PDA

View Full Version : Carnival of Souls

dwatts
06-14-2003, 11:51 PM
Thinking back, I must have been living in some kind of denial. I mean, I was sure I had seen this film before, but having just watched it, I think probably not (this one just sticks with you).

I have the Criterion Collection version, and watched the extended Directors cut. It finished about an hour ago, but is still sticking with me. Wow, what a strange and wonderful little film! Unique, puzzling, surreal, frightening.

Anyone else been pole-axed by this film? And what of the Wes Craven version?

Wolf Man
06-15-2003, 05:41 AM
The original is fantastic and has spawned a ridiculous number of copycats in the past few years, of which Adam Grossman's (not Wes Craven's) version is the worst. I like Larry Miller, but he is wasted in this role.

John
06-15-2003, 06:06 AM
Carnival of Souls is a classic film. It is very underrated and deserves the tratment it got by Criterion. More proof that atmosphere, not gore, is HUGE to making a creepy horror film.

mutleyhyde
06-15-2003, 06:21 AM
I dug it, and had never seen it before the Critter dvd. I really liked the subtle eerieness to it... seemed to me to be what Rod Serling would have put on screen had he made a movie back in his TZ heyday.

Andrew
06-15-2003, 06:26 AM
I've had it for a long time. When I watched it, it was on the train so I couldn't really get into it. I've been meaning to watch it like hell again (and at least try to go through the wealth of extras), but I haven't had a huge desire too. I'll probably pop it in during the fall though, as the atmosphere suits it pretty well IMO.

marioscido
06-15-2003, 08:56 AM
I love this film!! Not many films can creep under your skin the way this one can. And the score! No one ever mentions the great organ score. I think a lot of the atmosphere is generated by that great score. Nothing like it. This film deserves the same kind of recognition "Night of the Living Dead" has received. Unfortunately, certain accidents of history buried it for a time. But I'm glad it has at least made an impact more recently. One of my favorite horror films.

Don't consider anything else but the Criterion disc.

betterdan
06-15-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde
seemed to me to be what Rod Serling would have put on screen had he made a movie back in his TZ heyday.

He did do this as a tZ episode. Remember the Hitchhiker?

dwatts
06-15-2003, 02:03 PM
I read one of the interviews on the disc - this film was made for around $30,000. Guess what? They DID NOT make their money back! They all lost money on it! Amazing. The original distributor was a crook, put the film out, grabbed all the cash, and then did a runner to South America.

mutleyhyde
06-15-2003, 05:50 PM
Dan, I just mean I think Carnival feels like a really well done feature length TZ. I unfortunately don't remember the particular episode you're talking about. :o

Yeah, that blows, doesn't it Watts? Great commentary on the disc too. :up:

dvdasia62
06-15-2003, 05:59 PM
It's funny because I always felt that "Carnival" was like a feature length episode of "One Step Beyond" as opposed to "TZ". The "TZ" episode of "The Hitch-Hiker", which was originally broadcast in 1959 may have served as some uncredited inspiration for Harvey and Clifford. Serling's episode was actually taken from a radio play of the same name which was broadcast in 1949, I believe.

Applesngore
06-20-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by dwatts
Thinking back, I must have been living in some kind of denial. I mean, I was sure I had seen this film before, but having just watched it, I think probably not (this one just sticks with you).

That's funny, dwatts, because when I first watched it I had this really eerie feeling that I've already seen it.... It's a great, great movie. Wow. So scary. Scared me so, so much. I must rent it again ...

Rachel

Latency
06-27-2003, 02:21 AM
Just picked up the AB version at Walmart Canada for $8.88 CND. Also saw C.H.U.D. for the same price. CHUD worth picking up ?

Latency
06-27-2003, 02:23 AM
I am a complete dumb ass. I am thiking of Circus of Horrors. Sorry guys :cry: