PDA

View Full Version : I got the new Manhunter early!

Lindane
01-22-2001, 08:26 AM
My girlfriend works at Suncoast and brought me home a little treat today. The LE Manhunter! Its got some pretty cool shit inside of it too. Kinda remindes me of the se7en DVD. Just got through watching it for the first time. It says its hailed far superior to Silence of the Lambs but I dont know about that. Although the ending did go pretty hard with the Iron Butterfly. Anybody else get this yet, or am I the lucky one?

mutleyhyde
01-22-2001, 10:31 AM
You're the lucky one. I don't know about it being hailed at all. I remember when Silence came out. Manhunter had it's big network debut, and everybody I knew said it wasn't worth watching then. What makes it so great now? I definitely do want to check it out, but there's no way it could compare to Silence, or else it would have a much larger following than it does now.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

ArrowBeach
01-22-2001, 10:37 AM
Problem with the film is it is too MIAMI VICES-ish. Also seems like you are better off buying th esingle disc version than the 2 disc LT edition, as seems liek there are huge threads on other boards about how godawful the transfer on the 2 disc version is, and that it isnt worth 10 extra dollars.

AceRimRat
01-22-2001, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I agree it's not as good as SOTL, but it certainly has its good points. I always liked the ending with the Iron Butterfly music, too.

I want the disc, but I'm torn on the LE because I heard there's only 3 minutes of added footage, but it's supposed to be pretty good stuff - but the condition of the image has me concerned.

I've got a birthday coming up, so I'm sort of thinking if I get a gift certificate or something that offsets the extra cost, I'll go for it anyway.

(And I always liked Red Dragon, the Harris book, better than the Silence book - but the SOTL movie is one of my all-time faves - I have the nice Criterion DVD.)

Mark Relford
01-23-2001, 12:23 AM
Tom Noonan played a good psycho in it. Another version of Red Dragon has been considered. They want Hopkins to be in it.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

hojimoji
01-23-2001, 01:38 AM
I read on IMDb that Hopkins has reportedly denounced the idea of doing another SOTL sequel(prequel, who's counting?) He says that they have taken it as far as it can go with Hannibal, and to do any more would be greedy. Or so said the IMDb article.

G.

nimereht
01-23-2001, 06:41 AM
"but there's no way it could compare to Silence, or else it would have a much larger following than it does now."

i totally disagree with this statement...just because something is well known, does not make it better...i do agree that manhunter is not as good as silence, but it still is a damn good movie, and i look forward to seeing it again after many years...

mutleyhyde
01-23-2001, 10:55 PM
Uhm, Nimereht... You've mis-interpreted my statement. Not only did you quote me out of context, you quoted a suporting point, and not my main point. What I'm saying is that in all probability, with the popularity of Silence, you would think that the masses would've revisited Manhunter to some degree - they didn't. It showed once on broadcast tv (during Silence's heyday), and not to much fanfare at all. I stand behind what I said in that if something is good, it will have at least SOME kind of following. Manhunter doesn't have much of one. It is not for this that Manhunter is not a great film. It is, however, for the fact that Manhunter is not a great film that it is not that popular. It may be well done with some good performances, but I repeat, it does not compare to Silence. Spin all you want, but bottom line is that Silence outdoes Manhunter. Having said all that, I am looking forward to the release. Just because something is better than something else, doesn't mean I'm not interested.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

M. Hyde

[This message has been edited by mutleyhyde (edited 01-23-2001).]

DVD Connoisseur
01-24-2001, 01:26 AM
I've read some good reviews of Manhunter. I know some critics actually prefer it to SOTL as it has a more subtle approach. For me, the Lambs wins easily but I like Manhunter. It's a good film with some great moments but Mann's Miami Vice techniques are a little irritating, particularly in one scene (but I don't want to spoil anything for newcomers to this movie).

nimereht
01-24-2001, 02:06 AM
well, i'm sorry if i took your comment out of context and i agree with you that silence is a better film...but i must stress that the "masses" as you say have not discovered this film because the "masses" in my mind are idiots! just because anthony hopkins does not play hannibal in manhunter, makes it less of a film to "them". i still think many of the "masses" don't even know these films are based on books! the other point I want to make is that it DOES have some kind of following, or it wouldn't be coming out on dvd at all(let alone a limited edition tin).

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-24-2001, 02:14 AM
It's an all around entertaining film, considering the budget and the time it was made. We could've gotten a creepier sense of the killer, with more punch than pinch, and some of the drama was way off, but I can say that this is good film all in all. I've seen, and own, much worse. Just don't go in expecting Foster/Hopkins(Moore=Foster) kick ass roles and you're good to go.

