PDA

View Full Version : Lust for a Vampire

dwatts
06-07-2003, 01:17 PM
ANyone like this one? I watched it again last night - man it's really patchy. Some great stuff, mixed with utter tripe. It's hilarious that they cut Chris Lee's eyes into the opening segment.... really quite pathetic.

I don't know if I absolutely hate this or not. Sometimes it's good, other times it just stinks.... confusing film.

mutleyhyde
06-07-2003, 10:47 PM
mmm, boobies :)

It's definitely the weak link in the Karnstein trilogy, and it really plays up the camp moreso than Twins of Evil and Vampire Lovers, (whether intended or not), but I still like it.

R. I. P.
06-08-2003, 03:14 AM
I agree "Lust For A Vampire" pales in comparison to "Vampire Lovers" and "Twins Of Evil", but I still hold this film in very high regard. Yutte Stensgaard is both beautiful and creepy and I feel she gives a most charismatic performance in the role of Mircalla. ;) The only blatant negative regarding this film is the stupid song sung during the main love scene. Otherwise, I give it a passing grade. :)

Hammer Films does it best when it comes to atmosphere and this underrated flick is no exception. Personally, I highly recommend it. :)

R. I. P. :glasses:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005OSJW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

hell ya!
06-08-2003, 05:31 AM
I was thinking about picking this one up, maybe after i get Vampire Loves and see if i like that one then maybe i'll get this one.

dwatts
06-08-2003, 02:05 PM
Trouble is - Vampire Lovers is a FAR better film. Hard to compare the two.

Lust has some brilliant moments, but for every bit of classic Hammer, we get a huge turd thrown in for good measure. The opening scenes (where Mircalla is resurrected) are freaking funny! 70's disco lights in a coffin. Argh..... Buy it, but buy it cheap.

CJ
06-09-2003, 04:49 AM
I have a fondness for this lesser Hammer entry, even though I'll grant that it's not one of their better efforts. It does have a certain charm to it, and it's amusing to see former DJ Mike Raven strutting his stuff in a vain attempt to become a horror star in the mould of Cushing or Lee.

And Yutte Stensgaard is lovely :D

Anthropophagus
12-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Does anyone know who owns the rights to this one right now? I just watched Synapse's incredible Blu-Ray edition of Vampire Circus with the great documentary bonus features and was thinking this title is ripe for some sort of special treatment since both Vampire Lovers and Twins of Evil are available on DVD and Blu-Ray respectively.

maybrick
12-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Studio Canal, presumably. Weren't they the ones who licensed the movie to AB?

russweiss
12-26-2012, 11:48 PM
This film is a guilty pleasure of mine. Partially because of Yutte Stensgaard. I've got the DVD but would love to see a blu-ray release.

Anthropophagus
12-26-2012, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
Wow, what terrific posters. I love Lust For A Vampire as well, I actually thought Ralph Bates was quite effective in it and Yutte Stensgaard personifies the term Hammer glamor.
I'd love a Blu-Ray comparable to Synapse's Vampire Circus, they really delivered an amazing edition!!

buck135
12-27-2012, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the info guys.
Wow, what terrific posters. I love Lust For A Vampire as well, I actually thought Ralph Bates was quite effective in it and Yutte Stensgaard personifies the term Hammer glamor.
I'd love a Blu-Ray comparable to Synapse's Vampire Circus, they really delivered an amazing edition!!

I believe Ralph Bates stated that this was the worst film he'd ever been associated with. Lol. I actually love this trilogy. I was excited when I saw this thread thinking it was to be released on blu-ray.

Anthropophagus
12-27-2012, 05:23 AM
I believe Ralph Bates stated that this was the worst film he'd ever been associated with. Lol. I actually love this trilogy. I was excited when I saw this thread thinking it was to be released on blu-ray.

I'm not surprised that Ralph Bates has expressed his disdain for this film, it seems to have garnered a reputation as the black sheep of the Karnstein trilogy.
However, I would opine that Horror Of Frankenstein is far worse. Bates was a lamentable replacement for Cushing, and though that film is mildly entertaining much of the humor seems forced and David Prowse's make-up as the Monster is pretty awful.
I found much to like in Lust For A Vampire, all the Hammer hallmarks are there in spades-buxom women, some gore, nudity, also I found some of the cinematography quite beautiful. If I have one gripe it's that terrible 'Strange Love' song on the soundtrack, other than that it's an enjoyable entry for late period Hammer horror IMO.

buck135
12-27-2012, 05:56 PM
'Strange Love' is quite possibly the worst song ever recorded. Well, that or 'Driveby' by Train.

russweiss
12-27-2012, 11:43 PM
And for those of you who would like to hear the song go to this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n42Sm-9s_-k