PDA

View Full Version : Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell - cut?

Behemoth
06-03-2003, 12:17 PM
Anyone get the region 2 "F.a.t.M.f.H." DVD recently released in the UK? It's supposed to be uncut (according to the press release http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?sectionId=2&articleId=5511 ), but I've heard that approx. 50 seconds have been cut. A search at www.bbfc.co.uk seems to confirm this. Anyone got any info on this?

Yowie
06-03-2003, 10:47 PM
It doesn't say if it's in widescreen either, and I'll only buy it if it is. Isn't it supposed to come from Paramount on R1 soon ?.

dwatts
06-04-2003, 11:29 AM
I bought this! This is the Uncut UK release, and it IS widescreen.

The cutting in this film is, I believe, confusing. Hammer sent the script to the BBFC BEFORE FILMING STARTED - and then it was cut. This is the fullest version out there. I also read someone else saying an "Artery scene, where the baron clenches the artory in his teeth" was cut out. Not so!

Great 24 page booklet with this disk too!

hatetank
06-09-2003, 07:22 PM
damn! When and where did you get this ? I have it on pre-order at play.com but still it is out of stock....

dwatts
06-09-2003, 07:26 PM
I happened to be in the UK - and I walked into a store and.... there it was! :)

Two weeks to go and we get Kronos Vampire Hunter!

dwatts
06-16-2003, 11:16 AM
-- I also read someone else saying an "Artery scene, where the baron clenches the artory in his teeth" was cut out. Not so! --

Huh? What did I say? What was I thinking? Was I drunk the first time around? (This is very LIKELY).

I watched this again last night, and this scene definately IS cut.
It's strange, we do get to see him wiping the blood from his mouth, but not the actual act - maybe subliminally I thought I saw it.

Anyhow - what a great little Hammer film! Sorry for the mis-information.

Fart Lighter
07-07-2003, 12:14 AM
i saw the DVDs of FAMTFH and CAP KRONOS in London's Cinema store yesterday if anybody's looking for them. I don;t know if they do net business.

dwatts
07-07-2003, 12:14 PM
You can buy them anywhere in the UK. That store tends to be expensive. Street price for these discs is under $20. I bought Kronos for $20, but won't watch it until later this week.

Hammerfan
07-12-2003, 11:56 PM
Here is the cover, courtesy of DVD Drive In:

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/kronosfrankenstein.htm

Hammerfan
07-12-2003, 11:59 PM
These will street in the U.S. on October 19. Great cover art!

hell ya!
07-13-2003, 02:29 AM
Can't wait!:banana:

JW77
07-13-2003, 05:18 AM
Those covers aren't bad, I must confess. The color schemes are nice, though I have a general preference for original poster art.

Hell, I'm just glad that Paramount has the good sense to actually release their Hammer Films. Unlike other studios *cough*Universal*cough*.

dwatts
07-13-2003, 11:45 AM
I prefer original cover art. The Kronos here looks good - the Frankenstein cover SUCKS.

The neat thing about the R2 releases are the really GREAT 24 page booklets. Ton of info in there!

Hammerfan
07-13-2003, 08:41 PM
I believe they used some of the cover art for the VHS release of FATMFH including the title. I really like the new KRONOS cover...very effective. I think the FATMFH cover is quite striking.

Fart Lighter
07-16-2003, 11:48 PM
some potential bad news:

i have been informed that they're all in anamorphic widescreen, but that the company releaseing them hasn't bothered to include anamorphic flagging on the disk. So if you've got a 4:3 telly, the image cannot be squashed back into the right shape and you have to suffer a distorted/stretched image.

Can naybody confirm this is true? And are there any contact details for the company on the packaging?

mutleyhyde
07-17-2003, 04:59 AM
Huh? Who informed you of this Lighter? I'm thinkin' all you gotta do is adjust your player settings if this happens. Same thing happens on Criterion's Last Temptation of Christ and MGM's Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

Go to your player menu and select letterbox over pan/scan, or 4:3 over 16:9 (just depends on how your manufacturer names them).

JW77
07-18-2003, 11:01 AM
DVDEmpire has "Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell" and "Captain Kronos" up for pre-order for $6.99 each.

Apparently the MSRP on these is $9.99! Great price from Paramount, there.

There aren't any special features mentioned, but DVDDrive-In did say that commentaries were recorded for both.

dwatts
07-18-2003, 11:11 AM
Look, if you don't buy at that price you need a good kick in the ass. :)

Fart Lighter
07-19-2003, 12:26 PM
SOmebody over at the AnchorBay Uk site has CK and found that the image doesn't compress back on his player. You'll find that people with 4:3 TVs tend to leave their machines set to 4:3 letterbox permanantly in most cases. After all, there's no point in having it set to 16:9 at any point if you've not got a WSTV is there?
It wouldn't be the first UK DVD to have this mistake. our STENDHAL SYNDROME has the same problem, resulting in endless wrong reviews stating that it's P&S. It's amazing how many people seemed incapable of noticing all the distorted angles and ludicrously thin people.:eek2:

Behemoth
07-21-2003, 03:07 PM
The same goes for the UK re-release of Cronenberg's "The Dead Zone" (the one with the audio commentary by Kim Newman) - it doesn't show up as letterboxed on 4:3 TV's, the picture is squeezed instead.

Fart Lighter
07-21-2003, 11:31 PM
We've got the so-called Video Standards Council here in the UK, surely they should be doing something about these Anamorphic fuck-ups?
Add 'House on Sorrority Row' to the list as well.

mutleyhyde
07-30-2003, 09:06 AM
Check out the Bargain section for a great deal on the R1 release of both Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell and Captain Kronos, here. (http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=147335#post147335)