PDA

View Full Version : Halloween 8

DopeChamberX
10-23-2000, 11:45 PM
I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this. Based on the other topic, most people view Halloweenas their favorite slasher series.

I personally feel that this should it. Here's the plot synopsis I read at cinescape:

"3 years has passed since the demise of serial killer Michael Myers, decapitated at the hands of his sister Laurie Strode. As Halloween approaches and the people of Haddonfield prepare to celebrate another Myerless Halloween, news quickly spreads that the body of Laurie Strode was found butchered in Northern California. Tension mounts as speculation that Michael Myers still lives smothers the impending festivities and a sense of paranoia and fear once more grip the town where it's rumored that somewhere in Haddonfield, someone is protecting the last of Michaels bloodline and they must be found before Michael once again slaughters the innocent in his quest. But Laurie Strode killed Michael Myers, or did she?"

I feel that this would be the best way to end the series andtie up all the loose ends created by the sequels, especially #6. I really don't see areason to continue after this one since Donald Pleasance is dead and the Jamie Lee Curtis really doens't want to make anymore sequels, there be no reason to carry on. Tommy Doyle wasn't an interesting enough charcter to hold the series up. Anyone lese have any thoughts on this?

------------------
"It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

Django
10-24-2000, 04:33 AM
I disagree completely. The only way that this movie will get butt back into the theater after the crapfest H20 is if they bring Tommy Doyle back as the Loomis replacement.

The whole arc they did with the character is the sole reason I enjoy Halloween 6 as much as I do. I could have carred less about the return of Laurie Strode and now that it seems they want Curtis to return only so they can kill her off again just makes me pissed more.

What they should do is have Tommy team up with Jamie Lloyd - she could come back - to find Curtis before Myers does...

DopeChamberX
10-24-2000, 06:27 AM
Hmmm... interesting points, I personally feel Halloween 6 lacked because by then they were really fishing for ideas and the return of Tommy Doyle proved that, even thought the man in balck in #5 didn't help the series much either.

The only way that I would believe if Jamie Llyod were to return if they cast Danielle Harris again. At least it wasn't Danielle when they killed her, I don't think many fans would have standed for seeing this young girl beign killed on farm machinery.

H20 really breathed some fresh life in the series, even though it was sorely lacking, it suceed because everyone had such low expectations because of 6.

I think this is the best way they could end the series, do we really want to see a second rate Donald Pleasence replacement spurting his old lines? That would just bring the series down even farther. Another thing they have to explain who it was she beheaded, which will delve into the whole clone thing brought up near the end of 6. If we're sarting to get into that, again, its just muddling the series, even more and I personally want to the series to end less complicated as possible. What do I know, just my opinions.

------------------
"It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

creaturekid
10-25-2000, 08:07 PM
I also agree that the series needs to keep itself very limited in terms of complicated plots, but I also agree the H20 was awful. I don't think Part 6 is perfect, but I do think that it has a lot more going for it than H20. I think they touched on something great in Part 6 with the notion of what Michael Myers has done to the town of Haddonfield, how Halloween had become banned, etc. That's a really interesting angle that I think could have (and I suppose, if they are making another sequel, SHOULD be) developed further. I wouldn't mind seeing a Halloween sequel that sort of brought all these elements together, but kept it a really really simple plot. Tommy Doyle is still alive, and Laurie Strode is still alive. Bring them back to Haddonfield, where, now that Michael is "dead", Halloween is no longer banned. Tommy and Laurie live it up, knowing they don't have anything to fear. Meanwhile, Michael is NOT dead, and a perfectly great Halloween is suddenly really really dangerous.

Jasondog
10-25-2000, 09:22 PM
I like the ending of H20. I think they should have stopped the series there.

IMO the whole "Man in Black" thing was all a bad idea. I hated H6 when it first came out, but after the past year of owning it on LD i have grown accustomed to it. I like it.

I hope that H8 ties up all the loose ends started with H5 & H6. Basically, i hope it just doesnt fuck up the series even more. Especially since H20 was a great ending point. I will miss Dr. Loomis though.

I dont have that high of expectations for the sequal but what the hell, i know ill be first in line when it is released.

rhett
12-22-2000, 04:53 AM
I agree with you Jason, Halloween should have ended at H20. Without Donald Pleasance the series just doesn't seem plausible to me. I did like H20 and how it revived Halloween and such, but I think Mr. Akkad is just milking the franchise dry...but like Jason said, I too will be first in line, regardless if I object to the film...

------------------
"i spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up for i realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply...evil." - Dr. Loomis, Halloween

DeepDownTraumaHound
12-22-2000, 04:09 PM
Jasondog is right. End the series already. I'm tired of it. it started out when I was born and it's been dragged like a screaming child through all these years. he's decapitated, leave him rotting. please, end it now before it starts to look really stupid like the candyman and hellraiser series. what an embarrassment those sequels are.

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

DVD Connoisseur
12-22-2000, 09:50 PM
Question: How do directors manage to screw up great series? I can see the Halloween and F13 series disappear due to slap-dash scripts and direction and it puzzles me how this can happen. When a series is world famous, like the Halloween films, don't they (the studios) sit down and really think, "How can we make a great movie? A movie that will be innovative, exciting and memorable?" H20, despite featuring Ms Curtis, was pretty poor...and that's a horror film starring a "big name". If they screw up Halloween 8, they ruin the series for good. The stakes are high. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that somehow they can "get back to basics" and deliver a belting slasher with wit, shocks and a clean storyline, devoid of any supernatural twists and hocus pocus.

AceRimRat
12-23-2000, 12:54 AM
It seems to me that slasher series fade for three reasons: 1. rush jobs; 2. one-dimension-ality; and 3. continuity. I know, one-dimension-ality is not a word.

1. Rush jobs: Halloween 2 was a fairly quick follow-up to the original - and while not bad, not nearly as good. Halloween 4 was OK, so they rushed 5 out and again, not nearly as good. You could make the same case for some of the rapid-fire F13s.

2. One-dimension-ality: F13, while I love the series, is a one-note series. It gets old. When all you can do is try and spin the same story over and over, you're going to be hit or miss. For instance, F13 6 tried to be a little more scary than gross, and I think it worked to some degree. F13 5 tried to have the faux-Jason and though I like the movie, I think most people would say it didn't work. F13 7 had the telekinetic girl, F13 9 had the Jason-in-a-different-body thing, etc.

3. Continuity: I think some of these movies represented poor decisions in scripting or what-have-you as far as keeping up the theme: Elm Street 2 sticks out from the 1-3-4-5 core sequence. ES 6 and 7 don't fit with the rest. H3 is out of the Myers realm. H6 is a notorious hack job. F13 8 makes absolutely no sense. And so on. When you can't even keep your story straight from movie to movie (end of H4, beginning of H5) you're not going to maintain a series well, IMHO.

I'm not a Star Trek fan, but I always figured they can keep churning out movies because the characters are the same from film to film and from TV to film, right? Spock dies in part 2, so part 3 they go look for him. Or something like that.

But in H5 there's no mention of little Jamie killing her mom or whatever at the end of 4. Then there's the knocking off of a sympathetic character from 4 early in 5, same problem many people had with Alien 3 as a follow-up to Aliens.

How's that sound to y'all?

hojimoji
12-23-2000, 01:28 AM
I think the one dimesionality is probably the major culprit. It's really hard to dedicate 10 hours of film to a character that never speaks, and therefore has almost no direct development, and hence creates difficulties in creating compelling stories.

G.

DeepDownTraumaHound
12-23-2000, 05:27 AM
Halloween has always been more about the characters other than Michael. this is where the plot is. He is just the star!

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

rhett
12-23-2000, 06:15 AM
Ace, I thought the same thing you did about not mentioning the death of the mother from the end of H4, but upon watching it again I was able to gain that Jamie hospilized her and that she is still in the hospital (or something like that, its been awhile since I last watched it). The one thing about H5 I can't explain is why the hell they included that damned music accompaning the stupid policemen, it is just horrid.

