PDA

View Full Version : Onibaba

Cujo108
06-03-2003, 06:29 AM
I saw this about two years ago after searching for a copy for what seemed like forever, and I was not at all disappointed by this true gem of a movie. Director Kaneto Shindo fills the film with a superbly uncomfortable atmosphere It's a truly remarkable film.

The demon mask is a freaky indeed, and the hell it causes is quite unnerving. The acting is also superb on all fronts, and the film has a sinister, foreboding mood to it that lasts throughout the entire film. This is genre filmmaking at its finest if you ask me, and if any of you have not seen this film, I suggest you seek it out as soon as possible. Believe me, this is one of the finest classics of Asian horror cinema. A masterwork of horrifying insanity. What do you all think of it?

gorelover
06-03-2003, 10:38 AM
I totally agree, this movie kicks a**! Got it on VHS but want it on DVD - which DVD release would you recommend?

-gl

Cujo108
11-18-2003, 01:03 AM
I just bought the region 2 DVD recently, and I'm damn happy to have this classic on DVD! Seriously, I'm surprised that everywhere I go, almost nobody has seen this utter gem. It is one of the absolute best of Asian horror, and is the creepiest black and white film I've seen, and both of those remarks are saying a lot. Take it from me. If you haven't seen this film, seek it out. I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed. I talked Chi into checking it out in the chat, and hopefully this post will prompt others to do so as well.

Deaddevilman
11-18-2003, 04:08 PM
Onibaba is great. The story is still told by parents today to their children. Whenever our kids are acting up we tell them to settle down or Onibaba is going to get you. Pioneer has been releasing a lot of classic Japanese horror, unfortunately all Region 2, with English subtitles. The last time I looked there was close to 15/20 different releases. The classic Jigoku is also part of the series.

Ash28M
11-18-2003, 04:25 PM
I've wanted to see this for a while. After hearing some of your comments it's going to the top of the ''movies to see" priority list.

gorelover
11-18-2003, 06:52 PM
I purchased the Asmik Ace DVD (http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1002456002/did-96/code-j/section-videos/) some time ago and although it was a little expensive I'm really pleased with it. Although it's a japanese release it's got English subs.

-gl

etale
11-21-2003, 07:19 AM
Is it out in R1?
I read about it in Ivan Butler's book on horror films and always wanted to see it.

thrashard76
12-23-2003, 05:47 AM
Cool dude, it sounds like a great release.

Cujo108
12-23-2003, 05:55 AM
I just read some news that made my night! Criterion is going to release this masterpiece. No release date or features confirmed yet, but here is the cover:

http://www.criterionco.com/content/images/full_boxshot/226_box_348x490.jpg

I can't fucking wait!

DefJeff
12-23-2003, 06:10 AM
That cover is fantastic. I can't wait to hear what is going to be annouced for this one. I'll definitally be picking it up.

gorelover
12-23-2003, 10:04 AM
If the release keeps what the cover promises I'll probably have to purchase this movie a second time. ;)

-gl

Cujo108
12-24-2003, 06:59 PM
Here are the excellent sounding specs for this classic's releases:

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=226&section=feature

gorelover
03-16-2004, 05:09 PM
I hope we're gonna read a review here soon. :)

-gl

Cujo108
03-17-2004, 08:24 AM
Got the disc today. The transfer is absolutely gorgeous, and really does the fantastic black and white cinematography justice.

ArtofFighting
03-17-2004, 05:40 PM
I'm glad to hear so many good things about this film as I've been interested in seeing it for quite some time. The fact that I've recently started a tattoo sleeve depicting several Oni mask only increases my desire to see it. I must have that Criterion disc now!

DeathDealer
03-18-2004, 04:54 AM
How do you pronounce the directors name. Kaneto Shindo.

DeathDealer
03-18-2004, 04:59 AM
What other kind of films are there like Onibaba.

I know : Onibaba, Kuroneko, and Jigoku.

But there must be more great films with the same kind of Genre.

marioscido
04-19-2004, 06:25 PM
I purchased the Criterion disc of this film and was completely floored by it. This film is a real find for me. I had never even heard of it. The film's very frank portrayal of basic human sexuality is years ahead of its time; its slow unfolding narrative and harrowing finale seeped under my skin and remained etched there for days. Miike's 'Audition' definitely continues a traditon set in motion by Shindo with this film. The 2.35:1 B&W cinematography is outstanding. The fucken' reeds... Beautiful! I had seen and really liked 'Naked Island' (1960), by Shindo. It's a silent narrative about the daily grind of rural poverty on a small island in Japan. It's quite brilliant in many ways. But 'Onibaba' is in another league altogether. Forget recent J-horror and see this remarkable film. I can't praise it enough... This is the horror buy of the year - at least so far. And the Criterion transfer of the visuals is worth every penny. Stunning!

MaxRenn
04-20-2004, 02:30 PM
I purchased the Criterion disc of this film and was completely floored by it. This film is a real find for me. I had never even heard of it. The film's very frank portrayal of basic human sexuality is years ahead of its time; its slow unfolding narrative and harrowing finale seeped under my skin and remained etched there for days. Miike's 'Audition' definitely continues a traditon set in motion by Shindo with this film. The 2.35:1 B&W cinematography is outstanding. The fucken' reeds... Beautiful! I had seen and really liked 'Naked Island' (1960), by Shindo. It's a silent narrative about the daily grind of rural poverty on a small island in Japan. It's quite brilliant in many ways. But 'Onibaba' is in another league altogether. Forget recent J-horror and see this remarkable film. I can't praise it enough... This is the horror buy of the year - at least so far. And the Criterion transfer of the visuals is worth every penny. Stunning!

I agree, Mario. This movie definitely stays with you. I saw it earlier in the year on IFC and think it's an atmospheric, downbeat masterpiece. The comparison with "Audition" is so apt in its exploration of the hidden horror of human behavior. What I really liked about "Onibaba" was the assured combination of human horror (the behavior of the old woman) and supernatural horror (the mask) and where one ends and the other begins.

dwatts
07-24-2005, 12:59 AM
I finally saw this one tonight. I first came across stills from it in the 70's, but had never gottena chance to see the entire film. I bought the DVD months ago, but had not gotten around to viewing it. Until now.

Very very good movie, it's rarely the case where the location makes such demands upon a film, but it's a character here. Filmed mostly in the open, it all feels strangely claustrophobic. Criterion, obviously, did a great job.

Recommended.

SaviniFan
07-24-2005, 01:10 AM
I've had the Criterion DVD for quite some time now and I gotta agree. Very good film.

tobaccoman
07-24-2005, 03:42 AM
Wow, I've always looked at the cover of the Criterion disc and thought it looked cool as hell. Pretty much every Criterion title is on my wishlist already with this one included, but after reading this thread (I never knew there was one on here), I'm moving it way up on my wishlist. Thanks for bringing it back up, I'd hate for this to go OOP before I have the chance to get it a' la Straw Dogs. Speaking of Straw Dogs though, my friend who has the Criterion release said he would sell it to me for $25 when I go back to Bismarck in September. I can't wait.

thing
07-05-2013, 06:23 AM
The Eureka MoC blu ray is top notch, reviewed it on my channel.