View Full Version : The Eye (Merged)

dvdasia62
07-05-2002, 05:59 AM
This film from our friends in Asia certainly sounds interesting:

DVDetails: THE EYE [DVD FORMAT ONLY]
DVDetails: THIS DVD IS PLAYABLE IN ALL REGIONS ON NTSC EQUIPMENT

USD$17.95

LIST: $24.99
YOU SAVE 28%! Availability: 1-2 Days - Usually ships within 1-2 business days.
Film Director(s): Danny Pang, Oxide Pang
Film Producer(s): Peter Ho-Sun Chan
Released: 2002 [Hong Kong]
Genre: Thriller
Sub-Genre: Horror
Keywords: Blindness, Hospital, Mystery, Thailand

Plot: At the age of two Mann went blind. Eighteen years later, a new and risky corneal transplant operation restores her vision; but a series of inexplicable events lead her to believe there is more than meets the eye to her new-found gift of sight...

Overview: At the age of two Mann went blind. Eighteen years later, a new and risky corneal transplant operation restores her vision; but a series of inexplicable events lead her to believe there is more than meets the eye to her new-found gift of sight. Mysterious black-clad figures seem to foreshadow sudden deaths, and horribly disfigured denizens haunt her everyday existence. Unable to define her own identity, she comes to understand that whenever she looks into a mirror she doesn't see herself but instead she sees another woman; Ling, the original owner of the corneas.
These nightmarish visions are driving Mann insane. Desperate to uncover the truth, Mann visits Ling's old village in Northern Thailand. There she discovers that Ling was clairvoyant, but Ling's inability to save the villagers from a fire that she predicted sent her into a deep depression. Overcome with sorrow and regret, she ultimately committed suicide. Now it seems that Mann has inherited Ling's fate and the misery that comes with the ability to see more than one wants to see.

Just as she is about to leave Thailand, the black-clad harbingers of death return, only this time there are hundreds of them. Tragedy is about to strike again and only Mann can stop it. Is her fate predetermined or does she have the courage and the strength to change the future?

Cast: Angelica Lee (Sin Je), Lawrence Chow, So Yut Lai, Candy Lo Hau-Yam, Ko Yin Ping, Edmond Chen, Ben Yuen, Winson Yip, Chutcha Rujihanon, Pierre Png, Wang Sue Yuen

Running Time: 98 mins.
Language(s): Cantonese, Mandarin
Subtitles: ENGLISH, Chinese
Distributor: Panorama Entertainment [A Hong Kong-Based Distributor]

Rating: UN - "Unrated. This film has not been rated by the review board."

Features: Letterboxed; DTS Digital Surround

I think I'm intrigued enough to order this one! :)

dlundh
07-08-2002, 10:07 AM
Moderator's note; dlundh, please review the Forum Rules (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=15790). First rule of **********.*** is we do NOT talk about **********.***. Thank you. :)

Hyde

The rest of dlundh's original post...
I ordered mine from dddhouse just so I wouldn't miss out on any good stuff. :)

DVD Connoisseur
07-19-2002, 08:53 PM
From ScreenDaily.Com......

Danny and Oxide Pang's chiller The Eye could be the next Asian picture lined up for Hollywood remake treatment.

Under a deal brokered by Roy Lee of Vertigo Entertainment, remake rights are to be acquired by Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner's Cruise/Wagner company with a view to the film being made at a studio. Cruise/Wagner has an ongoing relationship with Paramount Pictures, but no deal has yet been signed with Paramount or any other studio.

The film co-produced by Hong Kong's Applause Pictures and Singapore's Raintree Pictures and sold by Fortissimo Film Sales is a psychological horror picture about a woman who sight is restored by an operation. Following the surgery she starts to see more than she should.

Lee, whose track record includes half a dozen remakes of Asian films, is also warming up Korean action-drama No Blood No Tears, sold internationally by Cinema Service. Lee has commissioned a writer and the film will be pitched to studios on completion of a re-tuned screenplay.