------------------
"i spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up for i realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply...evil." - Dr. Loomis, Halloween

DVD Connoisseur
12-23-2000, 02:54 PM
AceRimRat, I think you've captured the reasons for "diminishing returns" perfectly. The film makers of Jason X and Halloween 8 have no excuses. If they make a hash out of the latest installments, you have to ask "Why and how?" These are big series and should be given a great deal of time and thought by all concerned with their production. Having said that, Lucas had over a decade to sort out Episode 1 and look how that turned out. (Sorry, that will be my one and only diversion into Star Wars territory on this forum, ever!)

AceRimRat
12-26-2000, 09:36 PM
One good point raised that I overlooked is the need for strong supporting characters.

Look at (in non-horror) the James Bond or Batman movies - when the villain is top-notch, the movie tends to be, as long as the star is at least solid.

To apply that to horror, it's sort of the converse - the bad guy is the link between films, so it's a question of sympathetic victims/would-be survivors - especially in Halloween and F13 where the killer isn't really an acting role (vs. Elm Street or even Night of the Demons). I think for instance, the (SPOILER!) killing of Ellie Cornell's character early in H5 does the movie a grave disservice, leaving us with the annoying (IMHO) Wendy Kaplan character as the only focus outside of Pleasance and (the mute) Danielle Harris. Bad move, if you ask me. Compare that to Cornell and Harris in H4 as compliments to Pleasance, or Curtis in the original. You root for Lar Park Lincoln in F13 part 7, you sort of hope all the kids in part 8 die really fast. Etc.

If you don't hope the "good guys" win, the movie becomes an exercise in gore. Not that that's a bad thing, but I think it harms a series.

So I hope the space-station dwellers of Jason X are a lot more like those of Alien and Aliens than Leprechaun 4 In Space. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif For all our sakes.

evileye
12-29-2000, 04:58 PM
Let's face it, if we wanted originality, none of use would have ever set foot into the theater for half of the slasher films we love. Most of the sequels are carbon copy scripts and most of us want that. New actors, new house, new axe and SAME STORY! HALLOWEEN 3 proved that.

So when audiences are willing to line up and pay to see this, why destroy it by making up incredible stupid jokey plots like science fiction and supernatural monsters? JASON vs SPAWN? THE MICHAEL MEYERS MUPPET MOVIE?

Spend the money on fresh young actors and hope you can find a writer with a glimmer of talent that can focus on making the characters somewhat witty while putting them through the paces. Kevin Williamson did with SCREAM (which is the xerox script again with fun characters). HALLOWEEN H20 could have done this if they had not opted to rush it through production sloppily. But I will take that over JASON X any day!!

If I want science fiction, I'll go see ALIENS. If I want a slasher film (and there is a forulma we all seem to like here), then I'll pay to see that too. I personally find the idead of a faceless nut hiding in the garage slicing people up far more scary than some CGI blob. Why ruin it by making it so far fetched?

If only Kathy Bates in MISERY could have been a telekenetic cyborg in the year 2207, I would have been able to focus on the dramatic impact more!

DopeChamberX
02-27-2001, 07:57 PM
Dark Horizons (http://www.darkhorizons.com) has just posted this information today:

Halloween 8: 'Sparke Dee' has this report which confirms the details mentioned on AICN the other day:

"Casting in underway because they want to start filming before the actors strike in order to release the film in October of 2001. From the rough draft script I read it's more of a "Blair Witch" rip-off then a Halloween sequel. A group of college students interested in the Halloween killings decide to host a live webcast tour of the Myer's estate for their Myer's website. Some one dressed as the Shape shows up and decides to make their webcast very memorable.I know Jamie Lee Curtis has signed on for a cameo (which consists of her being interviewed about Michael by one of the characters). Also, actress Melissa Sagemiller has officially been cast as the lead female character".

I guess this is it :(. Why oh why, I must go cry for the future of Michael Myers now.

MovieFan
02-27-2001, 10:39 PM
If Halloween 8 goes the route of being a Blair Witch 2 ripoff (as DopeChamberX just mentioned), say goodbye to the Halloween series as we know it.

