PDA

View Full Version : Agitator - The Cinema of Takashi Miike (Essential purchase)

DVD Connoisseur
06-24-2003, 10:26 PM
Fans of Asian movies may wish to treat themselves to the following:

AGITATOR
The Cinema of Takashi Miike (Hardcover edition)
by Tom Mes

"Fierce. Nonsensical. Vulgar. Powerful. These are words that could be used to describe Takashi Miike. But without doubt the most essential words are self-assured and clever."
- Shinya Tsukamoto

Audition. Dead or Alive. Ichi the Killer. Visitor Q. These films have amazed, stunned, delighted and shocked audiences the world over, garnering critical acclaim for their Japanese director: Takashi Miike.

Seen as one of the most important filmmakers to emerge in Japan in the last twenty years, Takashi Miike has directed 49 feature films and 3 TV series in the space of 11 years. Many of them still unseen outside Japan, Miike's films are marked by a dazzling visual style, brilliant narrative invention and a willingness to go far beyond accepted boundaries.

Agitator - The Cinema of Takashi Miike examines each of these titles in-depth, revealing a provocative but remarkably consistent body of work. Illustrated with hundreds of stills, behind-the-scenes pictures and rare photographs from the director's private collection, this is the first ever study devoted entirely to the work of one of the world's most exciting filmmakers.

Agitator - The Cinema of Takashi Miike includes:

Foreword by film critic/director Makoto Shinozaki
Chapter 1. The Dirt Bike Kid
Takashi Miike's early years, from his first experiments with frogs and firecrackers at age 3 to getting his first shot at directing 28 years later. With exclusive pictures from Takashi Miike's own collection!
Chapter 2. Themes in the work of Takashi Miike
Chapter 3. The Video Years (films, 1991-1995)
An in-depth look at his early made-for-video films, from 1991's Eyecatch Junction to 1995's Naniwa Yukyoden.
Chapter 4. The Outlaw Director (films, 1995-2002)
Even more in-depth, individual analyses of all Miike films and TV series from 1995's Shinjuku Triad Society to 2002's Deadly Outlaw: Rekka.
Chapter 5. Stray Dog
Miike as actor, producer and other non-directorial activities.
Chapter 6. Ichi the Killer production diary
Takashi Miike's own diary of his experiences making the notorious Ichi the Killer. Published in English for the first time ever!
Chapter 7. "I can't pretend to know what I'm doing" A career-spanning interview with Takashi Miike.
Chapter 8. Filmography
A complete filmography with cast and crew credits, running times, Japanese titles, release info and more.
Appendix: DVD Releases
Detailed information on all existing DVD releases of Miike's films, with info on region coding, subtitles, extra features, etc.
Afterword by Shinya Tsukamoto
Exhaustive and complete, Agitator - The Cinema of Takashi Miike is destined to become the definitive word on the most talked-about filmmaker of the decade.
the author:
Tom Mes is the founder and co-editor of MidnightEye.com, the world's leading English-language publication on contemporary Japanese cinema. His work has appeared in such magazines as Fangoria, Impact, Japan Magazine and Skrien. His writing on Takashi Miike has been published in England, the US, France and Russia.
ISBN
1 903254 22 1

Binding
Hardback

Extent
408 pages including 8 pages in full colour

Size
244mm x 171mm

Market
Cinema

Price
UK 24.99
US $39.99

Publication date
21 July 2003

Publishers
FAB Press
Grange Suite
Surrey Place
Mill Lane
Godalming
Surrey
GU7 1EY
England, UK

I'm ordering a copy of this beauty......

DeathDealer
06-25-2003, 12:01 AM
Yea, I been trying to get a hold of this book for a long time. But they keep on pushing the release date back. And, now it's say's it's coming out in the end of July.

dwatts
06-25-2003, 12:56 AM
Movie? It's a book.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually listed it a while back, in a thread on Fab Press. Just about ANYTHING by them is worth it!

2D4EVER
06-25-2003, 03:15 AM
Yea this is a book but Miike made a movie called Agitator also. :O The guy got them mixed up.

DeathDealer
06-25-2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by dwatts
Movie? It's a book.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually listed it a while back, in a thread on Fab Press. Just about ANYTHING by them is worth it!

I meant book. Sorry. :nervous:

2D4EVER
06-25-2003, 04:17 AM
Or not. Haha. :banana:

Erg0n
06-25-2003, 06:19 AM
Amazon has the order page for it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1903254213/qid=1056510755/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_5/002-2886984-1192007?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

unfortunately there's no MSRP anywhere to be found.

on a side note Uzumaki, Vol. 1 and 2 both sell for 12$, which is way cheaper than my local book store. may buy that soon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1569317143/ref=pd_sim_books_2/002-2886984-1192007?v=glance&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1591160332/ref=pd_sim_books_1/002-2886984-1192007?v=glance&s=books

Deaddevilman
07-10-2003, 06:45 AM
The guy who wrote it, Tom Mes, works for midnighteye.com
Ask him directly what the deal with the release date is.

DeathDealer
07-10-2003, 10:21 PM
I just found out from Fab Press that it is going to be released July 21st.

DVD Connoisseur
07-10-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by DeathDealer
I just found out from Fab Press that it is going to be released July 21st.

Eh, yes...it says that in my original post...;)