PDA

View Full Version : Body Parts

Mark Relford
01-21-2001, 10:41 PM
Eric Red's Body Parts doesn't get mentioned on the forum very much. Did anyone like it? It's definitely a guilty pleasure in my book. Sure, it's flawed and sometimes silly, but I think it's entertaining for the most part. Jeff Fahey gives a good performance as the unfortunate donee and it's always nice to see Brad Dourif giving his usual loony performance. Red filmed some very memorable scenes. (Fahey's automobile accident and the operating table sequence come to mind.)
It's a shame that Eric Red didn't contribute any more movies to the genre. He has a pretty decent track record. (Writing gigs on Near Dark and The Hitcher, direction on the overlooked Bad Moon.)
If Paramount ever releases Body Parts on DVD, I would be happy to include it in my collection.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

Jasondog
01-22-2001, 07:35 AM
I agree, I was pleasantly suprised by this movie and I would love to own it.

ArrowBeach
01-22-2001, 09:39 AM
Didnt Eric Red did that disappointing Roy Schieder thriller COHEN AND TATE?

JBENE
01-22-2001, 06:11 PM
Sadly in early 2000 Eric Red drove his car through the window of an LA pool hall,killing two patrons and injuring others,then tried to cut his own throat with a broken bottle.I got this info from FANGO #200.

Mark Relford
01-22-2001, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by ArrowBeach:
Didnt Eric Red did that disappointing Roy Schieder thriller COHEN AND TATE?

Haven't seen it. Red also helped out on the screenplay for Bigelow's Blue Steel. Jamie Lee Curtis was good in it, but they should've had a better actor for the psycho. Ron Silver's performance was laughable!

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

Mark Relford
05-23-2004, 02:23 AM
Where's the love for Body Parts? Any more fans? Can't wait for the DVD! :banana:
I bought a used VHS of Red's Undertow, a seldom seen '96 movie with Lou Diamond Phillips. (Not a good sign!) Always wanted to see it despite the poor reviews.

wizzer
05-23-2004, 03:26 AM
i'm going to get it when it comes out. i recorded from cable and the scene when he crashes through the windshield is pretty funny in slow motion. all the scenes where it shows the arm with all the fresh wounds and sutures really make me uncomfotable. they actualy make me grab my arm and turn away.

dmeister
05-23-2004, 04:38 AM
One of my top ten horror flicks.

dmeister

shift
05-23-2004, 05:40 AM
Love this movie. I'll get it.

onebyone
05-23-2004, 07:45 AM
I love Body Parts, and have been waiting for a dvd for a long time. The idea itself is so amusing (Evillllll organs! Evilllllll!), the fact that it is pretty well done (for the type of movie it is) and Jeff Fahey & Brad Dourif manage to do some good acting AND look pretty good is all a bonus.

wizzer
05-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Brad Dourif manages to look pretty good

:nervous: :eek2: :nervous:

he's like a sweaty balding dirty painter :lol:

onebyone
05-23-2004, 04:51 PM
:nervous: :eek2: :nervous:

he's like a sweaty balding dirty painter

Why is it guys get snarky when ladies like men who aren't conventionally good looking? I find that odd, because I seriously doubt they look like Brad Pitt themselves. They should rejoice.

wizzer
05-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Why is it guys get snarky when ladies like men who aren't conventionally good looking? I find that odd, because I seriously doubt they look like Brad Pitt themselves. They should rejoice.

i wasn't trying to be critical and i can agree with jeff fahey's character but dourif is a strange looking character and usualy pretty scary. you can like whoever you want but it just struck me as strange since when i think about his character in the movie i think off balance-excentric-weirdo rather than smooth ladies man. i'm just talking about the character he plays in the movie though. i'm sure in real life brad dourif is quite the ladies man. :)

dmeister
09-24-2004, 08:53 PM
I picked up the new Body Parts DVD. (I've been waiting for years for its release.) It's skimpy on the extras, but it does have a pretty decent transfer (anamorphic, too) and 5.1 audio. Still a great freakin' movie.

dmeister

y2doublet
09-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Got mine in the mailbox the other day, but haven't had time to pop it into the player yet. But from what I can remember when I saw it years ago I liked it.

Morg
09-25-2004, 12:21 AM
Great thread as I'm a fan of this film too. Went to pick it up at BB on 9-14 the official release date. BB didn't have it, and the employee said the release date wasn't till 9-21, which is odd as even the BB website says a 9-14 release date. As of right now I haven't found this on site anywhere. What's the deal? Anyone else having a problem finding this movie at any of the usual places? If not, where'd you pick it up? I'll order it online, but it deserves to be stocked IMO.

dmeister
09-25-2004, 12:34 AM
It was released last week. I bought mine at one of my local Best Buys, though they didn't put copies on the shelves at any of the Best Buys around here until last Friday.

I love this film. The script, directing, acting, cinematography, and even the musical score are all top-notch, in my opinion.

dmeister

Joni Backman
09-25-2004, 04:35 AM
I got it few days ago from DVDSoon.

It was great to see this in OAR. Better film than I remembered. It has some great gore FX (wild shotgun mayhem at the end) which are badly wasted in P&S versions.

Erick H.
09-25-2004, 05:30 AM
I'm fond of it,it looks like it was inspired by the old stories THE HANDS OF ORLAC and CHOICE CUTS (if I'm remembering that title correctly).The handcuff scene was fun,the opening car crash was really scary and the shot of the guy walking off with his reclaimed limbs slung over his shoulder always cracked me up.Fun film,I'll get it.

Mark Relford
09-25-2004, 06:56 PM
Great thread as I'm a fan of this film too. Went to pick it up at BB on 9-14 the official release date. BB didn't have it, and the employee said the release date wasn't till 9-21, which is odd as even the BB website says a 9-14 release date. As of right now I haven't found this on site anywhere. What's the deal? Anyone else having a problem finding this movie at any of the usual places? If not, where'd you pick it up? I'll order it online, but it deserves to be stocked IMO.

I'm having the same problem with my Best Buy. :( They're doing a lousy job with the horror section as of late. I had a hard time getting an employee to search the backroom for Criterion's Videodrome. It was listed as available for that store and it was like pulling teeth! :mad: I'm going the on-line route with Body Parts. Can't wait to see it in widescreen!

meep
09-26-2004, 05:42 AM
I've always liked body parts. I watched the dvd earlier. The nice new 2.35:1 aspect ratio looks great. It was a pleasure to watch it the way it was meant to be seen. The 5.1 mix was okay. Not too much on the surrounds department but adequate enough.
The film was enjoyable, but it didn't hold up as I hoped it would. There are some silly plot contrivances and holes, and the third act is a little more than ridiculous and underdeveloped (probaby chunks of plot left on the cutting room floor). But I enjoyed it. Probably one of faheys better acting jobs. Dourif is fun in his small role. Some nice gore shots of the victims without their appendages still remained.

When I heard about eric red's accident I couldn't help but think of the movie. Life really does imitate art sometimes.

MorallySound
12-21-2006, 05:00 PM
I watched this this morning. I was suprised, it's a pretty kick ass movie. If you haven't seen it, check it out!

dmeister
12-21-2006, 05:11 PM
It's one of my personal Top Ten.

dmeister

blood vamp
09-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Mark I loved Body Parts. In fact i love all Eric Reds films,especially Near Dark and The Hitcher. Reds films have a cold very unsafe quality which really adds to anxiety and a feeling of terror for the viewer. Cohen and Tate needs a dvd release,its long overdue.