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

Lindane
01-24-2001, 08:39 AM
I guess what makes it so great now Hyde is that Hannibal comes out in a couple weeks so they want to butter this up for some dollars. Im also guessing that this is the same reason for why they are pushing Manhunters release date to Feb 13th. Fuck popularity, it was still a pretty descent flick. I dont think its better than SOTL but well worth checking out. The quality on the 2nd disc is pretty bad though. I still havent had time to watch the first one. I guess this (the LE version) was great for me because it was a gift. Would I put down $40.00 large for it, I dont know.

mutleyhyde
01-24-2001, 09:20 AM
Damn, Lindane, you hit the nail on the head. I cannot believe that I didn't make the connection that this release coincides with the release of Hannibal. It's like, "duh - no shit". Once again though, I AM very interested in seeing this, all (assumed) inferiority to Silence considered. I love the Hannibal books (except the ending in "Hannibal") and like what I've seen of Brian Cox; he was perfect for Nazi Goring in TNT's Nuremburg. Really, you guys don't need to sell me on this movie. I'm gonna check it out, and from what I've heard, I'm probably going to dig it. I just had a problem with the statement you (Lindane) quoted from the dvd material, that "its hailed far superior to Silence of the Lambs", as so did you. Just out of curiosity, where did that statement come from? I'll bet it's on the back cover, right? Hmm...

------------------

M. Hyde

Lindane
01-24-2001, 09:40 AM
Actually, its on the front cover. I was only quoting the cover, this was not my personal opinion of the film. I guess I was just hyping it up because I had just gotten through watching it and was pretty impressed with the package as a whole. About the release date....Im almost positive its true because my girlfriends store got a huge shipment of these DVDs and were supposed to be released today. However, just a few days ago she was told not to put Manhunter on the shelf till February 13th, 4 days after Hannibal!!! HMMMMM.....

Lindane
01-24-2001, 09:48 AM
"I just had a problem with the statement you (Lindane) quoted from the dvd material, that "its hailed far superior to Silence of the Lambs", as so did you."

I dont want to argue, but just for the record I would like to clear this up. Where in my first statement did I ever say that ME,MYSELF, and I hailed this movie far superior to SOTL?? You will see that I actually disagreed with the quote. Please, just go back and read my first statement. Again, I was only quoting the cover to try and spark some interest.

[This message has been edited by Lindane (edited 01-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Lindane (edited 01-24-2001).]

mutleyhyde
01-24-2001, 10:01 AM
No, no, no bud, I'm saying that you obviously had a problem with the dvd statement as well, because you said "I don't know about that" after you mentioned the statement. I was saying that I had a problem with the statement, "as did you" apparently. We're on the same page here, we're just getting our wires crossed a little. I think we're both up too late, LOL! Actually, your posts have made me laugh a lot, and you've also made some interesting points. If I'm not mistaken, you're pretty new to the site. I'd just like to say "welcome" and glad your here!

------------------

M. Hyde

Lindane
01-24-2001, 10:13 AM
yea Hyde, after I submitted my statement I reread yours and that crossed my mind. Sorry I misunderstood you. Thanks for the welcome too! I read your profile and noticed you live in Dallas!! I live in Mckinney. Whereabouts Dallas do you live? Man, I love this site. Ever heard of Campisis?

mutleyhyde
01-24-2001, 10:18 AM
Yeah, ain't that funny? I checked your profile out too and noticed that. I'm in north Dallas, right near a Campisis. Good pizza; no fava beans though!

------------------

M. Hyde

Lindane
01-24-2001, 10:42 AM
The one on Campell and Coit or the one at Parker and Independence? I deliver for the one at Parker.

mutleyhyde
01-24-2001, 11:05 AM
Bummer, I'm down by the Campbell and Coit one. I'd have hit you up for some cheap crab claws if you delivered for that one, LOL! You think your girl could hook me up with a Manhunter? Wish I had a girlfriend who worked at Suncoast - that's got to rule! Shit man, now I'm gonna be buggin' ya for cheap pizza AND dvds, ha ha ha!

Lindane
01-25-2001, 10:05 AM
Ill see what I can do about the Manhunter disc. Im positive shes not allowed to legally buy it, but Im sure there are other ways. HEHEHE. She gets a pretty descent discount, so if they do sell her one, I can get you it a little bit of a cheaper deal than the real price. Speaking of crab claws, just ate some about 3 hours ago! Goddamm those things are expensive in our store! $13.00 bones! They also happen to be the only thing I cant get a discount on. Cheap Italians. My store aint that far from the one on coit. The coit store just had to close down for a few days because of sewage backup! Our store whoops their ass!