PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Takashi Miike Movie and/or DVD?

Erg0n
06-03-2003, 05:40 AM
I just checked out my Local DVD store and found that they got a few DVDs from this director:

Visitor Q
City of Lost Souls
Audition: Unrated Director's Cut
and I believe Happiness of the Katakuris.

all for about the same price. I can only afford 1 right now until I get paid. Which one should I get first? I must admit I do find the packaging of Visitor Q attractive. If there's another Miike film on DVD that's not listed here that's deserves that warrant please recommend it.

Deaddevilman
06-03-2003, 05:46 AM
Visitor Q if you like a black comedy or Audition for pure horror. City of Lost Souls is a lost movie. I have yet to see Happiness so can't give you an opinion of that yet. Fudoh is great as well!

2D4EVER
06-03-2003, 05:47 AM
Get Fudoh or Audition. :D Fudoh is just damn funny and Audition is a great horror movie (the beginning is slow but you wait... :) ). Happiness of the Katakuris is...fucking weird. I saw Quiet Family before I saw katakuris and I still like Quiet Family better. Katakuris is ok but so damn weird. I still don't understand why there's claymation in the beginning and during other parts and wtf was with the bug going into the tv guys nose? Anyway...City of the Lost Souls is good. I like it but it's not for everyone. There's some great scenes in it but like a few other Miike films...at the ending I had to say "What the fuck is going on?" Haven't seen Visitor Q but I hear it's sick as fuck.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
06-03-2003, 05:49 AM
Dead Or Alive came out recently on DVD.

Be careful if you pick it up though. There is an Unrated Director's Cut, but there is also a R rated version. You know which one to get. :D

mcchrist
06-03-2003, 06:12 AM
The only one I can recommend so far is Happiness of the Katakuris

sefskillz
06-03-2003, 06:39 AM
Of those I'd say go with Audition for your introduction, its the safe bet as its a great movie whether you like Miike's stuff or not :). Theres no region 1 stuff of his out yet that I wouldn't recommend honestly, its all pretty solid :)

poorlogic
06-03-2003, 05:58 PM
I think Fudoh is a prefect starting point for viewing Miike, Audition takes a while to get to the point (lame joke, I know) so it might not hold you. Vistor Q will test your morailty level and City of Lost Souls goes nowhere.

Happiness is great, great claymation/effects and a pretty cool story - If you can't find Fudoh, Get Happiness of the Katakuris.

I just watched Graveyard of Honor, it's pretty fucking tough - no comedy, just killing in a very depressing way, very dark. At this point, I don't know if I like the film or not. Anyone seen it?

DefJeff
06-03-2003, 06:15 PM
Ergon, definitally get Visitor Q! i find it to be his best movie-- very enjoyable and fucked up at the same time!

Ichi the Killer is also fantastic and Audition is good as well, but Visitor Q is the best of the 3 in my opinion.

KillSwitch
06-03-2003, 07:27 PM
In order...

Rainy Dog - WOW!!! Its really his most straight forward film, no wild crazy violence and weirdness... except the opening maybe, but still.
Ichi The Killer - Awesome shit!
City of Lost Souls - Reminds me of True Romance for some odd reason.
Audition - The last 30 minutes or so is probably the most sickening thing ever... you can just feel that wire goin in...
Dead or Alive - Nice messed up ending.

Haven't seen his other stuff yet.

Nick

SaviniFan
06-04-2003, 02:01 AM
My top 3 in order of preference:

Ichi the Killer
Fudoh: The New Generation
Audition

aoiookami
06-05-2003, 01:15 AM
my top miike movies;
1-audition( my fav by far. brilliant)
2-Koroshiya Ichi/Ichi the killer (loved every second)
3-tie between Fudoh/Visitor Q (Both, fantastic)
4-City of Lost Souls (was okay, could have used more action)
5-Happiness o/ Katakuris (seemed really long, especially some of the music sequenes, the one between the husband a wife with sing-along...Zzzzzzzzz)

gonna order Dead or Alive this week.

Erg0n
06-05-2003, 05:48 PM
thanks for the info guys.

I've bought the Visitor Q DVD and will probably buy Audition next.

The rest i'm going to check out the e-stores for them.

DefJeff
06-05-2003, 06:17 PM
awesome. let us know what you think of it once you watch it ErgOn.

ScarredGod
06-06-2003, 05:01 PM
im a little late since you already bought your DVDs but i love Audition and Visitor Q the most. i thought city of lost souls was very weak with just one memorable scene near the end but the girl was HOT, so hot that i just remembered one more great scene from that film, when she spits the vodka, great.

i havent seen Happiness yet, im not sure if im willing to buy it blind and i havent seen any copies for rent.

necro1970
06-06-2003, 09:09 PM
I think you can rent Happiness of The Katakuris from Netflix.com and also Greencine.com

actually you can get most of the Region 1 Miike films for rent from both of those places

Just saw Dead or Alive and I have to say at this point its my favorite.

Ive seen Audition, Visitor Q and Dead or Alive and plan to see the rest as soon as I get the chance.

Visitor Q was 'interesting' to say the least but a little too screwed up even for my tastes. Im so glad I rented it and didnt buy it. I did like it at points but it was little too over the top for my liking.

I will probably wind up buying DOA and Audition sometime though and I do have Ichi The Killer coming to me in the mail.

City of Lost Souls and Fudoh are both on my TO RENT list as well