PDA

View Full Version : The Town that Dreaded Sundown

Leatherfacefan
03-31-2001, 07:42 PM
I was told about this film by someone (I think my friend), and I was just wandering if anyone has seen it. If they have, is it any good?

Vdlman
03-31-2001, 09:46 PM
It's been a while since the last time I saw it, but it's a pretty decent '70s horror flick. It's supposedly based on a true story from back in the '40s about a killer who terrorizes a small town in Texas.

Rock
04-02-2001, 03:28 PM
Actually, it happened in and around Texarkana, Arkansas...you can read all about it at crimelibrary.com...fans of TV's Gilligan's Island may (or may not) get a weird kick out of seeing Dawn Wells (MaryAnne) menaced (and shot!) by a hooded serial killer in one scene.

gunner
04-02-2001, 04:47 PM
I loved this film.One thing that makes it different is narration.It gives the film a documentary feel.There is some goofy parts involving a dumb cop nicknamed "sparkplug".If memory serves me correctly the actor who played the texas ranger who helped on the hunt for the killer also played in Mountaintop Motel Massacre as the pastor.I could be wrong but they do look ALOT alike.Guess I'll have to check the imdb.

Mutilated Prey
02-18-2013, 04:15 AM
So, for the joy of resurrecting old threads I figured I'd put this post here.

I just watched Seven Psychopaths, and there is a scene where one of the psychopaths is telling his story where he and his lady killed some people back in the day. One of the clips is where they do in the Phantom Killer in Texarkana! I actually missed the very beginning initially where they say "Texarkana Moonlight Murderer" on the screen. I just saw the Phnatom pop up in the back seat of a 1940's car and they dump gasoline on him, cut off his arm and torch him - I was like "wait a sec, that guy looks awfully familiar!" :lol:

Shannafey
02-18-2013, 04:47 AM
So, for the joy of resurrecting old threads I figured I'd put this post here.

I just watched Seven Psychopaths, and there is a scene where one of the psychopaths is telling his story where he and his lady killed some people back in the day. One of the clips is where they do in the Phantom Killer in Texarkana! I actually missed the very beginning initially where they say "Texarkana Moonlight Murderer" on the screen. I just saw the Phnatom pop up in the back seat of a 1940's car and they dump gasoline on him, cut off his arm and torch him - I was like "wait a sec, that guy looks awfully familiar!" :lol:

Holy Crap! Just watched it tonight and didn't get the reference.

Mutilated Prey
02-18-2013, 04:57 AM
Yeah, rewind it Guy! Pretty cool!

baggio
10-17-2013, 07:47 PM
Just found out they remade this movie. It's in post production as we speak.

Kim Bruun
10-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Actually, it doesn't look like an outright remake. From the IMDB profile:

65 years after a masked serial killer terrorized the small town of Texarkana, the so-called 'moonlight murders' begin again. Is it a copycat or something even more sinister? A lonely high school girl, with dark secrets of her own, may be the key to catching him.

It looks more along the lines of an alternate take / pseudo-sequel. Either way, I'm not quite sure what to think about it.

deepred
10-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Actually, it doesn't look like an outright remake. From the IMDB profile:

It looks more along the lines of an alternate take / pseudo-sequel. Either way, I'm not quite sure what to think about it.

It's from the creators of American Horror Story. It might be interesting.

mclay18
07-10-2015, 05:28 AM
For some reason, MGM/Orion released the film on VOD and let Image Entertainment release it on DVD almost a year later. (No Blu-ray release.)

http://www.dvdempire.com/1743611/town-that-dreaded-sundown-the-movie.html?qs=Town%20That%20Dreaded%20Sundown,%20T he

Dobby
07-10-2015, 05:37 AM
For some reason, MGM/Orion released the film on VOD and let Image Entertainment release it on DVD almost a year later. (No Blu-ray release.)

http://www.dvdempire.com/1743611/town-that-dreaded-sundown-the-movie.html?qs=Town%20That%20Dreaded%20Sundown,%20T he

The blu-ray is a bestbuy exclusive you can buy it from them only.

rxfiend
07-10-2015, 06:21 AM
Best Buy carries the blu-ray in store (though I'm sure quantities are limited). Got my copy today for $10!

It's me, Billy
07-10-2015, 01:51 PM
The Blu-ray is a Best Buy exclusive until September 8. At that time it will be available at all retailers.

The DVD is available everywhere now.

Shannafey
07-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Best Buy carries the blu-ray in store (though I'm sure quantities are limited). Got my copy today for $10!

Couldn't find one.

rxfiend
07-11-2015, 01:35 AM
Couldn't find one.

Well that's BB for ya! I know the BBs around here, it's hit or miss when it comes to these exclusives. I always check their website to make sure it's in stock at the store before I go. This particular movie, they had to go in the back and get it as the website said they had it, but it was not out on the floor nor was there even a spot for it! :fucked:

Mutilated Prey
07-12-2015, 12:51 AM
Mine showed up at my local best buy. Just ordered an in store pickup. Is there anything special with the packaging?

chancetx
07-12-2015, 04:35 AM
Mine showed up at my local best buy. Just ordered an in store pickup. Is there anything special with the packaging?

You've probably got yours by now but if anyone else is wondering, there's a really cheap slipcover with the Best Buy exclusive sticker. No sticker on the actual BD shrinkwrap. I'm betting the slipcovers are only there for the Best Buy versions and when it goes to all retailers in September there won't be one. You could print your own slip on higher quality stock.

Mutilated Prey
07-12-2015, 05:25 AM
You've probably got yours by now but if anyone else is wondering, there's a really cheap slipcover with the Best Buy exclusive sticker. No sticker on the actual BD shrinkwrap. I'm betting the slipcovers are only there for the Best Buy versions and when it goes to all retailers in September there won't be one. You could print your own slip on higher quality stock.

I'm picking it up tomorrow - thanks for the info!

Katatonia
07-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Well that's BB for ya! I know the BBs around here, it's hit or miss when it comes to these exclusives. I always check their website to make sure it's in stock at the store before I go. This particular movie, they had to go in the back and get it as the website said they had it, but it was not out on the floor nor was there even a spot for it! :fucked:

Yeah, no kidding. They may just as well close the store here (no big loss) because they rarely ever get anything.

Commando? No, never got any. This one? Nope.

These Best Buy "exclusives" are just a joke. Oh gee I can order it off their website? Yeah...and it'll arrive damaged from those jokers. :lol:

Mutilated Prey
07-12-2015, 06:16 PM

So, yeah, just got mine - wtf is up with those cheap ass slipcovers? Crappy crap crap! Whatever, just glad I got one.

fceurich39
07-12-2015, 06:43 PM
here is a review of the new Blu-ray http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Town-That-Dreaded-Sundown-Blu-ray/118385/#Review

CPT HOOK
07-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Even though I wasn't a fan of the remake, I have the original on blu-ray already and the slasher completest in me couldn't help myself, so I did end up buying the blu-ray. I still didn't love it, but I was able to enjoy it much more the second time around. The script is pretty weak, but the movie is extremely well made and easy to look at. The kill scenes are pretty intense and brutal, so the movie definitely delivers in that regard. The attack scenes are also very well spaced out, and the movie has a very brisk runtime at 86 minutes. The killer reveal is a big eye-roller, and the main girl was a mousy bore, but I was expecting all that this time.

Plus, it was great to see Edward Herrmann again. Love that guy, RIP.

So they suckered me in with the dirt cheap price. I probably won't watch it again for a long time, but I am glad I gave it a second chance. It's majorly flawed and a missed opportunity, yet still very watchable. I'm okay with owning this.

Harry Warden
07-14-2015, 01:31 AM
So, yeah, just got mine - wtf is up with those cheap ass slipcovers? Crappy crap crap! Whatever, just glad I got one.

Yeah, I just picked one up at Best Buy too. Christ, I had to go through 8 copies before I could find one where the disc wasn't popped loose inside but I did find one and the damn slipcovers...cheap crap is an understatement..:lol:

MisterTwister
07-16-2015, 02:01 AM
I don't have a Best Buy near me so I grabbed the DVD from Wal-Fart.

Thought it was a great slasher. Didn't mind the reveal. The end.