PDA

View Full Version : Bubba-Ho-Tep (2002)

Mortado
06-19-2003, 10:09 PM
Bubba-Ho-Tep (2002)
United States
Director: Don Coscarelli

Well, I finally saw the highly evasive “Bubba-Ho-Tep” at the Seattle International Film Festival and can sum it up with one word: AMAZING! I’m not going to spoil anything in hopes that this will get some kind of distribution soon and ALL of you will see it. I will, however, share some of my thoughts on the movie and its performers.

Bruce Campbell gave the performance of his life as an elderly Elvis (complete with big belly, graying hair/ sideburns and walker) and also did a spectacular job as a younger Elvis in flashback sequences. He had the look, walk, moves, and voice down pat! I have never seen anyone play Elvis so well! Ozzie Davis was also very impressive as JFK, delivering some hilarious lines in a totally serious fashion and conducting himself with the manner one would expect of an ex-president. The dialog throughout the movie was priceless, the writers really did a great job at being hilarious without delving into the stupid-type silliness that plagues a great deal of modern comedies. While some of the special effects could have definitely done with a higher budget (the mummy for example) everything looked pretty damned good. Don Coscarelli’s direction was great, with camera angles and styles very reminiscent of the “Phantasm” movies. Amazingly I have NOTHING bad to say about the movie at all, it’s that good! I fear saying anything else would ruin a lot of laughs and surprises so I’m going to close by saying that this is hands down the best movie I have seen this year. If you are a fan of horror movies, comedies, Bruce Campbell, or Elvis you simply can NOT miss this movie. If you have any film festivals in your area pay attention to the schedules as you can’t miss the opportunity to see this on the big screen. One word of advice, buy your tickets as soon as they go on sale, they went really fast here in Seattle.
5/5

onebyone
06-21-2003, 10:53 AM
:cry: How long must we wait for this? It is so very cruel. Bruce's possibly best performance is out there, and I can't see it. That is just wrong.

zombi3
06-21-2003, 06:31 PM
From Fangoria:

In the best news we’ve heard in a while, Vitagraph Films, the distribution arm of LA’s American Cinematheque, has announced that it has picked up Don Coscarelli’s BUBBA HO-TEP for U.S. release. So far they’ve announced a September 26 opening date at New York’s Angelika Theatre, followed by an October 2 debut at LA’s NuArt Theatre. More theaters in those cities are currently being negoitated, and other national playdates will follow.

Of course it's a limited release, but hopefully a dvd will soon follow.

onebyone
06-22-2003, 01:56 PM
Weeeeeeeeee. I just saw that at another site and came to post the news myself. Anything that gets it closer to my greedy paws is good news. Come to me baby.

This movie is already such a cult hit, it is odd it had such an impossible time getting a distributor. But what the hell, we are closer and it is all good. :banana:

Zodiac-Mindwarp
06-22-2003, 08:43 PM
I normally never go the theater, but for this I would very happily make an exception! :banana:

I can not wait to see this! :D

bigdaddyhorse
06-22-2003, 09:47 PM
The best I can hope for is a Detroit screening, which I'd probably make the 40 minute drive for, esp. if they have it at the "brew and view"! I missed House of 1000 Corpses last week at that:( .

Bring on the dvd, then I can have my own Brew View and Bar-b-Que with a bit extra!