PDA

View Full Version : Assault on Precinct 13 misnamed?

nor-t
02-02-2001, 10:21 AM
Just watched this Carpenter classic again and noticed something strange. When the cop is sent to the closing station at the start of the film he quite clearly is told Precinct 9 Section 13 (this is said twice). I guess 'Assault on Precinct 9 Section 13' is not quite so snappy! Perhaps this is well known but just thought I'd mention it :D

Der Todesking
02-02-2001, 11:16 AM
Heh, I didn't catch that. I've only seen the film once, in the theatre at a film fest. It was cheesy as hell, but I've gotta say, it blew me away. Anyone have any comments on the DVD release? (I think it's been released, hasn't it?) Is it worth picking up?

napalm68
02-02-2001, 01:30 PM
Yes, I agree. I've seen it twice and noticed that both times...

Oh yeah - the DVD release is quite good, although expensive. It has an interesting commentary by Carpenter, and is anamorphic. It is actually getting a release in Australia sometime this year, and I guess will be a lot cheaper than the US one.

Paff
02-02-2001, 05:46 PM
I always suggest following up Assault on Precinct 13 with From Dusk Till Dawn. I listened to the FDTD commentary, and Tarantino doesn't mention once that he lifted some dialogue directly from Carpenter's movie. The fact that the kid wears a Precinct 13 shirt shows Tarantino was openly copying it, but still...

rhett
02-03-2001, 12:11 AM
Actually, Assualt On Precinct 13 is not even the original title. It was released before as The Siege, but was latter renamed when good ol' Michael Myers (ring a bell?) helped get the film critical acclaim at a film festival. :D

From what I hear the transfer on the DVD is not so good, that is why I have been hesitant to buy it. The cheapest price I found in Canada was 50 bucks :(