PDA

View Full Version : Jason X - not until August 2001 !!!!

Dave
10-23-2000, 06:12 AM
Ouch! Saw over at Dark Horizons that Jason X isn't due out until August 2001. That sucks...

On a good note that gives them lots of time do a Jason Goes to Hell DVD just in time for the Jason X theatrical release.

ctyner
10-23-2000, 06:39 AM
They already have their Monday update up, and...

Jason X: Worried about that delay of "Jason X"? Despite what the general notes say, others in New Line have a different answer and the Diabolical Dominion heard this:

"The publicist for JASON X and Crystal Lake Entertainment, told us recently that no official date has been actually been set for the film, even though plenty of them are indeed being tossed around. He said that no one in the film's production has heard of a set date and that New Line has not even seen the film yet, so their decision on when to release it will come with that the suits think of it. I have heard that the crew expects a positive release date by the end of the month, but the aforementioned date of April 13th still seems very likely. The Dominion has performed several interviews with the cast and crew and they say they are all still being led to believe that April is still the official month - and most fans are saying that it would be crazy to not release the film on a perfectly good Friday the 13th. I'll get you more details later and try to see what I can weasel out of New Line. After speaking to them, I have heard both August 17th and Fall, 2001, both of which seem unlikely for a film that is now completely finished and awaiting release. Any previous dates that have been mentioned by New Line, on newsgroups, sites, etc... are all presumably estimated."

------------------
My DVD list (http://www.dvdtracker.com/~ctyner) | bigwolfoncampus.org (http://www.bigwolfoncampus.org)

Mark Relford
10-23-2000, 06:57 AM
Even if it's a long wait, I'm sure it'll be worth it. Good or bad, the return of the hockey masked one will be much welcomed!

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

evileye
10-23-2000, 08:40 PM
Hate to be a downer here but although I can admit the first few installments were not exactly Oscar contenders, I think the whole tacky science-fiction angle is just plain stupid. I know this view can elicit a lot of anger, but it's a personal opinion. I like the majoirty of the series and that's why I am responding.

If the intended fan base really wanted to see something "radically different", they would have never tuned in for parts 2, 3, 4 & 5. Let's face it, slasher fans actually like the shop-worn formula and trying to pepper it with science fiction is just nuts. The rapidly diminishing box-office return of the series should have proved that by now (no, Jason doesn't have to be funny or a supernatural Freddy entity.. they even stopped referencing his being a retarded child after a while).

Maybe we should have a PSYCHO 2001 where Norman Bates is an astronaut/android who slashes chicks on Mars on top of a mololith. I'm sure THAT fan base would be screaming to the heavens!

You would think that New Line would happen to notice that these Slasher Knock-off are still in vogue (despite being savaged by critics, even URBAN LEGEND 2 managed to gouge a hugh chunk of the box-office and that was hardly "art" now was it?).

Sure BRIDE OF CHUCKY succesfully took the humor route but then again... the original was rather funny (intentionally). FRIDAY THE 13TH on the other hand was not a gigglefest (unless you count bad screenwriting and wooden acting).

I say they cash in on the SCREAM-athon and follow HALLOWEEN H20 by giving us a mass-market horror flick that not only will please crowds but do justice to fans who have paid attention to every detail of the series. As it stands, most people are rolling their eyes at the mention of Jason in space. If a new installment would rake the cash that UL2 did, not only would you see the series sail to part 13, but i think the home video versiona would be handeled with a little more care (I don't think the SCREAM boxed set would exist is the films tanked).

I for one can safely wait for a better FRIDAY sequel. They can push JASON X and FREDDY VS JASON back all they want. I'll wait for New Line to go back to Camp!

Lawrence
10-24-2000, 11:01 AM
Here, here!

Mark Relford
10-25-2000, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by evileye:
Hate to be a downer here but although I can admit the first few installments were not exactly Oscar contenders, I think the whole tacky science-fiction angle is just plain stupid. I know this view can elicit a lot of anger, but it's a personal opinion. I like the majoirty of the series and that's why I am responding.

