PDA

View Full Version : Two new GODZILLA movies to debut on Sci Fi Channel

KR~!
06-28-2003, 07:52 AM
While we still wait for domestic DVD releases of the new Godzilla features, the Sci Fi Channel has announced that it will debut Shusuke Kaneko’s spectacular GODZILLA—MOTHRA—KING GHIDORAH (pictured; a.k.a. GODZILLA: GMK) and Masaaki Tezuka’s GODZILLA VS. MEGAGUIRUS on Sunday, August 31. Air times are 5 p.m. for GMK and 3 p.m. for MEGAGUIRUS; they’re preceded by showings of the three REBIRTH OF MOTHRA films starting at 9 a.m. Sci Fi also debuts DEEP SHOCK, yet another nature-amok opus (David Keith and an oil-drilling team vs. a giant eel in the Arctic), on Saturday, August 9. As for the network’s premiere of BEYOND RE-ANIMATOR, it has (obviously) been delayed from a June airing to sometime in October.

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=1206

SaviniFan
06-28-2003, 03:47 PM
Great news! Hopefully we won't have to wait much for DVD releases of the new Godzilla films. In the meantime, I'm really enjoying my new ADV Gamera movies! :banana:

Zodiac-Mindwarp
06-28-2003, 05:18 PM
I am with you SaviniFan. I can not wait for a DVD release of the new Godzilla movies!

This is great news KR~! I might have to get cable again after all! :lol:

rxfiend
06-29-2003, 08:29 PM
i wonder if SCI-FI will show these in letterbox or pan & scan. oh well, doesn't bother me as i have the R3 dvds. :D i do hope for a R1 release though, as it'd be nice to have anamorphic transfers (and hopefully a few extras, but i'm not holding my breath on that).

Mortado
07-01-2003, 06:10 AM
I am of the opinion that a US DVD release would suck as they would undoubtedly (like the G-films from the 90s) be dubbed in English without the option of the original Japanese language version. The region 3 DVDs are cheap and actually pretty good transfers.

What I really want to see now is "Godzilla X Mechagodzilla", I am going to wait for the R3 version because the Japanese ones are just too damned spendy for me.

rxfiend
07-13-2003, 10:44 PM
from http://www.henshinonline.com/:

IT'S OFFICIAL! SONY ACQUIRES GxM AND GMK
US studio to release films in North America
Author: Keith Aiken
Source: Sony Pictures Ent, American Cinematheque Henshin! Online

The latest versions of Godzilla are stomping their way to America!
For some time, Godzilla fans have hoped that a US company would purchase the most recent movies in the long-running series. Recent news that GODZILLA·MOTHRA·KING GHIDORAH (aka GMK) and GODZILLA VS. MEGAGUIRUS (GxM) will be shown at festivals and on television have made it clear that this has finally happened. Now Sony Pictures Entertainment makes it official; the company has indeed picked up the two films for distribution in the United States and Canada.

GMK was first screened for Sony executives in February, 2002, and negotiations with Toho for both it and GxM began later that year. After lengthy discussions, an agreement was reached several weeks ago that gives Sony North American rights to the films. Early details from the studio are very promising; Sony has moved quickly with plans for theatrical, television, and video releases in both English and Japanese.

First up are screenings of the two movies at the American Cinematheque's Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, CA this August. While the films have played at industry events (such as the American Film Marketplace)and conventions, Sony considers this the US theatrical premiere for both GxM and GMK as the general public and the media will be allowed to attend. In the coming weeks further details will be available on the Egyptian Theatre website and the 24 hour information line at (323) 466-FILM, but the American Cinematheque has graciously provided H!O some advance information:
Sunday, August 10 - 5:00 PM
U.S. Premiere: GODZILLA VS. MEGAGUIRUS
2000, Sony Pictures, 105 min. Dir. Masaaki Tezuka.
Jam-packed with bug-crushing, city-stomping, radioactive monster action, GODZILLA VS. MEGAGUIRAS is set in an alternate universe where the capitol of Japan has been moved to Osaka and the country has converted to clean energy because the Big G keeps devouring nuclear power plants. When Godzilla rears his ugly head again, a team of scientists invent a device that shoots Black Holes (!) to destroy him - but not before an enormous mutant insect named "Megaguiras" shows up to do battle with our favorite monster.