Vertigo, which has a first-look deal with Miramax, has set up remakes of Korean films My Wife Is A Gangster at Miramax, My Sassy Girl at Dreamworks and Il Mare at Warner Bros.

"My objective is only remake films with a wide commercial potential, those capable of being handled through the studio system," said Lee. Speaking at the Puchon International Festival of Fantastic Film (PiFan), he deflected criticism of the remake process and said: "The people I deal with here in Asia are happy to see their ideas reach a wider audience."

KillerCannabis
07-20-2002, 08:33 AM
Great, Hollywood sets off to ruin yet another good film. Could someone PUH-LEEZ come up with an original idea? Really, is that too much to ask?

dvdasia62
07-20-2002, 03:03 PM
I agree with you Killer all the way! What surprises me though when I cruise other forums is just how many people don't have a problem with remakes or hollywood's lack of originality at all!

Reverenddave
07-23-2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by dvdasia62
What surprises me though when I cruise other forums is just how many people don't have a problem with remakes or hollywood's lack of originality at all!

I think it's great that Hollywood is remaking Asian horror films like "Ring" and "The Eye". Here's why:

Reason #1 - It will help raise awareness of how good Asian horror films have been in recent years. When "Vanilla Sky" was being promoted in the US, I decided to check out the original movie "Open Your Eyes". I enjoyed it so much that I tried other Spanish genre films like "Thesis" and "The Nameless". Since then I've bought over a dozen Spanish films on DVD, and I'm constantly looking for more. Every single review of the Hollywood version of "Ring" will mention that it's a remake of the Japanese film. Hopefully, people will be curious enough to view the original trilogy and continue on to other Asian horror movies.

Reason #2 - It will bring alot of money to the Asian studios. This should encourage them to produce additional intelligent horror movies and put more money into them. It may also help Asian genre films get US distribution deals, resulting in even more money.

So in my opinion, this is a good thing.

rxfiend
07-23-2002, 01:38 PM
why remake the films? why not just bring the originals over to the US and show them instead.

Reverenddave
07-23-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by rxfiend
why remake the films? why not just bring the originals over to the US and show them instead.

Probably because mainstream theaters won't play them and audiences won't go to see them.

According to IMDB:

Open Your Eyes made $368,234 in the USA.
Vanilla Sky made over $100 Million in the USA.

The Chaostar
08-16-2002, 03:20 AM
So many people speak about that film.
What's it all about (if you can be so kind)?

dvdasia62
08-16-2002, 03:34 AM
A young Woman who has been blind since age 2, undergoes a cornea transplant which will allow her to regain her sight but she gets more then she bargained for! He,He,He,He! GET THIS FILM!!! :)

The Chaostar
08-16-2002, 12:45 PM
ok.

KillerCannabis
09-11-2002, 07:40 PM
I just read at the Creature Corner that the rights to the Pang brothers "The Eye" have been sold to Tom Cruise's production company. I sure hope they find a director to do it right since most remakes here in the US turn out to amount to shit.

2D4EVER
09-11-2002, 10:09 PM
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! Another fucking remake. God damn Hollywood motherfuckers. This is really starting to piss me the fuck off now.

Later all...

dvdasia62
09-11-2002, 11:35 PM
I don't know what to think with all these remakes but this one has pretty much been known and out there for a few months now.

DVD Connoisseur
09-12-2002, 12:40 AM
Here's a link to my original thread (which you replied to, KC!:p )....

http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6894

Zombie Keeper
09-12-2002, 07:23 PM
This is sooooo sad. No way they will top the original!

LJMurder
09-12-2002, 10:06 PM
it's true, almost all the american remakes of any movie suck a lot. still waiting to see the original of insomnia though.

KillerCannabis
09-13-2002, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by DVD Connoisseur
Here's a link to my original thread (which you replied to, KC!:p )....

http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6894

Shit, if anyone ever needed proof of how big a stoner I really am, here it is. Thanks for reminding me DVDCon, I need a wake up every now and then.

