PDA

View Full Version : AB Problem? AB vs Italian Shock New York Ripper

napalm68
06-02-2001, 12:42 PM
Just looking at the latest news on Sex Gore Mutants (http://www.sexgoremutants.co.uk/), and noticed they had a comparison between the Anchor Bay and Italian Shock
New York Ripper (http://www.sexgoremutants.f9.co.uk/fulci.html).

Well, cropping on the image on the AB one is enough to give me concerns about what sort of cropping have they been doing on other films. Picture wise, the detail in the Italian Shock version looks better as well.

They didn't do such a good job on matching the exact frames for comparison, but I have checked my AB version, and the AB version is indeed cropped around on all sides.

What the hell is up with this? And how many other AB titles have been cropped like this?

Rene
06-02-2001, 02:40 PM
Well, I have already mentioned the cropping-problem with ABīs "The Beyond" in an earlier post, like I said the disc is generally great but the picture just isnīt complete at top and bottom. I put a comparison pic online <a href="http://www.geocities.com/dvdrenato/">here</a>, but maybe you shouldnīt look. Iīm just checking ABīs "House By The Cemetery" and it seems to be not cropped, I compare it with my RC2 disc later.

napalm68
06-02-2001, 10:14 PM
The cropping you can see on the video to the DVD is just matting (blanking out the top and bottom of the pic to make it look like widescreen. Nearly everyone on the planet except John Carpenter (who shoots in anamorphic) does it... The cropping was not on the sides, as shown in the New York Ripper comparisons.

I was thinking last night, maybe it was to do with them previously using anamorphic optically squeezed 4-sprocket negative, rather than the original 2 sprocket camera negative - maybe they were blown up too much on the 4 sprocket negatives.

Geez, I hope Suspiria is OK...

Rene
06-03-2001, 12:25 AM
The video pic shows the more complete picture, letīs imagine the movie was filmed in 2.20:1 then or so, it looks good as it is with the car and the house "uncovered". If it was shown that way all the years and then somebody comes and covers parts of the picture just to say "hey cool, now itīs 2.35:1" then that`s not so nice. I personally want the complete and original picture and no "fake" widescreen, because seeing less than before is no improvement (it looks wider but actually shows less, what a bad deal). Looking at my example caps it looks stupid with parts of the house and car missing, that canīt be how the director/photographer wanted it to show. Luckily "House By The Cemetery" and "Manhattan Baby" didnīt become victims of the croppingmania-massacre ;)

napalm68
06-03-2001, 06:16 AM
This isn't some matting cropping issue - no one deliberately want's to cut picture from the sides to make it narrower...

Rene
06-03-2001, 07:12 PM
I donīt care how itīs called, cropping or matting or xyz, I want a complete movie and am not really happy if anything is "missing". Whatīs about the EC, Diamond and Vipco DVDs in this "cropped or not?" matter? ;)

The Chaostar
06-05-2001, 04:42 PM
Italian Shock's RIPPER is WAY better than Anchor Bay's version. It is not anamorphic, I agree (I.S. you should fix this!) but even when zoomed the picture is STILL better. And it has the whole soundtrack as an extra + both english and german trailers and some interesting notes from the guy who interviewd Lenzi on the Nightmare City disc.

Jason25
06-06-2001, 07:09 AM
I definitely need to pick up the IS disc. Anyone know where to find the IS disc cheap? Thanks.