Friday, August 22 - 7:00 PM
U.S. Premiere: GODZILLA, MOTHRA & KING GHIDORAH: GIANT MONSTERS ALL-OUT ATTACK
2001, Sony Pictures, 105 min.
Already acclaimed by fans as the most exciting Godzilla film since the heyday of the 1960's, GMK features a terrific, redesigned Big G (hint: he's leaner, meaner and packs a nasty bite), bent on destroying Japan as vengeance for the restless souls of WWII victims. Standing in his way are the Guardian Deities - i.e. Mothra, King Ghidorah and Baragon. Director Shusuke Kaneko helmed the astounding trio of GAMERA films for Daiei in the mid-1990's - here, he's practically reinvented the Godzilla series for the 21st century.

Both movies will be the original Japanese language versions with English subtitles. In conjunction with the screenings, the Egyptian is planning either a Q&A session or an overview of the recent Godzilla films. Tickets are $9.00 general, $8.00 students/seniors, and $6.00 for members of the American Cinematheque.

Other theatrical screenings are coming, including the Canadian festival FanTasia which runs from July 17 to August 10. GODZILLA VS. MEGAGUIRUS is planned for July 22 and 23 with GODZILLA·MOTHRA·KING GHIDORAH on July 26 and 27. This will be the first time either movie is shown on the big screen in Canada. As an added bonus, GMK director Shusuke Kaneko will be in attendance.

After the theatrical showings, GODZILLA VS. MEGAGUIRUS and GODZILLA·MOTHRA·KING GHIDORAH will air on US television for the first time on Sunday, August 31. The SciFi Channel will show GxM at 3pm, followed by GMK at 5pm. Sony has given SciFi the English language versions dubbed by Toho for international markets. More information will be available soon on the SciFi website.

Sony has further plans for both movies, including a possible limited theatrical release for GMK. Pioneer recently completed a limited run for the Toho fantasy film ONMYOJI and ADV plans a similar release for THE PRINCESS BLADE starting in August. While there have been discussions, Sony has yet to make a final decision regarding the Godzilla film. In the meantime both GMK and GxM will be available for festival and theatrical bookings throughout North America.

Tentative plans for the DVDs call for widescreen releases with both English and Japanese audio tracks. No release dates have been announced, as the schedule depends on Sony's theatrical decision on GMK. Henshin!Online will report further details as they become available.

Nilbog
07-15-2003, 11:17 PM
Incredible!Hopefully the Sci-Fi Network shows it widescreen.

rxfiend
08-27-2003, 09:04 AM
just a reminder folks. this sunday! also, during the late night hours, SciFi will be showing Letterbox versions of Vs Megalon and Vs Mechagodzilla (showa). so set your vcrs or dvd recorders!!

SaviniFan
08-28-2003, 01:58 PM
Bump.....so I and you other Godzilla freaks don't forget! :banana:

SaviniFan
08-31-2003, 04:50 PM
Bump once more. Godzilla on Sci-Fi today! You can bet I'm taping these until a region 1 DVD release.

rxfiend
09-01-2003, 02:25 AM
yikes, those english dubs were horrible!! i guess since i've gotten used to watching these films with their original language, it just felt painful hearring the dub. also, P&S video really sucks! there are some great wide shots in both these films that just got lost.

KR~!
09-01-2003, 03:27 AM
Hey, you get what you pay for;)

SaviniFan
09-01-2003, 03:33 AM
I missed the first movie (although I taped it for a future viewing), but I gotta admit that I was underwhelmed with GodzillaXMothraXGhidorah. The CGI I think hurt the film more than helped it.

I love Godzilla and all, but the last 3 Gameras just seem to kick more ass than the new Godzillas. Perhaps I'll like Godzilla VS Megaguirus a bit more than GMK when I get around to watching it. And yes, those English dubs were terrible.

KR~!
09-01-2003, 08:25 AM
I saw this posted at a Godzilla forum :

I normally don't editorialize here but between Toho's terrible English dubbing and Sci-Fi Channel's atrocious editing, could Godzilla X Megauirus and Godzilla-Mothra-King Ghidorah get much more disrespect? And specifically GMK, what the heck were they thinking? One of the BEST Godzilla films in years was mutilated. Some of the most significant scenes were cut out entirely (the mushroom cloud scene and the hospital scene) along with mangled and changed dialogue. Not to mention both should have been shown letterboxed. Honestly, for those who saw these the first time I would reccommend picking up the originals, uncut and English subtitled from EBAY or at least when they are released on U.S. DVD so you can see them the way they were meant to be seen.

rxfiend
09-01-2003, 08:34 AM
i agree with that person 100%.

Azathoth
09-02-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by rxfiend
i agree with that person 100%.

Hell, the 'shroom cloud and the hospital bit were the 2 most powerful scenes in the movie IMO.

But hey, did anyone not see this coming? I know it's shocking, what with the spectactular R1 DVD releases and whatnot.