Reverenddave
01-23-2003, 04:55 AM
I just got the latest issue of Video Store Magazine (Jan. 19-25, 2003), and there's some news on upcoming releases from Lions Gate Home Entertainment.

SEX AND LUCIA - Erotic film from Spain (March 25)
THE BELIEVER - About a young Jewish man who becomes an anti-Semite (April 22)
FULL TIME KILLER - Hong Kong action film
THE LAST MINUTE - Directed by BLADE's Stephen Norrington
THE EYE - Supernatural Thriller from Hong Kong
THE SEA
CREMASTER 3

Wermode
01-23-2003, 05:47 AM
That's great news. Any details?

Wermode
01-23-2003, 05:48 AM
...about The Eye, I mean.

skinnypuppy
01-24-2003, 05:01 PM
The eye is such a cheesy movie. I just saw a special presentation of this that rue morgue held and it seriously was very cheesy. why is this movie so popular??? it has like 3 scary parts and that is it. and the ending.....CG fire is not cool...hahaha:lol:

dvdasia62
01-25-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by skinnypuppy
The eye is such a cheesy movie. I just saw a special presentation of this that rue morgue held and it seriously was very cheesy. why is this movie so popular??? it has like 3 scary parts and that is it. and the ending.....CG fire is not cool...hahaha:lol:

Whatever!

aoiookami
01-25-2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by dvdasia62
Whatever!

I second that, I love this movie. Already have the R0 tho, so I probably wont get the new one

mcchrist
01-25-2003, 10:23 AM
I dunno, I'm not very excited to see this yet. This will probably be one of those that I put off for years and finally wonder why.

Ash28M
01-30-2003, 01:08 AM
THE EYE is simply one of the best horror's to come out in a long time. There is nothing cheesy about it.

nofxafi
01-30-2003, 06:29 AM
Great flik!! And since someone mentioned the cgi fire, one of the coolest shots in any movie of recent memory is when the camera follows the fire/explosion thru the rat hole.

Man, this movie really had some creepy scenes......

Peter Vincent
01-30-2003, 06:03 PM
Put me down for "loving this movie" as well.

The Region 0 DVD has a kick-ass DTS track and a good transfer and I paid something like $15! I don't see a need to re-purchase this title.

KillerCannabis
01-31-2003, 05:16 AM
Sweet. Glad to see that its getting a R1 release, although who wants to bet it gets lame cover art just like the R1 edition of Ringu.

DeathDealer
01-31-2003, 05:35 AM
You guy's are just going over the top with Ringu.

mcchrist
01-31-2003, 09:51 AM
You guy's are just going over the top with Rungu.

What's Rungu?

:banana:

Ringu was cool and all, but wasn't as great as everyone hyped it up to be. The Ring on the other hand got me all hot and bothered, what a great fucking horror flick that was!

Shannafey
01-31-2003, 03:12 PM
I hope that when I finally get to see this, I won't be disapointed. It seems so overhyped!! I am glad it will get an American release, that way I can rent it. Yumyumanime has an HK dvd, but I don't want to blow the funds on films I haven't seen anymore!!

newyorkripper
04-01-2003, 03:43 AM
Just saw the Pang Brothers' "The Eye" and was really impressed. Very stylish and creepy, it has a great story and some excellent acting, especially from the lead. I especially found the schoolboy looking for his report card particularly disturbing. I know that they are planning a US remake but I can't see them topping this. Has anyone else seen it?

KillerCannabis
04-01-2003, 07:00 AM
I too loved The Eye. I managed to score a copy of the R0 PAL edition. Great film. I dont know how the US remake will stack up against it, but at least the original is getting a DVD release here too.

MaxRenn
04-01-2003, 02:03 PM
Very good - one of the best recent horror films. It has two or three very scary sequences, a sympathetic lead and a moving climax.

aoiookami
04-01-2003, 06:28 PM
I simply love this movie, the elevator scene alone is one of my creepiest and favorite horror scenes ever:nervous:

DVD Connoisseur
04-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Guys, I'm merging threads as this is a very popular and much discussed film.....

