PDA

View Full Version : DVD of the Week - Week 2 - The New York Ripper

Jason25
12-22-2000, 06:02 AM
Ok folks, here is the second pick from my mixed up head.

I'm in the mood for more Fulci.

I'm hoping we get more conversation than what we had with the first DVD of the Week pick.

mutleyhyde
12-22-2000, 07:16 AM
Shouldn't that be "first DVD of the Weak pick"? Ha ha ha! Oh, oh... sometimes I just crack myself up. Anyway, I have seen this one. First time I saw it, not too impressed. Second time, I was intrigued. I think I got caught up in the hype when it was released (the dvd) and expected more. Watching it a second time, many months later, I could enjoy it for what it was; a good little gory movie with a cornball as hell ending. I definitely want to check out Duckling, Zombie, Beyond, City of the Living Dead, and Cat in the Brain.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

Ralph Mouth
12-22-2000, 03:38 PM
Although the film is uncut, I can't help think the bit in the cinema when the girl dreams she is being carved up is somewhat darker on the Anchor Bay release compared to my old Dutch laser copy.

The bit when she is sliced across the abdomen in particular looks so dark you can't make out where he is slashing her.

The trailer is good and shows all the gory bits clearly and also a couple of shots that never made the final edit which is always nice to see.

AceRimRat
12-22-2000, 09:54 PM
This was the first Fulci film I saw, back when I'd never heard of him and had no idea what was up with this. (It was also one of the first true Euro-horror films I saw, though again, I didn't realize it at the time.)

Needless to say, I have the DVD, filed under "Guilty Pleasures" in my collection (well, really filed under "N" for "New York," but you know what I mean).

But, being honest, having seen more Fulci lately (Zombie, COTLD, the Beyond), I have to say I have sort of a mixed opinion of him, and of this film. I think this one and Zombie are both shallow setpiece-oriented films, as opposed to COTLD/Beyond which I think have more coherent stories (relatively speaking), more sympathetic and fleshed-out (no pun intended) characters and are more involving.

I prefer Ripper to Zombie, which despite the shark fight and splinter-to-the-yow-that-hurts-eyeball scene I really didn't like. But Ripper really is one big mysogyny-fest that only really appeals to the gorehound in me.

My 2.5-3.5 cents.

(And I didn't post to "DVD of the Weak" 1 cause I haven't seen it, if that makes you fell better, Jason.)

Mark Relford
12-23-2000, 01:39 AM
Excellent sleaze fest! It's right up there with another favorite, Lustig's Maniac. The toejob scene rules! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"