PDA

View Full Version : New Argento Project

Jason25
12-27-2000, 05:15 AM
I'm getting very excited over this one, I Can't Sleep. Sounds like Dario is going back to what made him so famous. I'm really hoping to be able to see this film in the near future.

Anyone else excited?

DVD Connoisseur
12-27-2000, 01:12 PM
I'm really looking forward to this new film - if it's as good as Opera (IMHO, his last great movie), I'll be a happy camper. Argento is one of my favourite directors - his films simply ooze style. I may have to wait some time to see the film as it's unlikely to be released theatrically in the UK - hopefully a decent DVD release will follow soon after. My bet is that it'll be released as a Troma DVD. (I thought that the Stendhal Syndrome DVD was okay but I know it received criticisms from some fans.)

Jason25
12-29-2000, 02:03 AM
I'm sure it will be released by someone here in the U.S., just a question of by whom and when.

Jason25
12-29-2000, 02:05 AM
The Stendhal Syndrome dvd from Troma wasn't bad. I'm going to check out the import disc I'm waiting on, I always like to see as much Argento as I can.

Paff
12-29-2000, 07:15 PM
Yeah, it's probably the freshness of Stendhal (along with Troma being the US distibutor) that has caused this film to not get the recognition it so richly deserves.

Plus, it's only on subsequent viewings that you can see the masterpiece that it truly is. Here's a few things I've noticed: (WARNING - Super Mega Friggin Spoilers ahead!!)
Notice some of the things Anna does immediately after her rape (cutting off her hair, disinterest in sex with her boyfriend). I originally thought these were attempts to downplay her sexuality, a common occurence in rape victims. But in her case, it's clearly her new personality, (that of the killer's), beginning to shine through.

After her amnesia, she becomes literally a "blank canvas". She is no longer human. Notice when she does her own painting, it's the same drawing over and over. This is not because she's psychotic or obsessed. It's because she isn't a person, she's a painting, with only one output.

As the movie progresses, she begins to seek out more and more artworks. Why? Well, it's because new art gives her a new facet of personality. She's BECOMING a library of artworks. It's the conflict of various pieces of art that cause her to "blow a gasket" at the end.

Finally, why does she rise up to kill her tormentor? Hmmm....does that statue of David in her hotel room have anything to do with it?

Brilliant film. Simply a brilliant film.

Paff
12-30-2000, 05:04 AM
I'm looking forward to it as well, but they gotta change the name of it, ya know? I mean, Trauma was always called Aura's Enigma until late in production. (Not that any title would have made that a good movie...)

I know that Non No Sonno was originally called Insomnia, but another movie has that name. So what? Ever see a bad 1992 boxing movie called Gladiator? Or a dumb 1994 thriller called Deep Red? Insomnia rolls off the tongue a lot better...

Finally, I really think The Stendhal Syndrome was one of his best movies ever, and I have the feeling that in a few years we'll all see this for the classic that it really is.

DVD Connoisseur
12-30-2000, 05:56 AM
Paff, I'd agree that Stendhal Syndrome will be a future classic. At the moment, it's fresh and is probably overlooked and unfairly criticised. The problem is that Argento has produced such excellent and ground-breaking films in the past that people are always comparing his latest films with the "classics" like Suspiria. Those films were of their time, I thought Stendhal Syndrome was a great 90s movie. In its overall "look," it reminded me of a film from the 70s by Polanski. It was certainly very European in its appearance and very, very atmospheric.

DVD Connoisseur
12-30-2000, 04:19 PM
Paff, I'm going to have to watch it again now! Stendhal Syndrome is a solid film, probably because it's based on an existing novel. As a result, it's more cohesive that most of his other work. This isn't a slur on Argento (the guy is a genius), but I'm sure you'll agree that he tends to place visual gratification / impact above plot in certain movies. This is what makes his movies so delightful and yet ever so frustrating!

The Chaostar
12-31-2000, 03:08 PM
Stendhal is a masterpiece, a film beyond any critisism and anyone who believes otherwise should be forced to see it with needles under his eyelids (OPERA style)! Just kidding of course!

If you are interested check out my review of the film in www.darkdreams.org (http://www.darkdreams.org) (I am Akis!).

DVD Connoisseur
01-01-2001, 02:48 PM
I was over at the Dark Dreams site earlier - the Italian critics are saying that I Can't Sleep is Argento's best movie since Suspiria! With that kind of hype, this film had better be good!

The Chaostar
01-01-2001, 04:28 PM
Imagine that...

And the italian critics HATED the guy...

Let;s keep our fingers crossed my friend!