PDA

View Full Version : Homicidal

R. I. P.
06-08-2003, 08:02 AM
William Castle has always been one of my fave horror directors. Classic films such as "The Tingler", "I Saw What You Did", and "Mr. Sardonicus" rank as topnotch horror films in my book. "Homicidal" is no exception. This first-rate chiller should appeal to most of you as it is every bit as powerful as the original "Psycho", IMHO. Many consider this a ripoff of "Psycho" but I tend to disagree. For those of you who are familiar with this film, what's your humble opinion of it? Personally, I highly recommend it and consider it a most worthy addition to anyone's DVD library. It's truly an early classic within the "slasher" genre. :cool:

R. I. P. :glasses:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005V4XE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

marioscido
06-08-2003, 08:52 AM
I haven't seen this. In fact, I need to see more William Castle films. I really like "Strait-Jacket," but shamefully, I have not seen very many of his other films. I was put off from buying "Homicidal" because the disc is not in its original aspect ratio.

dwatts
06-08-2003, 02:11 PM
What was the original OAR?

I might have seen this a long time ago, but certainly not recently. The full screen on such a title is not a killer, imho. I have plenty of 50's sci-fi that is full screen, I'd rather have it than not.

I do own, "I Saw What You Did" from AB. Nice little disc.

I checked this out on DDD though, and it's $19.14. Not cheap for a disc like this. I'll add it to my wish list, but a lot of other things must come first.

marioscido
06-08-2003, 06:35 PM
That's because a lot fifties sci-fi was shot in 1.33:1. The first few widescreen films were released in 1953.

"Homicidal" was made in 1961, and was shot in 1.85:1 (open matte I believe).

Rock
06-09-2003, 05:48 PM
A fun but minor thriller, quite shocking in its day, however...but the bad acting (especially by "Warren") really hurts it for modern audiences...we absolutely howled when we saw this in a horror film class awhile back.

Yowie
06-10-2003, 08:29 AM
I've always liked this movie for its great eerie atmosphere, the mute wheelchair bound woman who is mucho creepy IMO, and of course for the story's Danish connection. I remember a post here once saying it's supposed to be fullscreen, but I really hoped it would've been widescreen like the other Castle DVDs.

MaxRenn
06-10-2003, 03:04 PM
"Homicidal" is pretty good although I found it a little hard to take seriously. Castle's gimmicks and showmanship tend to undermine his movies.

For those who have seen the movie I have a question.....

When watching the film did you figure out the twist or were you surprised? Unfortunately I was already aware of the twist but I'm curious to know whether people were taken in

How is "I Saw What You Did"? I'm interested in seeing that one.

R. I. P.
06-10-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by MaxRenn

When watching the film did you figure out the twist or were you surprised? Unfortunately I was already aware of the twist but I'm curious to know whether people were taken in

How is "I Saw What You Did"? I'm interested in seeing that one.

To answer your question, I must admit I was indeed fooled the first time I saw this. I thought the blonde's personality and overall seductiveness was enough to completely separate herself from "Warren". I was blown away when the truth was revealed. Of course, I've been known to be a little naive at times. :lol:

"I Saw What You Did" is another effective chiller centering around an innocent prank that all of us may have done at one time or another as children and the consequences that follow. I guarantee it will hold your interest. ;)

R. I. P. :glasses:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000K0DO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg