PDA

View Full Version : Encyclopedia of Horror

Dave
06-09-2003, 01:41 AM
I was watching the Encyclopedia of Horror box set this weekend, which I still haven't gone through completely. That's probably going to be the next laserdisc review, actually. It's 4 laserdiscs, 8 sides. Each side runs roughly 45 minutes. It was a mini-documentary of sorts that was created in the 80s. It was hosted by Stephen King, though his screentime is minimal.

It covers everything, and there's no doubt there's something for every horror fan out there. Whether you're a cannibal guy, slasher, giallo, monsters, etc., it's covered in the encyclopedia. Much of it is just clips from various movies, which at first I didn't like but I'm starting to enjoy that now that they're covering movies I haven't seen or that I haven't seen in ages. But more importantly there are cool behind-the-scenes footage from various horror icons doing their magic. Savini, Raimi, Argento, etc, etc. One part I was watching this weekend was very cool. They were filming Tom Savini in his effects workshop. The phone rang and it turned out it was the greenlight for the 1990 NOTLD remake. Tom and his team were so excited. It was cool to see them reacting to it and talking a bit about their plans for the remake.

Keep in mind all this footage is from the mid to late 80s. These guy look a lot younger, especially King - much heavier back then and no grays in his hair.

I'm not actually looking forward to going through the entire set. Can you believe I've been sitting on this thing for over a year without really cracking it open until the past few weeks?

AGH!$#!@#

Zodiac-Mindwarp
06-09-2003, 01:45 AM
Sounds like a nice LD set Dave.

I am looking forward to your review. :)

wago70
06-09-2003, 06:58 PM
I saw this when broadcast back in '88 (as "This is Horror"). I have some of this recorded but I missed a lot of it (caught it mid-program). Some of this also showed up on MTV for an all-day special that Halloween of '88. One of the VJ's was doing his hosting from the lake in the first FRIDAY THE 13TH - he was on the shore of the lake at the spot where Alice gets attacked by Jason. Cool stuff.

Dave
06-09-2003, 09:21 PM
That is what I'm confused about. How could they show this on TV? There are lots of clips with nudity in them. There are even clips with male frontal nudity, though they are optically blurred since this is from Japan.

How did they handle these clips on the TV? Were those clips just cut from the TV or what?

wago70
06-10-2003, 06:42 PM
The TV version is only an hour long with commercials. Had I known there was THAT much footage (what is it - 3 or 4 laserdiscs?) I would have mailed, called and threatened the pre-FOX network to pony up the goods!!!
I would have done it, too. In 1981, I wrote SHOWTIME a personalized letter asking for them to show horror films. At the time, believe it or else, HBO was the only pay-TV station showing the greats (The Fog, Halloween, Terror Train, ect).
I got a personalized letter back from the Vice President saying they will look into my requests (I listed all the now-classics). A few months later - THE HEARSE plays as a special sneak preview (and for ratings). The next month, Showtime broadcasted: Humanoids From the Deep, Friday the 13th and ONLY the films on my list!

Dave
06-10-2003, 06:45 PM
An hour long? That's it? Weird.

My set is 4 discs, 8 sides. Each side is roughly 40-50 minutes.

wago70
06-11-2003, 03:00 AM
Yes, but the program was only an hour long and there were the commercials. A lot was missing. I still have my half recording to go on, at least until I can afford that set on eBay.