Also, am I the only one here looking forward to Jason X? :D

Oogie Boogie
02-28-2001, 01:32 AM
They are trying to get a prominent rap star to be in it, as well as some chick from temptation island. it should pretty worthless, the way it's going, in my opinion. :(

evileye
02-28-2001, 01:37 AM
The end of the series????
If we were demanding quality, HALLOWEEN 2 would have been the last installment of the series!
Although the idea of a BLAIR WITCH RIP-OFF doesn't sound all that wonderful, I think if they manage to get some decent kids for the leads and make a raw horror film uncluttered with bad CGI and off-the-wall plot mechanics (come on guys... the whole Druids controlling the spirit of Michael Myers is a bit goofy to say the least and I doubt this was the intention of Carpenter).

Add to the list: a decent score, slick camerawork and a mask that looks like the original! If this film is gonna be a hit, this is gonna need a commercial push and following the HALLOWEEN 6 route will surely sink it.

As for JASON X, it might turn up to be a unintentionally funny film, but I am not betting on it being scary and certainly not doing big business (unless there is absolutely nothing out that week). Christ, THIS is the series that would be better suited for a BLAIR WITCH rip-off!

But judging by the awful CGI monsters shown in stills and the general reaction of the public ("Oh for God's sakes!!!"), this looks like a turkey in the making. Maybe Betsy Palmer can do a cameo dressed up like C3PO helping Jar Jar Binks and his clan spiritually control Jason and make him stalk the woods of Endor.

Oh, Hell! Let's just call it NATIONAL LAMPOON'S FRIDAY THE 13TH!!!!

Mark Relford
02-28-2001, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by MovieFan:
Also, am I the only one here looking forward to Jason X? :D

MF, I'm looking forward to Jason X. It'll be a blast to see Jason back in action.

rhett
02-28-2001, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by evileye:
I am not betting on Jason X being scary and certainly not doing big business (unless there is absolutely nothing out that week).

I beg to differ...

Jason X will most likely do good business, seeing as it will most likely be released in August. As we all know, August is a time where any movie can find success, ie. Blair Witch and Scary Movie. Horror seems to also fare very well in this month, and given the legion of Friday the 13th supporters, I am willing to bet this turns out to be a minor sleeper hit, making back more than its modest 11 million dollar budget.

As for the film itself, I can't wait to see it. I've talked to Todd Farmer, the writer, and this film looks to have the same sort of flair that revitalized Part 6. Add to the fact that Mr. Cronenberg will be showing his face in the film gets me even more excited. I think Jason X will be a much better picture than Mou$tapha Akkad's proposed .com attempt at refreshing a tired franchise.

evileye
02-28-2001, 04:59 PM
While I like both the HALLOWEEN and FRIDAY THE 13TH series, the fans sometimes do more harm than good. We are a very small number that tend to support these films no matter how bad they get.
We are also responsible for taking film monsters and dragging them into the spotlight, making the filmmakers showcase them with humor and inane situations to bleed them for screentime. Jason, Michael, Freddy and Pinhead were all characters left in the shadows to scare the leads. Why let them upstage the cast and monopolize the film? Christ, Kane Hoddler said he refuses to let anyone script Jason running after his victims because he feels it is out of the character. OUT OF THE CHARACTER?? Did Kane happen to see the first few films? And how do we let a stuntman get treated like Jack Nicholson on these pictures??

Fearing audiences would tire of the Friday formula lead Paramount to tinker with their mascot and look at the results:

Part 6, although well directed and shot, was treated as a joke and was the first disappointment financially in the series.

Part 7 introduced more hokey gimmicks (a CARRIE wannabe) and fell further.

Part 8 further bbotched the program by trying to experiment with locations.

JASON GOES TO HELL, despite the presence of the original's creator, hit the bottom of the box office with it's body-hopping plot.

And yet people shelled out millions to see Parts 2, 3, and 4, which were xerox scripts of the first (which was a copy of HALLOWEEN with a pine scent attached).

While fans ate up the chance to see Jason in action, most audiences were turned off and the proceeds suffered. What does that mean to us? If they continue to bomb, the series will never see decent production values or marketing, thus killing the franchise for good.

Did anyone happen to see both HELLRAISER and LEPRECHAUN space flicks? Word of mouth killed these turkeys before they were released. Yet SCREAM cash-in's like VALENTINE and URBAN LEGEND 2 continue to rake in the cash by sticking to their painful formula (one that was xeroxed off the likes of the earlier FRIDAY and HALLOWEEN films). Sure these films are mechanical at best, but if we remove our rose colored glasses, one will notice that the older flicks we love are in the same league!

HALLOWEEN H20 was a very smart move concept-wise (that was unfortunately fumbled by hasty production). With some bankable young casting and a few seasoned veterans, not to mention a decent attempt at continuity and style, these old formula's still work (check Kevin Williamson's wallet for proof). I would rater see a serious FRIDAY film before VALENTINE 2, but I just don't see that happening. Maybe Steve Miner could use the FRIDAY series to retry the experiment he did on HALLOWEEN H20 with more time and care. Bring some of the older cast back (I don't recall Amy Steele being buried under any acting offers recently).

Although I think the ALIEN series is getting a bit old, I doubt that setting it as a western in 1856 Montana will provoke anything but rolled eyes!

:p

DopeChamberX
03-05-2001, 08:26 PM
Ok, I'm still weeping for Mr. Myers, but these script reveiws were both fairly positive, giving me the tiniest glimmer of hope for the future. your can check out both of these scriptshere (http://filmforce.ign.com/news/2104.html) and here (http://www.darkhorizons.com/reviews/s010305a.htm). Please oh please, let them do the seies some sort of justice.

HerbertWest
03-09-2001, 07:49 AM
The early Friday the 13th films were more a rip off of Mario Bava's Bay of Blood(1971) than Halloween. There is, obviously, the setting. And some of the murder scenes are identical. You could argue that there're only so many ways to kill a person, and that there's bound to be some overlapping but stabbing a spear/pike through the bodies of a fucking couple is pretty distinctive.

indiephantom
03-10-2001, 11:16 PM
I would like to see Akkad select a really innovative director, who has done some low-budget horror, but really has a desire to make a stylish film. I think WES CRAVEN'S NEW NIGHTMARE was cool because Wes came back with a really great concept.

What about some of these directors like the dude who did From Dusk till Dawn 2. Cool visual style, and a touch of humor (although humor hasn't proved itself well when I think of Halloween 5). Still there are lots of director doing small innovative horror films throughout the world. It should be a gutsy terrorfest that really grabs us by the throat. Haddonfield is a great location.

MovieFan
03-11-2001, 03:48 AM
From Dark Horizons...

Halloween 8: The official site reports that Director Whitney Ransick won't be helming the new chapter in the franchise, instead "Halloween 2" director Rick Rosenthal wil steer the helm. Tyra Banks is apparently going to have a small role.

rhett
03-11-2001, 08:50 AM
If that news is legit I am happy. I was affraid we were going to get a director along the lines of Jamie Blanks or someone like that, and while I don't mind UL, I would much rather someone who has experience with the franchise, or at least older horror films. Rosenthal did a fine job with Halloween II whether Carpenter denies it or not, and this to me gives much more promise to a film which could easily become laughable. I am sure having Rosenthal back will also influence the lovely Ms. Curtis to maybe take more than a bit part. Finally...Akkad has done SOMETHING right!

chrishicks
03-14-2001, 03:29 PM
The one thing no one seems to mention is that in H20 they eliminated the Jamie character which I feel was a big FU to H4 thru H6. In my opinion they should not have done this because I'm sure people are going to remember these films since to many people they are our favorites. No matter what happens to part 8 there is going to be a problem with the story because they really can't call upon these sequels do to the fact that now they don't exist, as far asH20 tells us.

Leatherfacefan
03-18-2001, 11:24 AM
I have mixed feelings towards Haloween 8. In one sense, I think the whole idea of a sequel is crap. Also, the plot will get confused, it'll turn out that the Myers in H2O would be someone like a son he had with Jamie that we never knew about, or some other relative, and that Michael is actually now 60 years old, and comes back with a vengeance.

On the other hand, Rick Rosenthal as director makes the film more appealing. And hopefully the series will end here.

