PDA

View Full Version : Devil Rides Out

Paff
06-10-2003, 08:29 AM
While we're discussing Hammer, what are the opinions on this one? I snagged a copy on LD off of E-Bay real cheap. Even as a blind buy, how bad can it be if Chris Lee is in it?

Again, I do like these Elite Hammer LDs. Really nice transfers and extras.

dwatts
06-10-2003, 09:10 AM
Man, are you in for a real treat!

This was the first of the Dennis Wheatley films (To the Devil a Daughter was the second, and spelt a kiss of death to the relationship) – and one they did everything right on. Not only is Lee amazing in it (heck, he plays the good guy!) but everyone does a great job. The scene with the….. nah, won’t spoil it for you.

Devil Rides Out is an amazing film, overall, it is up high in the Hammer echelon. It has touches of “Curse/Night of the Demon, if you know that one.

I must watch this again myself. I have the R1 release – no extras to speak of (trailer only). Honestly, this is one the greatest Hammer films, imho.

Paff
06-10-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by dwatts
I have the R1 release – no extras to speak of (trailer only).

Huh? The Anchor Bay DVD doesn't have the Christopher Lee commentary??

dwatts
06-10-2003, 09:49 AM
Firstly, I messed up - I have the R2 release :)

It's not the AB release, I think it's out by Studio Canal in a set of five films of which, this is the best).

mutleyhyde
06-11-2003, 02:28 AM
Paff, Devil Rides Out is one of the topmost Hammer classics. As Watts says, you're in for a treat. I'm always kinda leery of playing something up too much, and raising expectations, but I think it's pretty safe to say Devil Rides Out kicks ass. :evil:

hell ya!
06-11-2003, 03:06 AM
Another one i gotta pick up.:( :cool:

dwatts
06-11-2003, 11:30 AM
mutleyhyde: Was is you persuaded me to get Rasputin? If it was, good move!

CJ
06-11-2003, 08:29 PM
The Devil Rides Out is one of the better Hammer entries, and it's interesting in that Lee gets to play a good guy in this one.

Another DVD I must get round to buying...

mutleyhyde
06-12-2003, 03:14 AM
mutleyhyde: Was is you persuaded me to get Rasputin? If it was, good move!

Yessir. (http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11284) :D

I push Rasputin on everyone. It's mandatory viewing. :)

dwatts
06-12-2003, 11:20 AM
Well, now I know where you got your sig quite from.

That's a great reocmmendation.

I now own it (and enjoyed it) so I guess I can stay a little longer ;)

gfanikf
06-14-2003, 09:25 PM
I highly recommend it is a treat to see Christopher Lee as a good guy and it a well done story with a great score by James Bernard. I was lucky to find it in a store recently (its not oop but mostly needs to be backorderd) and promptly told my g/f thats what I wanted for my birthday along with some undecided Horror or Dr Who DVD's. Now I just have to wait till July 17th to hear Christophers Lee's more then likly expert commentary.

marioscido
06-19-2003, 05:10 PM
Devil Rides Out is an amazing film, overall, it is up high in the Hammer echelon. It has touches of “Curse/Night of the Demon, if you know that one.

Yes, I thought so too. I kept on thinking of the Tourneur film as well. I watched this for the first time last night and enjoyed it. I liked the scene with Satan as a goat sitting crossed legged - wonderful image. Terence Fisher's direction just moves right along. Even the film's editing and pacing reminded me of "Curse/Night."