If the intended fan base really wanted to see something "radically different", they would have never tuned in for parts 2, 3, 4 & 5. Let's face it, slasher fans actually like the shop-worn formula and trying to pepper it with science fiction is just nuts. The rapidly diminishing box-office return of the series should have proved that by now (no, Jason doesn't have to be funny or a supernatural Freddy entity.. they even stopped referencing his being a retarded child after a while).

Maybe we should have a PSYCHO 2001 where Norman Bates is an astronaut/android who slashes chicks on Mars on top of a mololith. I'm sure THAT fan base would be screaming to the heavens!

You would think that New Line would happen to notice that these Slasher Knock-off are still in vogue (despite being savaged by critics, even URBAN LEGEND 2 managed to gouge a hugh chunk of the box-office and that was hardly "art" now was it?).

Sure BRIDE OF CHUCKY succesfully took the humor route but then again... the original was rather funny (intentionally). FRIDAY THE 13TH on the other hand was not a gigglefest (unless you count bad screenwriting and wooden acting).

I say they cash in on the SCREAM-athon and follow HALLOWEEN H20 by giving us a mass-market horror flick that not only will please crowds but do justice to fans who have paid attention to every detail of the series. As it stands, most people are rolling their eyes at the mention of Jason in space. If a new installment would rake the cash that UL2 did, not only would you see the series sail to part 13, but i think the home video versiona would be handeled with a little more care (I don't think the SCREAM boxed set would exist is the films tanked).

I for one can safely wait for a better FRIDAY sequel. They can push JASON X and FREDDY VS JASON back all they want. I'll wait for New Line to go back to Camp!

Evileye, you bring up some good points about the new direction of the series, but I still think it might be a blast to watch! At the very least, it can be an entertainingly bad movie.
BTW, your idea for Psycho 2001 is fucking hilarious! Old Hitch would definitely roll over in his grave on that one!

------------------

Jasondog
10-25-2000, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by evileye:

Yeah, i agree, lets not progress the series what so ever and watch Jason hack 'n' slash his way through Crystal Lake again. That would be great. I hate when people try to actually do something with an old franchise. Matter of fact, i just wish they would keep remaking Friday the 13th 1-4 over and over again. I dont understand what one can find entertaining about something that tries to take a new direction.

evileye
10-25-2000, 01:56 PM
Take the JAMES BOND series:

New Actors
New sets and locales
New themes

.....and the same damn movie script. And people come back every time. Within the confines of this rigid structure, a good performance or twist comes along and this is cool (good writing always helps). Same thing with STAR WARS. Hardly original, but it still walked home with fan approval and cashola galore. I'm sure if Mr. Lucas turned that franchise into something radically different the collective world would fall apart ("what?? STAR WARS EPISODE 2 is now a western/comedy set in 1942 in Wyoming??!?!").

But a radical departure from the formula always hurts a franchise. Maybe the next Bond should be a all-out comedy and twist the genre? Well, you can bet your cash the pruists will scream and the film will flop!

FRIDAY THE 13TH is a slasher series. Not a Romero zombie flick. Not a comedy. Not Lost In Space. Just a slasher picture! Just like SCREAM, HALLOWEEN, THE BURNING, MY BLOODY VALENTINE and every other flick that has made our hard earned cash while cannibalizing eachother. Even though the logic in the series was always a little weak, the past few installments have just been ludicrous, as if the producers have said "screw it... lets just do any damn thing with this series. It still has a hockey mask in it so these idiots will come".

Maybe if they want something different, they shouldn't so a horror film at all. Maybe have a Woody Allen-ish drama where people sit around and lament about the past deaths in the series at a coffe-shop. Arty, huh? I'm sure it will be a smash! And they can even put a hocky mask on the table to jog our minds to what this series used to be.

"Hey, Soon Yi. Pass me the spear-gun."

