PDA

View Full Version : The Wraith (R2)

Hellbilly
06-01-2003, 09:30 AM
Re-titled "Interceptor" in Europe, this little supernatural (or science fiction?) action vehicle had a huge cult following - especially in Germany - although the original PG-13 rated version was cut to hell there.

Story: Jake (Charlie Sheen) is the new guy in a small Arizona town, arriving on a motorbike and flirting with Keri (Sherilyn Fenn) who works at a Burger Joint (Kay's Big Burgers!) and happens to be the girlfriend of Packard (Nick Cassavetes), a jealous and psychotic speed freak who is the leader of a gang of deranged street pirates.
They get a kick out of forced car races, keeping other people's cars after they lost the race.
When a mysterious black sports car pops up and starts killing off his gang one by one not only Packard but also the local Sheriff Loomis (Randy Quaid) suspect that this might has something to do with a little hidden dark secret from their past ...

Bring On The Swiss!

The year is 1986 and we are literally DROWNING in cheese here.
Director Mike Marvin - the guy who also unleashed Hamburger ... The Motion Picture the same year - continues his fetish with the ground beef and shows us many greasy close ups of burgers frying.
You will also get to see big haired girls with no rhythm dancing on roller skates wearing weird outfits smiling while serving fries & shakes listening to the latest tunes of Robert Palmer blasting from the soundtrack! Ah, good times!
Besides all the cheese and Sherilyn Fenn's very limited acting skills (she redeems herself and shows us some boobies though) The Wraith is still a good show: many great car races/action/explosions plus you get to see Clint Howard sporting a "Eraserhead" hairdo and Nick Cassavetes repeatedly showing off his cool switchblade knife.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00007LUPH.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

How's the DVD? Bitchin'!
Marketing released this on DVD last year and the 16:9 enhanced transfer is very good. Clean and sharp image and quite colorful, the 2.0 Stereo English soundtrack is a bit "muffled" but still ok.
Extras include the English & German theatrical trailer, bio's & Artwork galleries.
They also show a comparison between the old cut version and the new, first time ever in Germany, unrated (PG-13) version we all are familiar with. The cuts they did back then were ridiculous though. Don't get me wrong, The Wraith is quite frank and violent for a PG-13 movie but removing such harmless scenes as the close up of the first victims "eyeless" head and a few drops of blood running down Casavettes hands is stupid to begin with.

If your region free - this disc is recommended!

Gnaghi
06-01-2003, 10:07 AM
one day i hope to own this disc. :banana:

Zodiac-Mindwarp
06-01-2003, 05:29 PM
Great review HB!

I really liked this movie, and I have only seen the pan and scan version on tape years ago.

I will have to keep this one in mind when I finally have enough money saved up for a overseas order.

bigdaddyhorse
06-02-2003, 12:58 AM
The Platinum disc (R1) also has the un-cut version despite the pg-13 on the artwork, but it's pan and scan without any extras.

Accion Mutante
06-02-2003, 02:06 AM

Hellbilly
06-19-2003, 10:15 PM
After watching this again today I must admit I kinda fell in love with the soundtrack :D Cheezy but catchy tunes, there.
Apparently it was released on CD, but only in Germany. I might have to track this down though.

Katatonia
07-13-2007, 06:02 AM
I recently purchased the R4 DVD (Force Video) from EzyDVD. It was on sale at the time, and only $7.67 shipped which was a superb deal!

The anamorphic widescreen transfer looks amazing on this disc. It looks as if it was perhaps a transfer from the original film negative.

ArrowBeach
07-13-2007, 08:05 AM
CD was also released in Japan

ekent
07-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Could they have used the MonstersHD transfer for this?

Katatonia
07-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Could they have used the MonstersHD transfer for this?

The Aussie DVD? It was released back in 2001.

Criswell
08-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Pretty cool 80's film than naturally made no real sense at all.