PDA

View Full Version : a few favorites coming to DVD

Mllemorte
06-01-2003, 07:01 AM
i am excited about a few classic films coming to dvd ! The beast from 20,000 fathoms, The Ghoul ( Karloff) and The Black Scorpion

:lol:

I am a big fan of harryhausen and any other Big Bug/monster movies.. and I am especially excited for The beast from 20,000 fathoms to be released. It has been a long time since i seen that one. I dont have an exact date yet.

MaxRenn
06-01-2003, 06:06 PM
Anyone seen "The Ghoul"? I'm really interested in getting the DVD in August.

marioscido
06-01-2003, 08:07 PM
I've never heard of this film, nor the director, T. Haynes Hunter ("The Ghoul" seems to have been his last fearure). What studio is putting it out on dvd? It looks like "Something Weird" had released it in VHS.

I found this at the imdb:

"The history of this Karloff gem is fascinating. 'The Ghoul' had completely disappeared, not even the trailer survived. Yet in the 1980's (if I remember correctly), a lone nitrate print turned up in Prague, (with Hungarian subtitles) in *appalling* condition. Apparently, the nitrate film had shrunk to a mere third of it's original width, was exceptionally brittle and in a number of pieces yet was effectively restored... albeit not to the quality of it's release. Therefore, I was prepared to overlook the graininess, variable contrast and sound-track distortions."

marioscido
06-01-2003, 08:20 PM
And this from DVD Drive-In:

THE GHOUL: 70th ANNIVERSARY RESTORED EDITION--Karloff fans rejoice! Available for years only in murky transfers made from a ragged, cropped Czechoslovakian print, MGM's new transfer is the first U.S. release utilizing the film's original 35mm elements held by the British Film Institute. Extensive digital restoration was used to remove thousands of instances of film damage and clean up the soundtrack. The result is a transfer of THE GHOUL that looks and sounds better than anything available for 70 years.

Looks promising!!

MaxRenn
06-02-2003, 03:55 AM
Thanks, Mario - interesting stuff. That must have been a challenging restoration job. Certainly seems worth a $10 purchase.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009PY38.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

marioscido
06-02-2003, 10:18 PM
Oh yeah, I saw that cover on the MGM page, but it didn't strike me as a film from the 30s; I thought it was a 70s' title or something. Looks like a definite buy from my perspective. I love the feel of a lot of the films form th 30s.

I'm still hoping to see "Mad Love" (1935), by Karl Freund, get a dvd release. That would make me happy. It, too, is owned by MGM. Maybe next year!

mcchrist
06-02-2003, 10:26 PM
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms is so mine it isn't funny! :D

Yowie
06-03-2003, 10:42 PM
I have the UK VHS from Rank and this print actually looks pretty good, but the first time I saw "The Ghoul" I was disappointed as the movie makes the mistake (IMO) many movies this old make by having not enough "monster action", in this case Karloff's resurrected character. He has a few lines in the beginning, not much in the middle, and then comes back again at the end. In between we get the usual boring hero and heroine time filling nonsense, something about searching for a powerful ring. It does have a good cast though, and being a Karloff fan I'll definitely buy it even if MGM's cover looks like it's The Incredible Hulk. :cry:

dwatts
06-04-2003, 11:33 AM
Damn - that cover sucks.