PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Original Versions- CAV boxset???

jscott
06-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Ekent forwarded me an auction for a Star Wars Trilogy boxset. According to the description, they are the original versions, in CAV format. I wasn't aware that the original versions were released in CAV format, just the special editions. Please check out the auction, and someone let me know if these are the special ed's, or the original versions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3330138793

John
06-07-2003, 05:41 PM
It is the original version. The Star Wars Definitive Collection is the only set you would want if you are not looking for the Special Edition releases. It has a guidebook and another hardcover book that compliments the discs. A great set. Here are a couple of other auctions that end around the same time and are cheaper than the one you are looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3330156632&category=18852

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3330169300&category=18848

Hope the info helps. Maybe you can get it at a good price since there are a few ending so close together.

jscott
06-07-2003, 05:46 PM
Wow. I had no effin clue that the original versions were released in CAV. And I was all stoked about owning those CLV, THX editions. Thanks for the info John.

sinister
06-07-2003, 05:54 PM
It's a nice set, but there's a LOT of disc swapping to be done due to the CAV format.

wago70
06-09-2003, 07:00 PM
In addition, some of the discs succumbed to speckling (so far only on one disc of RETURN OF THE JEDI).

ekent
06-09-2003, 08:06 PM
whats this business about disc swapping? I do not understand, please clarify.

chrishicks
06-09-2003, 08:35 PM
you will have to flip the disc every 30 min. unless your player does it for you. then every hr. you will have to switch the disc out for the next 1 in line. with CLV discs there is only 1 or 2 flips/switches per movie depending on your player, while a CAV will have 4 or 5 flips/switches per movie.

ekent
06-09-2003, 08:37 PM
oh ok, thats what you mean
I thought that you guys meant that some of the discs were faulty and needed to be replaced!

I feel like a doushe now

ekent
07-08-2003, 09:29 PM
I just picked up this set, man oh man, it's da tits! (o Y o)

DVD Connoisseur
07-08-2003, 10:11 PM
A few points to note:

The first pressing of The Definitive Collection has a missing few seconds from TESB where Leia's doing repairs to the Falcon with a torch. These discs were replaced in the States (sadly, I couldn't replace mine).

Secondly, this collection is infamous for laser rot so "buyer beware."

As far as I'm aware, the Special Editions were never release in anything other than CLV format.

And to make you feel really good, I paid 230 for my set (that's like $350)!!!!:cry:

Nilbog
07-15-2003, 08:03 PM
The best thing about that set.....the trailers!!!!!
"Revenge of the Jedi"

I also love the teaser for Empire with the McQuarrie paintings.

Demon
07-16-2003, 01:47 AM
regardless of what ld's you've got of the originals..........hang on to them, Lucas will only release the SE versions of the original trilogy on dvd.

ekent
07-16-2003, 02:24 AM
regardless of what ld's you've got of the originals..........hang on to them, Lucas will only release the SE versions of the original trilogy on dvd.

Not even, he plans to update them yet again. I've even heard of Lucas shooting a couple of scenes with Amidala to be added into Return of the Jedi (in a flashback sequence I am guessing, and no, I'm not kidding)

Shannafey
07-16-2003, 02:28 AM
I have the originals in wide screen on VHS. If I ever get around to getting a stand alone dvd burner, I am going to make a set of dvds, and I'll let you all know.

chrishicks
07-16-2003, 02:49 AM
I have both the original and the SE LDs. ifthey ever release these on DVD I will get them but if they don't I'll still be able to see them as they used to be, or atleast until my LD player dies. I may buy a DVD recorder by the end of the year so I might have to make my own copies.:)

DVD Connoisseur
07-16-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by ekent
Not even, he plans to update them yet again. I've even heard of Lucas shooting a couple of scenes with Amidala to be added into Return of the Jedi (in a flashback sequence I am guessing, and no, I'm not kidding)

I think Lucas is going to add the "ghost" of Amidala to the final scene, reuniting Anakin and Padme in death....touching....:rolleyes:

ekent
07-16-2003, 11:39 PM
Great, maybe they will overlap the guy who played "old" Anakin with the new bratty actor. Even better, overlap Alec Guiness with Ewen MacGregor, how perfect would that be :bs: