PDA

View Full Version : Slave/ Mountain of the Cannibal God

Werner Von Wallenrod
05-08-2001, 09:54 AM
In the MotCG review, Jeremy says, "avoid the horrible domestic release from (*ugh*) Diamond Entertainment." But actually, the Diamond DVD looks pretty nice. I mean, maybe EC's is a little sharper (haven't seen it), but Diamond's bright, widescreen picture (I understand ripped from the EC laserdisc?) is pretty nice... Certainly, after the murky Pieces and Demon, I could see being pretty wary of Diamond, but the other two Diamond titles I own, SotCG and House On Haunted Hill look really good.
I mean, just by two cents... But, considering the price difference, and a lack of compelling extras for either title, I think it might be a mistake to dismiss Diamond's version. :cool:

Ralph Mouth
05-13-2001, 05:23 PM
But the EC disc is atleast uncut, unlike Diamonds who chopped the willy chop :(

Jeremy
05-13-2001, 09:09 PM
Werner, did you notice any MPEG artifacting on the Diamond version, though? Because when I complained about the Diamond release, I wasn't referring to it's print quality as much as I was referring to the disc's (apparently) horrible mastering job, which was full of pixelation and other artifacts.

To be fair, though, if I had to review the EC disc again, I'd probably have a few more complaints about it than I did at the time. That was one of my first reviews, and looking back on it there are a lot of things I would have put in/not said.

AceRimRat
05-14-2001, 08:52 PM
diamond discs have a lot of problems pixellating on certain players - i didn't read the review, but are you sure it was the disc?

pieces and creature blew up on my a110, ran fine on my buddy's ps2 and run fine on my new sony changer. those prints are pretty crappy, but it's not a pixel issue - that was my a110, evidently.

flesh-huntr
05-15-2001, 04:46 AM
I found a copy of HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY, the DIAMOND version, for 7 bucks at BEST BUY, and I think it looks great. It also appears to be uncut version with scenes in the correct order (I could be wrong). It is definitly taken from a laserdisc, because if you let it play out past the end credits it plays about 2 seconds of the trailer and finishes with a blue screen that reads 'end side b...laserdisc'. Just a bit of useless information......

Werner Von Wallenrod
05-15-2001, 08:24 AM
Pixelation didn't appear to be a problem on SotCG on my player. Yeah, Pieces and Demon looked possibly worse than their VHS counter-parts, but not SotCG (or House On Haunted Hill).

The "willy chop" is edited? I presumed, since it was taken from the EC LD, both versions of the film were like that. That cut (no pun) did look suspicious, though...

Jeremy
05-17-2001, 10:58 PM
No, I didn't try it out on any other players. But it did look really terrible, like a crummy VCD. But yeah, I have seen that happen with Diamond discs. I've got their Street Fighter double feature and it plays fine one my R1 player, but not too well on my all-region player.

bruce h
05-19-2001, 01:26 AM
the Diamond Slave of the Cannibal God disc is not taken from EC's LD, as they never released the LD (not enough pre-orders to warrant a pressing). curiously enough the Diamond DVD actually has some slights bits of footage that aren't included in ECs DVD of the title, but as previous posters have mentioned the castration sequence has been cut (no pun intended).