PDA

View Full Version : Stupid laser disc question

dwatts
05-30-2003, 01:13 AM
Were LD's regon coded? Or was this a nightmare held over for DVD only? How about PAL/NTSC conversion? Common in the machines?

Mortado
05-30-2003, 01:31 AM
I can say there was no region coding. Not sure about PAL/NTSC converters in the boxes, I know mine doesn't have one.

Paff
05-30-2003, 01:54 AM
Nope, no region codes. No menus or navigation either. Nor can LD disable your fast-forward button and force you to watch the FBI warning.

I love DVD, and it's my primary viewing medium, but I still appreciate being able to pop in a disc and press "Play", and start the movie up right there and then.

Dave
05-30-2003, 02:24 AM
I hate DVD menus. They suck, all of them. I hate having to wait to get the damn movie started.

There are some LD players that support PAL and NTSC output. However, here in the U.S. you would need an external device attached to it to do the PAL/NTSC conversion. Those cost a few hundred (seems silly now with many DVD players having them built in).

Now, if you were in the UK and had a PAL/NTSC capable TV, you'd be set.

Also, LD's main popularity was always in U.S. and Japan, both of which are NTSC. There are some rare movies out there on PAL LD, but none really justify the added expense for people in the U.S.

dwatts
05-30-2003, 07:03 AM
I wonder how many hours I have spent watching FBI warnings, logos for DVD makers, and that freaking Universal sign.. Da da daaaa, da da da daaaaa, da da daaaaaa daaaaa daaaaaa da da da da daaaaa, da da daaaaa, whump.

Wolf Man
05-30-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by dwatts
I wonder how many hours I have spent watching FBI warnings, logos for DVD makers, and that freaking Universal sign.. Da da daaaa, da da da daaaaa, da da daaaaaa daaaaa daaaaaa da da da da daaaaa, da da daaaaa, whump. That's when I make my popcorn. A bag of microwave popcorn takes just about exactly as long as the pre-movie BS.

dwatts
05-30-2003, 09:05 AM
How did you get to the special features without a menu?

Paff
05-30-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by dwatts
How did you get to the special features without a menu?

They're chapter encoded, and linear, just like a normal CD. Special features are after the movie, or on another side. You just go to the chapter you want.

For audio commentaries, you just select the audio track you want while the disc is playing.

Dave
05-30-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Wolf Man
That's when I make my popcorn. A bag of microwave popcorn takes just about exactly as long as the pre-movie BS.

Heh heh. You know, that excuse reminds me of some of the LDers excuses to justify having to get up to change the disc.

"Take a piss." "Make some popcorn." "Grab a coke."

That's one thing I love about my new DVD burner. It has very, very basic menus. I wouldn't have it any other way. Press play and that sucker goes immediately to the menu, giving you the choices you have available. No animated bullshit to deal with. :banana:

Hernster
05-30-2003, 05:59 PM
What a top Thread.

Answering many Q's I've had about LD's.

Thanks to DWatt's!

Wolf Man
05-30-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Dave
Heh heh. You know, that excuse reminds me of some of the LDers excuses to justify having to get up to change the disc.

"Take a piss." "Make some popcorn." "Grab a coke." Well, I didn't say I like all the bullshit. I could just as easily make my popcorn before I start the movie, but that way I don't have to wait through "FBI - Don't copy this movie or we'll kill your dog" and the Universal daaa daaa daaaa da da daaaaaaa. :)