AceRimRat
10-25-2000, 09:08 PM
As a big fan of the F13 series, I certainly enjoy a nice, brainless slasher, and I appreciate some of the twists of the series (i.e. the girl in Part 7 being able to fight back using telekinesis).

I think the key to a successful F13 future movie is the script. (Notice I didn't say "plot.")

I think what would help the movie the most is if it's _SCARY_. Or exciting. If it makes you jump.

OK, I think the idea of Jason in space is a bad one. That's not the point. I didn't think the non-camp ones were bad because they weren't at the camp (parts 8 and 9). I mean, I thought part 8 sucked, but I like part 9.

The thing is, if the movie sucks, it doesn't matter if it's at Crystal Lake (you can make a case for part 3 or part 4) or on the moon.

The sequels that worked, I think, were the scarier ones that offered something a _LITTLE_ fresh while staying true enough to the theme to be believable.

Give me a movie with good, scary moments, a few thrills, a twist or two to keep it fresh and some top-notch kill scenes. That's the recipe for a good F13 movie, IMHO.

There's nothing wrong with a twist if it adds to the scares and stays true to the series. It doesn't have to be, and shouldn't be, a rehash. But it should be scary, and it shouldn't be a twist that alienates fans or, worse yet, makes them laugh at the wrong stuff. And I worry that a Jason-in-space movie will do both.

Course, if that stupid Leprechaun can go into space, why can't Jason?

Jasondog
10-25-2000, 09:12 PM
i like variety in my slashers. Just like i do from every genre of flicks. The only F13 that i think sucks was Jason takes Manhattan. I think parts 6, 7, 8 (even though is sucks), and 9 were vastly different from one through 4. Part 5 (which is one of my fav episodes) even succeeded where Halloween 3 didnt.

Basically, Jason, like James Bond, already has the same script in each movie. He stalks, and kills, kills, kills. They dont need to change it, but i wouldnt mind them spicing things up a bit. Like IS done in most of the James Bond films.

Call me old school but i would actually like a little fresh air blown into one of my favourite franchises.

evileye
10-26-2000, 12:59 AM
Sadly I have a soft spot for this series and even if the fan-base gets a kick out of JASON X, most audiences will roll their eyes and roast it. Why should we care?

A) Box-office hits tend to mandate special edition DVDs.
B) I am sure the piss-poor box-office returns of JASON GOES TO HELL had Paramount sighing in relief they dumped the series. I for one would love to see PART 10 (or 11 or 12 ...) become a hit. I would like to see Paramount stop laughing at the series (and maybe rush out a decent boxed set to cash in on the success).
C) Big box-office means we can expect to see the series survive to 13 (and more probably) without being snuffed by New Line and becoming a straight-to-video dog that gets zero budget and zero distribution.

If Sean Cunningham wants to make a science fiction film, I say great. Thats an original idea! But since he doesn't wanna do an original film (and maybe even start a NEW franchise), I say don't mess with success. The entire JASON X premise has people groaning in anticipation. I'm sure the product will not change their minds!

Maybe they should go back and see where audience interest started dwinding (around part 6) and reverse the damage. Toss in one of those trendy "I-wanna-break-out-of-TV" casts and a clever, playful even, but serious slasher script and you you have a sturdy formula.

There is a reason why SCREAM can recycle it's ideas 3 times and rake the cash in while LEPRECHAUN IN SPACE festers on the video shelves.

God, now all we need is Coolio to fight Jason in the hood!

Mark Relford
10-26-2000, 03:28 AM
No offense guys, but I think it's a cool idea. The Camp Blood setting bores the shit out of me. It's basically the same premise, except it's set in the far future on a space station. Besides, it's more of a what if type of story.
There's only two things that worry me about this sequel and they are:

(1) The director of The Horror Show (UGH!!!) is directing.

(2) Jason will be getting a "new look" in the second half of the movie.

Regardless, I'll still be in line to see this upcoming flick.

P.S. How about Dolemite vs. Jason? (hehehe)

------------------

Jason25
10-26-2000, 05:37 AM
I'm pretty excited to see Jason X when it comes out. I think it sounds like it might be cool, but I'm not going to go into it expecting too much.

On a side note, I really wish Paramount would release more than 2 Friday the 13th movies a year.

Alan Smithee
10-27-2000, 05:40 AM
I couldn't agree more with evileye. The entire premise of Jason X makes me want to puke. Really, they should've stopped after part 4, IMHO. I sure as hell am not going to pay to see it on the big screen, and the only way I would watch it on DVD is if evileye's ideas for the sequel were actually filmed and included as supplements.

evileye
10-27-2000, 03:02 PM
How's this for an idea:

Since Steve Miner is back on the horror bandwagon, let him helm the next installment (in Panavision again to make it look less like a direct-to-video Turkey).

I imagine Amy Steele is not exactly swamped in auditions (but actually is still working), and since she was quoted as regretting turning down PART 3, maybe she could return for a new film (ala Jamie Lee Curtis in H20). And since there seems to be some confusion as to what happened to her boyfried Paul at the end of PART 2, I say she maybe a little traumatized and possibly off her rocker (no need for alcoholisim here).

Maybe she could have a son (she did want to tell Paul something in PART 2 but was cut off during their love scene.. hmmm, maybe she was pregnant). Maybe should could be a nervous, overprotecteive mother hiding something from her son!

Maybe all this HALLOWEEN H20-sounding stuff can be used to build her into a hero and then reveal she has really went psycho (ala Betsy Palmer). What a cruel twist!

Now hire Harry Manfredini and tell him to restrain his score to strings only. Hell, sample and remix the old stuff if he is too shop-worn to do another soundtrack!

Now add some WB Network teens looking to break their mold and set this back in the woods (hell.... let's try a summer camp with real kids). And hire a writer who will take it seriously and retain traces of humor in the characters and not turn the whole senario into SATURN 3.

Well, in a couple of minutes I think I have thrown together a more bankable idea than Sean Cunningham has in 5 years.

Original? Not really.
Marketable? Yeah actually.
And with the series 25th Anniversary rolling around the corner, I think this package would be a little less humiliating that JASON X.

And to go with it? BETTER DVDS!! (Maybe that is asking to much though) http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif

I guess I should hammer it out in a script and send it to New Line so they can roll their eyes and commission FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 11: JASON VS BRIDE OF CHUCKY.

Alan Smithee
10-30-2000, 04:05 PM
evileye, you never cease to amuse me. Any ridiculous, lame-ass idea that you come up with would be more fun to sit through than the reprehensible garbage that the studio wants us to watch.

KillerCannabis
10-30-2000, 08:55 PM
I hope this turns out to be a good entry in the series. The idea of Jason in space does sound a little shaky, but why are we watching the films?? Exactly..for the blood, and the gore, and the dismemberment, and decapitations. I could care less if Jason sliced people up in a retirement home (Part 24??). Sure, it would be great to see Jason back on his old stomping grounds of Crystal Lake, but seeing as how this one is in the future, it probably wont happen. Unless they just disregard this sequel when (and if) they do another. Bottom line. I'll be waiting to get tickets the morning it opens.

Mark Relford
10-31-2000, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by KillerCannabis:
I hope this turns out to be a good entry in the series. The idea of Jason in space does sound a little shaky, but why are we watching the films?? Exactly..for the blood, and the gore, and the dismemberment, and decapitations. I could care less if Jason sliced people up in a retirement home (Part 24??). Sure, it would be great to see Jason back on his old stomping grounds of Crystal Lake, but seeing as how this one is in the future, it probably wont happen. Unless they just disregard this sequel when (and if) they do another. Bottom line. I'll be waiting to get tickets the morning it opens.

Dude, that's some funny ass shit!!! I'd give my left nut to see Jason hack his way through a retirement home.

------------------

Dave
11-01-2000, 04:53 AM
I recall reading somewhere that there was going to be a long virtual reality sequency in Jason X where Jason is back in Camp Crystal Lake (at least in VR land he is).

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)