Maybe there is a print out there somewhere with even more of the good stuff.

(re-printed from another topic) - ephilman

suttercane
10-19-2000, 05:28 AM
The Burning is a very good movie I first saw it when I was about 14 and just recently I was able to see it again. All around its a little slower than I remember but the raft scene is great.
Recap-
Three teens paddle on a raft towards a canoe they see from the shore which they need to get back home. Hiding in the canoe, Cropsy jumps out, scissors open, as they approach. He snips 3 fingers off one camper ( he screams in horror holding his hand out), sticks the closed shears in the neck of another ( and pulls them out) and does what looks like a backhand slice to the other.
This scene pretty much saves the movie from average status.

creaturekid
10-19-2000, 07:08 AM
I just sorta stumbled onto The Burning, like, maybe three months ago. It's weird, since I grew up on Tom Savini movies but never made the connection between him and The Burning, and I finally found out about it this summer and went to my video store and there it was. It was pretty decent, and Jason Alexander actually has a really good part in it. His "funny dialogue" seems a lot more natural and realistic (and, more importantly, funny) than most "hip, teenage lines" from slasher movies.

Justin Kerswell
10-28-2000, 03:58 AM
Howdy. I'm new here but I thought it might be of interest to some of you that the German company Dragon is planning to release this classic slasher in the next 4-6 weeks. From what I can tell it'll be completely uncut (I understand the, recent, UK Vipco release is the old BBFC butchered copy); it won't be in widescreen (the guy I spoke to said it wasn't originally shot that way); it'll have an English language track; but I'm not sure if it'll be in NTSC or PAL (Dragon seem to have a variable consistency when it comes to one format or the other).

Also, perhaps, of interest is the fact that I'm working with Dragon to try and secure an uncut print of that other prime slasher flick, MY BLOODY VALENTINE. Legend has it it (actually, it appears to be true) that some of the cinema prints during the film's original UK cinema run were, in fact, fully uncut. As far as I know the film has never come out on any format before apart from in its butchered MPAA cut. To complicate things slightly it appears that Paramount don't own the rights to the film in Germany anymore- which could be a good thing, but tracking down the rights owners has, so far, aparently been very difficult.

If I get any more news I'll post it here.

Mark Relford
10-28-2000, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by Justin Kerswell:
Howdy. I'm new here but I thought it might be of interest to some of you that the German company Dragon is planning to release this classic slasher in the next 4-6 weeks. From what I can tell it'll be completely uncut (I understand the, recent, UK Vipco release is the old BBFC butchered copy); it won't be in widescreen (the guy I spoke to said it wasn't originally shot that way); it'll have an English language track; but I'm not sure if it'll be in NTSC or PAL (Dragon seem to have a variable consistency when it comes to one format or the other).

Also, perhaps, of interest is the fact that I'm working with Dragon to try and secure an uncut print of that other prime slasher flick, MY BLOODY VALENTINE. Legend has it it (actually, it appears to be true) that some of the cinema prints during the film's original UK cinema run were, in fact, fully uncut. As far as I know the film has never come out on any format before apart from in its butchered MPAA cut. To complicate things slightly it appears that Paramount don't own the rights to the film in Germany anymore- which could be a good thing, but tracking down the rights owners has, so far, aparently been very difficult.

If I get any more news I'll post it here.

Justin, that's GREAT news!!! Wish you luck on getting an uncut print of Bloody Valentine. Definitely keep us posted!

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

ArrowBeach
11-02-2000, 02:26 PM
It played uncut in the Japanese theatres. too bad the VHS and LD are mastered from the US print.

Dave
11-06-2000, 09:57 PM
TEST

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)