PDA

View Full Version : The Initiation

Cujo108
06-21-2001, 02:29 AM
I love this slasher so very much, and in anticipation of the upcoming DVD, I am posting a new thread on this slasher classic.

This superb film is one of my top 5 favorite slasher films of all time! Seriously, I think this film is criminally underrated, and it shouldn't be, because this film is excellent.

Daphne Zuniga is pretty good as the heroine (and hot too ), and it was nice seeing ROTLD's Clu Gulager (sp?) in this film. The killings are great, even though they aren't very graphic. I loved them despite the little gore. The atmospheric mall is like no mall I've ever seen before, and is a wonderful and creepy setting. The ending is pretty groovy and unexpected too. And of course there is some good ol' nudity, and the girls that get naked are indeed pretty damn hot (Zuniga doesn't get naked though :( ).

Honestly, I love this film, and I have been eagerly anticipating the DVD release all year! I will definitely be getting it! What do you all think of this superb slasher?

rhett
06-23-2001, 10:36 PM
Never even heard of it! :( What is it about?

MacReady
06-28-2001, 05:52 AM
I haven't seen this one since good ol' Video Village let me rent it in its cool plastic Thorn EMI case. I remember it being not boring. That's about it, but "not boring" is high praise for a lot of slasher movies! I'd be down with checking this one out on DVD.

Cujo108
07-03-2001, 08:02 PM
Hey Rhett! The Initiation is about a girl (the pretty hot Daphne Zuniga) and her friends who must go into a mall at night and steal the nightwatchman's uniform to be initiated into a sorority. Also, she has amnesia about when she was younger and keeps having a weird nightmare. Well, they get stuck in there with a killer who may be a part of her past. It is a very good and creepy film that you should check out. :)

Doyel
07-05-2001, 07:43 PM
Ya I just bought a really old VHS in the total of it's time in the store it was rented 4 times 2 of which were me so the guy gave it to me!!! I enjoy it on many levels (actual plot and you can find it hard to figure out who the killer is!!! The film is one of the most underrated films ever it's up there with My Bloody Valentine and The Carpenter!!!

Cujo108
05-23-2002, 03:56 AM
Hello all! I just read Dave's review of the upcoming AB DVD of this slasher classic, and it gave me the urge to resurrect my old thread. Any other fans of this great slasher?

rhett
05-23-2002, 05:08 AM
Great review Dave, I am definitely going to pick this up ASAP. I tried looking for this on VHS after you mentioned it Cuje, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I can't wait to see it.

Joel Groce
05-23-2002, 06:01 AM
Yeah, I have the VHS and this is definitely a cool slasher with a few good twists. Only thing is that I'm really curious what the cover will be. Dave has the poster with his review and doesn't include the front/back cover for some reason. I hope it is the original "phallic" cover as similar to the poster shown and not some new-fangled copout. (course these are "minor" quibbles)

WesReviews
05-25-2002, 10:12 AM
It's on Anchor Bay's list for this year. I'd say it'll come out around Oct. or Nov. Can't wait to see this one.

Cujo108
09-14-2002, 05:37 AM
So, now that the DVD of this classic is FINALLY out (I bought it this past Tuesday, YAY! :) ), are there anymore thoughts on it? I'm happy to say it is still one of my top 5 favorite slasher films!

betterdan
09-14-2002, 06:52 AM
Did it keep the original artwork?

shift
09-14-2002, 07:29 AM
I wish there was Extras :(

Also does any1 know what actual MALL they were in this movie?

I am thinking it was located in Houston, Tx

Thats a big ass mall!!

KillerCannabis
09-14-2002, 08:32 PM
Sounds decent, maybe I'll have to give it a rent sometime. I like the sound of the plot, but I dont like Zuniga. Maybe the movie will be good enough for me to forget about her being in it.

McBride_01
09-15-2002, 04:36 AM
I also like this slasher film. Nice atmosphere and gore. And I don't mind Zuniga at all. :)

rhett
06-21-2003, 07:22 AM
I finally got myself a copy of this (thanks shift!) and watched it last night. I thought it was a good little slasher. Some of those POV shots of the killer were extremely well done, especially the very creepy shot of the killer coming from the end of the driveway all the way to kill the Fairchild owner. I also liked the way the film addressed dreams and Freud. It really picked up in the shopping mall, and the final revelation was pretty cool.

I must say though, I did find the film to be fairly predictable, but for an 80's slasher that is just fine. The fact that the killer was the twin was pretty heavily foreshadowed during the scene at the sanitarium, where it showed the red herring father, but refused to show the girl looking at the father. The movie faltered a bit by trying to spoon feed the audience all the facts over and over, especially the stuff about Freud and mirrors. It was an ambitious story, and I think it would have worked even better had it been more understated.

Still though, this isn't high art, it is a slasher, and I had a good time with this one. Some nice T&A, gore and atmosphere kept me happy throughout. Not a classic, but definitely a good slasher film. Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Hellbilly
06-21-2003, 07:34 AM
by the way one of your "spoilers" didn't work :D
Glad you enjoyed this though.
Now, if I can only get you to watch Possession and The Company Of Wolves I'd be a happy man :)

onebyone
06-21-2003, 08:47 AM
I like this movie too, always have. It isn't perfect, but let's face it, if it was, I wouldn't like it nearly as much. Hell, it even had a few actually scary moments in with the cheese, and that doesn't happen nearly enough.

I like this movie so much I returned dvd after dvd to get one that acually worked. I couldn't do without the shopping mall scenes on dvd, as that is a good tiime.

And listen to Hellbilly and watch The Company Of Wolves; that is a great movie too.

DefJeff
06-21-2003, 06:40 PM
ah good to see you finally checked this out Rhett, and I'm glad you enjoyed it, althought I figured you probly would. I hope my review had something to do with it!!

rhett
06-22-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by DefJeff
ah good to see you finally checked this out Rhett, and I'm glad you enjoyed it, althought I figured you probly would. I hope my review had something to do with it!! It definitely did Jeff! I was going to ressurect your old thread, but I wanted to give the slasher forum a boost. :)

I wish AB would have sprung for more extras on the disc though. I really wanted to hear a commentary from the director. Oh well.

WesReviews
06-24-2003, 07:38 AM
The film is one of the most underrated films ever it's up there with My Bloody Valentine and The Carpenter!!!
Wait a minute, what is The Carpenter? A slasher I've not heard of? Incredible! :)

Cujo108
06-25-2003, 12:28 AM
Its good that you FINALLY checked this classic out, Rhett, but its a shame that I recommended it to you ages ago and you're just now getting around to seeing it. I thought you trusted my opinion more than that. ;) And it is a classic slasher BTW, and it trounces the hell out of PROM NIGHT any day. :p

You've finally gotten to this and THE SENTINEL. Now hop to it and check out my other five recommendations!