PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill 3

napalm68
06-05-2003, 01:58 PM
Just been playing Silent Hill 3 for the last three hours (night here), and jesus, I am jumpy now.

Thought I'd post on this board as the Silent Hill series is well and truly Japanese horror.

Anyone else here playing it? The sound is even better in this than #2. I'm playing it with headphones, and I thought there was something running in the roof. I went and asked my wife if she heard it.

There is a classic easter egg in it too, in a toilet. A good comic relief after a particularly suspensful mind game they have running through it, involving knocking on a toilet door. It was well executed, the scare.

Wermode
06-08-2003, 03:34 AM
Glad to hear it. I definitely enjoyed the first two in the series, especially late at night wearing headphones...very creepy, and very rarely do films, books, or games ever scare me at this advanced stage in my horror-loving career. Silent Hill creates such feelings of helplessness and dread, largely due to the sound and, of course, the fog. Anyone who doubts that videogames are THE emerging art form of our time should spend a little time in Silent Hill.

Thanks for the review; SH3 is now on my "must buy" list.

napalm68
06-09-2003, 02:12 AM
Exactly. Silent Hill 3 is to me like imagine the most phychologically disturbing horror film you have seen, with visuals that would give Clive Barker nightmares, make it last about 5 times as long as a film, and put you in it.

I don't get scared too easily, but I am finding Silent Hill 3 REALLY unnerving me, WAY more so than Silent Hill 2. That running in the roof sound is totally getting to me. I was jumpy before it, but it happened a few more times last night and I got up again to ask my wife if she could hear it. I honestly still think there was something in the roof as the sound I was getting was just more realistic and directional than I think is possible with the ps2 and headphones (although very good headphones). It is freaking me out.

Cinematically, Silent Hill 3 puts nearly every horror film I've seen to shame. The camera control in it is unreal. You have some control over it, but it's use of framing and tracking is great. And lighting and visuals are just awesome. And in REALLY dark scenes, they have beautifully simulated how film reacts when under exposed. And the sound <shudder>...

Atmims
06-09-2003, 04:20 AM
Man, I really need to get this. I've played through the first two and really enjoyed them both. The next good work week I have I'm getting this for sure.

Trucci
06-09-2003, 06:22 AM
The Silent Hill series is why I own a PS2. I don't think I've been more scared watching a horror film than this. I guess it's because you are playing and what you do can get you killed.

The music is coolness as well.

aoiookami
06-09-2003, 06:23 AM
I'm interested in getting this game but havnt played the first ones, and kind of want to just 'skip' to the latest release. are the first 2 essential to play the third one?

napalm68
06-09-2003, 01:16 PM
No, the first two aren't essential. But if you are wanting more, I'd definitely suggest getting SH2 at a later date. The PS1 graphics may be to harsh a drop from the third game.

K'
06-09-2003, 01:37 PM
I haven't played part 1, but I just finished the pc version of SH2 the other day. While I found the gameplay is a bit repetive, the story and the atmosphere made up for it.
I'm really looking forward to the pc release of SH3.

The story focuses on the daughter of the guy from part one, doesn't it?

napalm68
06-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Damn, spoiler alert dude :) I didn't think of that. I'm not finished yet. But now you mention it, that intro scene of her in the car with her father I now recall something similar in SH1 intro.

K'
06-10-2003, 07:31 AM
Sorry man. I thought that the game reveals this info in the beginning.

napalm68
06-10-2003, 10:07 AM
Maybe it did. I'm pretty fucking unobservant in a lot of ways :P

Erg0n
06-17-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by K'
I'm really looking forward to the pc release of SH3.

did they confirm that? I hope so, because it looks like Xbox won't be getting this game for a while. if ever.

napalm68
06-17-2003, 10:29 AM
PC version has been confirmed. Not sure for when. I read in a konami release that it will be packaged with the soundtrack as a bonus.

napalm68
06-19-2003, 11:20 AM
My god this game scares the living fuck out of me. I had to stop playing last night and played a bit of that Eve of Destruction (Battlefield 1942 Vietnam War mod) to get my mind off of it.

I was walking through these tunnels and the doors kept closing behind me, then I got to the other end and it was some god awful hell dimension. My god the visuals. Horror generally doesn;t scare me but this is so intense. In the hell dimension, there was like stuff there that was "smeared". I'm not sure how to describe it. I can post screen shots if you like. And then I walked into this room where one wall was a mirror, and then blood started to come out of this sink and crawl over the floor, an my reflection in the mirror started getting the blood on it even though I wasn't, and then finally it was covered in blood, and my reflection stopped moving in sync with me, and then I died.

I fucking freaked out and had to stop after that. I still get jittery thinking about it. I'm not playing any more tonight.

sefskillz
06-20-2003, 06:17 PM
I want to play this pretty bad, but it's not out until August in the states... Im jealous :(

Any Fatal Frame fans?

Erg0n
06-20-2003, 08:47 PM
yeah i play fatal frame. It's totaly different from the rest of the popular survival horror. but still pretty freaky.

MorallySound
12-23-2005, 07:23 PM
Just finished SH3. This is probably my favorite in the series so far. The original definately a very close second. And SH2 in 3rd, but still damn good.

They really connect SH and SH3 together, and I think it sums it all up and really gets the ball rolling. And damn, does this one have some scares! (Well, they all do...) But this one scared me the most. I jumped off my chair at one part.

SH4 is next, but proabably won't get around to playing it till sometime in the New Year.

Peter Vincent
12-23-2005, 08:09 PM
SH4 is next, but proabably won't get around to playing it till sometime in the New Year.

3 was probably the creepiest in the series (love the amusement park Haunte Mansion!

I loved the Sh series...up to SH 4. Keep your expectations low for that one. Going through the hole constantly just to save and the 'addition' of limited carrying capabilities really brings this game down.

I finished it about 3-4 weeks ago and was VERY disappointed.