PDA

View Full Version : Those 70's films! Wish Lists

dwatts
06-09-2003, 01:45 PM
As you might know, I am currently reading "Ten Years of Terror - British Horror Films of the 70's" put out by Fab Press. This book is very good indeed, I can't say enough about it. They've done a ton of research, and remind me of films I had either forgotten, or never knew about.

So - I'm going mad trying to add some films to my wish lists. Sadly, it is not proving very easy to do, since a lot of these titles have yet to show up in the medium of DVD. Here are the films I want to buy from 1970 and 1971. Anyone want to add anything from their own lists? I will add to mine as I work through the different years of the book and decide what I want. Of course, this lis is limited to dsicussing the 70's.

Blood on Satanís Claw
The Beast in the Cellar
Fragment of Fear
The House that Dripped Blood
Mumsy, nanny, sonny and girly
Ten Rillington Place
The Devils
Night Hair Child/What the Peeper Saw
Venom
Virgin Witch
Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?

I'd buy these in an instant. I simply cannot believe Ten Rillington place is not out on DVD. What's up with that?

speanroc
06-09-2003, 04:36 PM
thriller : a cruel picture
blood shack
i drink your blood
3 on a meathook
night train murders

dwatts
06-09-2003, 05:37 PM
You'd buy those? I just did a quick search for three of them (I drink your blood, 3 on a meathook and Blood Shack) and the first two get universally panned, and the last is 60 minutes long, and apparently only mildly amusing (oh, there is a 70 minute version with some pading added to the Directors cut). What attracts you to them?

Not criticizing, just curious. I don't know these ones, so I wanted to do a little learning :)

Atmims
06-09-2003, 06:51 PM
"Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?" Is already on DVD isn't it? It's on a MGM Midnight Double Feature with "What's the Matter With Helen?" I haven't seen either of these but for the price I should have already picked it up.

Hellbilly
06-09-2003, 07:24 PM
1. Let's Scare Jessica To Death - One of the most underrated Vampire films of the 70s.
2. The Visitor and The Dark - Sure, they're bad and pure camp but still make a fun watch. The Visitor is a very weird horror/sci-fi flick, and you can't go wrong with a 7 feet tall Alien blasting laser beam's through his eyes (The Dark). Bring on the cheese! :D
3. Phase IV - It's a crying shame this little gem hasn't made it to DVD yet.

R. I. P.
06-09-2003, 07:39 PM
Ditto on "Let's Scare Jessica To Death", one of the most creepy and atmospheric films I've had the pleasure to see. Another underrated flick that I believe could make a nice package is "Crucible Of Horror" with Michael Gough at his most menacing. Sharon Gurney plays his tormented daughter and she is hot!!! :evil: Anyway, I consider this British thriller DVD worthy. ;)

R. I. P. :glasses:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6302872723.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

CJ
06-09-2003, 08:54 PM
I'd like to see the satanic road movie Race with the Devil out on DVD. Where is it????

Yowie
06-10-2003, 07:40 AM
Yeah dwatts, that book is excellent, I can't put it down myself. My mouth is just watering reading about all that classic '70's spooky British ghost TV listed in the back of the book, most of it sadly not available on video.

dwatts
06-10-2003, 08:13 AM
--LOL--

It is the kind of book you spend $40 on - but as you're reading it, money keeps bleeding out of your wallet (must have that one, must have that one, need that....)

Sadly though, these films are under-represented on DVD. I even - cringe - considered going back to videotape. But then came to my senses.

Aside from that - what a great read.

Shannafey
06-10-2003, 02:48 PM
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - Classic 70s TV film with Kim Darby. One of the best and very hard to find on VHS!! If anyone has a copy, I can make a dvd of it!!

Yowie
06-12-2003, 11:51 AM
:banana: Dwatts, is that new avatar a home movie ?. :D

dwatts
06-12-2003, 12:21 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

But of course, yes, this is actually a web cam. I'm having a real busy day :)

Actually, I stole it from the "Freeks and Geeks" forum. :D

Hellbilly
06-12-2003, 04:08 PM
:eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

dougi
05-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Ditto on " Race With The Devil "

Movie Baron
06-13-2004, 09:53 PM
Greetings to all - There is a R2 release of The House That Dripped Blood on Anchor Bay and also 10 Rillington Place is out on R2 DVD
Regards,
RKBB
www.moviebaron.net
My Movies http://www.moviebaron.net/search.php?searchstr=movie+baron&searchopt=user

betterdan
06-13-2004, 11:24 PM
There is also a region 1 release of The House That Dripped Blood from Lions Gate. I was gonna say Let's Scare Jessica to Death and Race With The Devil but I was beaten to th punch so I'll say Blood and Lace from 1971.