PDA

View Full Version : Sleepaway Camp

rhett
01-27-2001, 06:21 AM
Spoilers Below:

I just watched Sleepaway Camp again, and I am still perplexed as to the whole plot behind Angela and all that. What is with the flashback of her gay dad and then the shot with her on the bed?

As far as the movie goes, I've always been a fan, and like Dave said in his review, the ending is quite the shocker! Although I've always liked SC, I think that SC2 is a much 'funner' picture. What are your guys' thoughts?

Fizban
01-27-2001, 07:41 AM
SC 1 was a good flick (although the plot throws me a little off too). I totally agree with you about part 2. IMHO parts 2 and 3 were the best of the series, and fun to show on movie nights with friends. I only wish that someone would release the 2 gems on DVD http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

Cujo108
01-27-2001, 06:02 PM
Sleepaway Camp is one of my favorite slasher films, and it is way better than the two sequels in my opinion. Oh yeah, and Katherine Kahmi is HOT!

DVD Connoisseur
02-06-2001, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by rhett:
Spoilers Below:

I just watched Sleepaway Camp again, and I am still perplexed as to the whole plot behind Angela and all that. What is with the flashback of her gay dad and then the shot with her on the bed?

Further spoilers:

I could be wrong as I've only viewed the film once, but isn't Angela's "aunt" her father's gay lover? The aunt sure looks masculine and very camp. Following her father's death, I think her dad's lover became her "aunt." This would explain Angela's identity. Anyone care to confirm this theory?
:D

gunner
02-06-2001, 08:17 PM
No,aunt Martha is all women (i often wondered that myself),In fact if you go to www.sleepawaycampmovies.com (http://www.sleepawaycampmovies.com) you'll see an interview with Desiree Gould who played Martha as well as alot of info,and other fun stuff.I've been a regular visitor of this site for almost two years and the webmasters (John Klyza,Jeff Hayes)are truly worthy fans,willing to go that extra step to find the old castmembers and interview them.They, like I worship the dvd re-release of Sleepaway Camp and we waited patiently for over a year for it's birth."look at all that young,fresh chicken"

DVD Connoisseur
02-06-2001, 08:59 PM
Yes, I checked out her "statistics" in the end titles but is she meant to be male? There's something very creepy / campy about the aunt, isn't there? I may be barking up the wrong tree but why would the aunt feature at all if she wasn't a clue to the whole sex-change thing? The mystery deepens... :eek:

I must say I'm an occasional visitor to the sleepaway camp "site" myself. I hope a fourth movie is made...there's certainly a fan base waiting for such a release.

jeffschmidt
02-09-2001, 10:42 PM
Wow, I never thought about the aunt being the dad's lover; now that you mention it, I think that makes a lot of sense.

Oh, and I love the part in SC2 where two kids are screwing in the woods and the chick says something like "Hey, you don't have AIDS or anything, do you?" right AFTER she gets done balling him! That's hilarious! Or was that part 3... Whatever, they all rock :D

Agent Z
04-26-2002, 01:08 PM
I could be wrong as I've only viewed the film once, but isn't Angela's "aunt" her father's gay lover? The aunt sure looks masculine and very camp. Following her father's death, I think her dad's lover became her "aunt." This would explain Angela's identity.

Yes, I checked out her "statistics" in the end titles but is she meant to be male? There's something very creepy / campy about the aunt, isn't there? I may be barking up the wrong tree but why would the aunt feature at all if she wasn't a clue to the whole sex-change thing?

I do a search on WITHIN THE WOODS and look what I come up with! :)

To help settle this mystery once and for all:

At the beginning of SLEEPAWAY CAMP, during the flashback scene when the boat tips over and the father and the children are in the water, the children ask the father if they will see Aunt Martha later on that day...and with the father's male "companion" right there with them at the lake.....that rules him out as a Aunt Martha impersonator................

The whole reason for Aunt Martha's "brain-washing" of Peter was to bring a girl into the household....since she always wanted a girl....even after her husband left. It was as simple and as twisted as that! And don't forget that Aunt Martha was a doctor (remember the fraudulent physicals she gave to Angela and Ricky for camp?)...so she had all the resources she needed to carry out her plan.

Jog
04-26-2002, 05:13 PM
The ending to Sleepaway Camp (1) is one of the most goddammed freaky things I've ever seen. And not the "concept" of it all, it's the execution... it was just done perfectly.

SaviniFan
04-28-2002, 04:18 PM
You can watch Sleepaway Camp here:

http://www.on2.com/video.php3

Enjoy! :)

KillerCannabis
05-01-2002, 08:18 PM
I love the 1st movie. I'm so glad that it's out on disc, even though it is slightly butchered. I read that AB is releasing a Sleepaway Camp survival kit box set of all 3 films plus a bonus disc of some other extra features. Don't know if it's a for sure thing, but it was reported on Fangoria's website and they even have the date listed as being 8/20. Hope it's true cause I'd love to have that box in my collection.

Agent Z
05-01-2002, 08:57 PM
http://www.on2.com/video.php3

Dang...Can't get it to work.....Audio is there, but no picture......even after I followed their troubleshooting.......:confused:

Agent Z
05-01-2002, 09:02 PM
I love the 1st and only the 1st. I hope that AB releases the Camp Survival Kit edition with a COMPLETE SLEEPAWAY CAMP...AND an option for fans of the first to just purchase the original alone...without the sequels...........

Wez4555
05-03-2002, 02:07 AM
if you mean complete as in uncut...i hope so to. AB arent pussies coughperamountcough. if AB doesnt release SC uncut it may be because they didnt get the rights to it..i dunno?

Hellbilly
05-03-2002, 04:32 AM
If SLEEPAWAY CAMP turns out to be the uncut version on the survival kit box set then it shall be mine. :)

rhett
05-04-2002, 08:38 PM
I enjoy the second Sleepaway Camp movie too, although it isn't nearly as good as the first.

I read that AB could not get an uncut print to master, and didn't even know that they weren't using an uncut print. Hopefully they can release it uncut though.

DVD Connoisseur
05-04-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by rhett
I read that AB could not get an uncut print to master, and didn't even know that they weren't using an uncut print.

IMHO, AB received a lot of unnecessary criticism over this release. Even the director himself didn't pick up that the DVD version was slightly cut!

I'm interested in viewing the sequels to this movie, even though I wasn't too impressed with the original. It all seemed a little camp for my taste...apart from the ending.

Hellbilly
05-04-2002, 11:38 PM
I really like part 2. Tongue-in-cheek humor, plenty of in-jokes, breasts and lots of blood.
Plus we get to see Pamela Springsteen weeding out the bad teens and singing the "Happy Camper" song.
Good times. :)

Andrew
05-07-2002, 11:45 PM
Just bought SLEEPAWAY CAMP for $15 at Best Buy. I don't really give a shit if it's slightly cut, I'm in the mood for a slasher dammit! This sounds different too, so hopefully I'll enjoy it. After reading some reviews again, I'm think I'll pick up Friday 2, 3, and 4 if I have the cash :D.

Andrew
05-08-2002, 09:35 PM
Wow, um that kind of sucked. The ending was shocking, but too short to be truly great. The whole movie was really slow; less than an hour in I was ready for it to be over. Ehh, that's life, you win some and you lose some.

SaviniFan
05-08-2002, 10:41 PM
Wow, um that kind of sucked. The ending was shocking, but too short to be truly great. The whole movie was really slow; less than an hour in I was ready for it to be over. Ehh, that's life, you win some and you lose some.

Shoulda hit the link in my post earlier in this thread. If ya got a broadband connection, you coulda seen it for free. :eek:

Dusk
05-17-2002, 05:35 AM
You wait to see how much stuff is packed on the special editions of the sequels. Even naysayers will be curious to watch!!!!