PDA

View Full Version : FEMME FATALE opinions?

RyanPC
05-27-2003, 11:26 PM
I just saw this over the weekend and was wondering what everyone else thought. While it may not be horror, it is still a thriller in my book, so that is why I am posting it here.

I, for one, was totally excited when I heard Brian De Palma was going back to thrillers, and FEMME FATALE is very much in the vein of some of his others films, such as BLOW OUT, BODY DOUBLE, RAISING CAIN, and perhaps DRESSED TO KILL. While it may not be totally like the others, it still has his trademarks (i.e. split-screen), and enough of them to remind us of his earlier work. I thought this film was extremely clever and sexy, and Rebecca Romain-Stamos was excellent (and hot) in this film! Antonio Banderas was also good and was actually funny in some parts (one scene that sticks in my mind was when he tries to get into Rebecca's apartment by saying he left his floppy disk there and he purposefully talks almost with a lisp, making him sound a little like Christopher Lowell... if you get my drift! :D). This was one great movie, in my opinion, and I sure hope De Palma decides to do many more thrillers in the future, as they are always welcome! :)

What did everyone else think? :D

RyanPC
05-28-2003, 04:10 AM
Hello? Anyone? :rolleyes: :D

maringo
05-28-2003, 07:26 PM
I also thought Femme Fatale was very good. It was similar to De Palma's earlier thrillers, yet it was far more surreal and playful.

I'm looking forward to his proposed next film, "Toyer", which is also a thriller. It's based on a book...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0446607738/qid=1054139085/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-1986764-2508721

...about a psychopath who instead of murdering his victims puts them into a coma using a surgical instrument.

RyanPC
05-28-2003, 10:24 PM
Sounds interesting... I can't wait! :)

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-29-2003, 01:36 AM
I thought that it was decent and Rebecca Romain-Stamos was hot as hell!

I did not however care much for how the movie turned out, and it may be because I have been away from DePalma's work for too long.

Thinking about ordering Blow Out soon and maybe having a bit of a DePalma film festival. It will also give me a good excuse to re-watch Femme Fatale and see if I change my mind on the second viewing.

RyanPC
05-29-2003, 01:58 AM
Yeah, Blow Out is an excellent film, definitely one of my favorite De Palma's. I think Femme Fatale will be better with a second viewing... that is how it was with me. The story is so complex that you really can't catch everything in just one viewing.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-29-2003, 02:13 AM
I think that you are most likely right about the second viewing helping out on this one Ryan.

Hoping to put together a new order from DDD soon, and hopefully Blow Out will be in the order.

Hard as hell picking things out of the wish list when you can finally afford an order! :lol:

RyanPC
05-29-2003, 02:24 AM
Well, Blow Out is relatively cheap, so it shouldn't be too much of a burden! :)

The bad thing about MGM's Blow Out DVD is the only extra is a theatrical trailer. :(

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-29-2003, 02:41 AM
Unfortunately my DVD "wish list" already has a couple of hundred titles listed on it, and I find myself always adding more. I almost go into shock thinking about how many more titles I will be adding come August!

The Chaostar
05-29-2003, 03:02 AM
I love De Palma but I thought it was bad.
I mean REALLY bad.

One big directorial Show-off, an one and a half commercial for steadycam. Pointless...

RyanPC
05-29-2003, 03:31 AM
I thought it rocked, but that is just me! :D

MaxRenn
05-29-2003, 06:26 PM
I was surprised how much I enjoyed this movie. I've seen a lot of De Palma's movies and for me this was his best since "Dressed to Kill" (although I haven't seen "The Untouchables"). "Femme Fatale" is way above stuff like "Snake Eyes", "Body Double", and "Raising Cain". The setpieces were very good especially the opening and closing sequences.

Hellbilly
05-29-2003, 07:59 PM
Yup, I was surprised at how good and clever this film turned out to be. Took me a second viewing though.

RyanPC
05-29-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by MaxRenn
I was surprised how much I enjoyed this movie. I've seen a lot of De Palma's movies and for me this was his best since "Dressed to Kill" (although I haven't seen "The Untouchables"). "Femme Fatale" is way above stuff like "Snake Eyes", "Body Double", and "Raising Cain". The setpieces were very good especially the opening and closing sequences.

I agree it is better than Raising Cain (which isn't too bad, either, in my opinion), but I loved Body Double, so I don't know which I like best. I will agree, however, that Femme Fatale is beautifully shot, just as Dressed To Kill was. Femme Fatale is probably most similar to Dressed To Kill out of all his films, since it has his trademark style, wit, and suspense that both films share. However, I prefer Dressed To Kill only slightly more than Femme Fatale-- both are brilliant films, though. :p

legnadibrom
06-02-2003, 10:52 AM
i saw this alone in a theater, thats the only movie that happened with,
banderas does that gayman lisp very well,
good movie, better than "the fury" at least!

RyanPC
06-02-2003, 02:16 PM
Hey I liked The Fury! :D

wago70
06-09-2003, 07:41 PM
My favorite shot in the film is when that hot model was running in those thigh-high boots - all in glorious slo-mo. Too much! Also Stamos was quite the stunner in the opening sequence - loved the slicked down hair. Very Vogue.

RyanPC
06-09-2003, 09:54 PM
Actually, I didn't like that damn slicked down hair... but I love it when she has it down with curls! :sperm::sperm:

JW77
06-17-2003, 01:28 PM
Becky was hot as hell, but I thought the movie fell really flat. I never once gave a shit about the storyline, or what happened to any of the characters.

And the big gimmick -- those who have seen it know what I mean -- didn't work at all.

All in all, I'd have to say it was a big dud.

indiephantom
07-23-2003, 05:56 PM
I'm a huge DePalma. Did my geekboy fan hello to him in a mall last year.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about Femme Fatale but this is a film that certainly gets better with a second viewing. It's so damn gorgeous that I'm able to look past many of its shortcomings. I think the story is almost a poor man's Mulholland Drive --a film I consider sexier, more engaging, and superior in most every; although DePalma can hold his own in the visual category.

Stamos really grew on me...I was iffy about her performance the first time, thinking she was just a hot bod, but I see now that it really works well.

For some reason, it just doesn't come together as satisfyling as it feels like it could. There are several DePalma films I find superior, particularly Dressed to Kill.

I'm still damn happy to own it though. :)