PDA

View Full Version : Blood Beast Terror

dwatts
06-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Just got this, it's an Image release R1.

I could do a full review is necessary - but the long and short of it is, if Cushing ever got close to making a bad film, this is it. Zany idea, poor execution, anti-climatic ending.

The transfer BLOWS. Easily one of the worst discs I own. Still, I own it now, for better or worst. A lot of classics should come before this one in your collection!

R. I. P.
06-06-2003, 08:48 AM
I agree. The only thing this dud has going for it is Hammer-esque atmosphere. Otherwise, don't bother. Cushing must've been a little tight in the pocket book when he signed on the dotted line to do this one. Such a shame he had to have this blemish on an otherwise memorable movie career. :(

This movie reminds me of another British flop from the same time period entitled, "The Vulture". Ever hear of it or see it? I guess mad scientists had a thing for big birds back then and these birds did indeed turn out to be big fat turkeys. :lol:

R. I. P. :glasses:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004W195.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Zodiac-Mindwarp
06-06-2003, 08:56 AM
A pity. Most of the stuff that Cushing is in is at least good, and most of it is great.

Although I have heard that The Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampires is also pretty bad, and so I have avoided it. I will be sure to avoid this one also.

Yowie
06-06-2003, 10:15 PM
He made several so-so movies in the late '60's, but I actually enjoyed this one (as I did "Island Of Terror"), it's not great but can a movie really be bad with Cushing in it ?. He definitely saves this turd, so I'd say give it a shot. I certainly like it a lot more than that miserable nonsense known as TLOT7GV.

dwatts
06-06-2003, 11:32 PM
--can a movie really be bad with Cushing in it ?--

Sadly, I must say he was pushing the envelope a bit here. I love these movies, I love the period, and I love the style of movie-making. But you just can't polish a turd, and this film is such an utter waste of time. Not becaue of the story - hell I actually STILL like the idea of a giant killer moth - but in the execution. Let alone the DVD Image has put out, that is weak in the extreme. The problem is, this is ot some "so-so" film, it's horrid.

I love Cushing - but this is a film to miss.

Yowie
06-08-2003, 01:06 AM
Ok, yes the print is bad but Cushing's still good, isn't he ?.

dwatts
06-08-2003, 01:20 AM
I see your point. Yes, Cushing is actually quite brilliant. The print is horrid. BUT - not even Cushing doing his best could possibly justify paying to watch this trash........... And hell - I PAID FOR IT MYSELF.

dwatts
04-11-2006, 12:48 AM
I gave this another watch tonight. Probably enjoyed it more than ever before. There's some great humor in the mortuary, the theatrical section is so funny, and Cushing remains glorious. Okay, so the climax needs a bit of work, but watching the life sized moth drinking blood from the youg girl is trully creepy. Oh, and that body in the cabinet!

You know, with all the DVD's I have, it's fun to come back to something like this every now and again. I really enjoyed it tonight. Phew!