Maybe they should do John Carpenters original idea: Tie Myers onto a rocket and fire him into space. That'd be funny.

Also I have to agree that the 'Man In Black' idea was rather stupid, but I though part 6 was good. It helped show how Michael is resistant to death, and how he was able to break out of the asylum in the original film, and who taught him to drive.

( PS If they did fire Michael into space, the producers would make another sequel in the future where they find his body floating in space, and bring him back to life with the aid of future technology.)

(Or if they blew him up, they would clone him).

OR SOMETHING CRAP LIKE THAT

AceRimRat
03-19-2001, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Leatherfacefan:
Maybe they should do John Carpenters original idea: Tie Myers onto a rocket and fire him into space. That'd be funny.

He could hang out with Jason that way - after the wait for Freddy vs. Jason, think Mikey's got dibs on the winner?

DopeChamberX
04-30-2001, 09:06 PM
Some new info to get this topic back to the top :D.

Dark Horizons (http://www.darkhorizons.com)has posted this information:

Halloween 8: Interesting rumour from 'The Writer' in regards to the status of H8, looks like there may be hope yet:

"Trancas International Films, the production company, is in overdrive, trying to get the thing shooting before the SAG strike. However, there's a bit of a standoff in the company.
Moustapha Akkad, series "overlord," is in a bit of a tussel with Paul Freeman, who is producing his fourth film. Akkad wants to hold off the film until next year and use a different script, having taken fan reactions of the story to heart. However, Freeman wants to shoot with what they have and get it out this October. (Freeman also rushed the shoot of Halloween: H20 and altered much of Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers.) Right now, however, it appears Akkad has the favor of Miramax. He has pitched a separate story which would tie the entire series (minus Halloween III: Season of the Witch) into the same world of thought.

While known for being stubborn, Disney has given the early thumbs-up to his story, as it has the potential to "set the world on fire the same way Scream did," or so says an employee at Trancas International. I felt that this would be good news to fans, who have been consistently negative toward the story and screenplay".

Hopefully, this will turn out to be true. I can wait especially if they want to do it right. :)

rhett
04-30-2001, 11:58 PM
That is great news! I think the whole michaelmyers.com idea was downright terrible and would have made the Halloween series laughable. Hats off to Akkad for admitting the original idea was shit. This delay would also bring good news to New Line, as a H8 delay would leave room in October for them to put Jason X.

Demon
05-01-2001, 12:20 AM
I think they really need to give Halloween movies a shot in the ass, they really should have done it last time when they had Jamie Lee in a starring role.

No matter what Halloween movies have always made F13 movies their bitch, Halloween overall is a way more popular series, regardless of how bad the movies get, F13 has a limited audience, especially now after nearly 10 years without a new film, I think New Line is having second thoughts on this Jason X project, in all honesty I think they're worried they can't even make their money back off of it.

However with Halloween the reason they always pump out the movies so fast is that people will go see them regardless, its a more beloved series, and IMO a better series. But taking a break on the movies is a smart thing. I'm looking forward to part 8 now a little more, hopefully Akkad has learned bygod.

evileye
05-01-2001, 04:35 AM
If this is true, I congratulate HALLOWEEN 8's producers for having the courage to push this back until something decent can be churned out.

Since Jamie Lee Curtis is still game for participating, I say give her a producer's cut. Anything to keep the core storyline on track and to not let it get silly (returning to HALLOWEEN 6 territory). NAd where is Josh Harnett or Michelle WIlliams. I am sure one of those could pop in (providing PEARL HARBOR doesn't become a cash cow and inflate Harnett's paycheck status). :rolleyes:

KillerCannabis
05-16-2001, 06:30 AM
This "film" is shaping up to be a huge piece of crap. As of right now, its a predominantly black cast and Jamie Lee is set to get hacked in the first 30 min. Why cant they just let this die and maybe, oh I don't know, THINK of another good idea for a film. Halloween, Michael Myers, great ideas. Now maybe they need to get some new ones. Talk about beating a dead horse.

Tremendo
05-24-2001, 06:26 AM
KillerCanabis,

You seem to have a problem with it being a "predominantly black cast".

That's a pretty weak attitude.