MaxRenn
04-03-2003, 12:14 AM
Just to address the topic of remakes - reverenddave nailed it with his figures on Vanilla Sky/Open Your Eyes:

Open Your Eyes made $368,234 in the USA.
Vanilla Sky made over $100 Million in the USA.

Hollywood only wants to make money and any foreign movie has very little chance of hitting the jackpot. Most people will simply not watch them and most cinemas won't book them.

Remakes of foreign films certainly show a lack of faith in new ideas but they are not all bad: the "Insomnia" remake was the equal of the original. What I hate is how a remake gets a lot of credit that is completely undeserved. "Vanilla Sky" is a perfect example. Here we have a movie directed by one of Hollywood's "top" directors, starring its top male star and what do we get? An almost scene-for-scene remake that adds almost nothing to the original. The movie is not bad and made a fortune but Crowe and Cruise do not deserve any credit because they lifted everything in their film from Amenabar's original. Instead they demonstrated a woeful lack of imagination.

And don't even get me started on "Swept Away"!:cry:

SaviniFan
04-09-2003, 05:27 AM
I just finished watching The Eye. All I have to say is wow. I'm thoroughly impressed by this movie. The story is strangley sympathetic, yet creepy at the same time. I'm curious to see the American remake, but I cannot imagine what it could possibly bring to the table that could improve this in any way. I'm not calling this a perfect film, but it gets my vote as one of the better Asian horror films in the last couple of years. And I gotta agree with aoiookami, that elevator scene is quite frightening.

Deaddevilman
04-18-2003, 03:08 AM
You guys are going to love this. Yahoo Japan's lead news story today was that the Japanese production company that is releasing THE EYE in Japan has discovered two real ghosts in the film. One is a baby and the other and eldery woman. They did not state what scences they were able to locate these vile creatures in.

There was a similar story years ago with Poltergiest. A supposed ghost was in a shower during one scence. I saw some special on it in Japan and I have to say it was creepy. I'll try to find out what scenes these ghosts are in and update this posting when I do.

The Japanese love shit like this so expect a good box office.

slinker
04-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Cool, i love stuff like this ....keep us posted man! ;)

DVD Connoisseur
04-18-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Deaddevilman
You guys are going to love this. Yahoo Japan's lead news story today was that the Japanese production company that is releasing THE EYE in Japan has discovered two real ghosts in the film. One is a baby and the other and eldery woman. They did not state what scences they were able to locate these vile creatures in.

My cynical side still has flashbacks to the supposed ghost in Three Men and a Baby. Turned out to be a cardboard standee of Ted Danson........

Wermode
04-21-2003, 03:00 AM
A discovery of "real ghosts" would indeed be something to celebrate, worth a cool $1 million from www.randi.com. ;-)

So far every time a ghost has been "seen" on film, it has been just as easily been explained as a visual effect or artifact. No one has ever been able to prove the existence of ghosts. A little critical thinking goes a long way here, especially in light of studio publicity stunts and the potential draw of a gullible public.

Wermode
04-21-2003, 03:01 AM
Sorry, that was http://www.randi.org

;)

Deaddevilman
04-21-2003, 07:16 AM
Ah yes, the infamous James Randi, born in Canada as Randall James Zwinge. This guy's motives are even more suspect then the CIA's.

Wermode
04-21-2003, 07:09 PM
Yeah, exposing frauds (like Geller) and protecting people from charlatans (like Popoff) is certainly suspect. But to get back to the original post before the superstitious bullshit came into the thread...

The Eye shows up as cheap from several Ebay sellers. Are these boots, and/or has anybody checked them out?

DVD Connoisseur
04-21-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Wermode
The Eye shows up as cheap from several Ebay sellers. Are these boots, and/or has anybody checked them out?

You're best ordering from somewhere like www.dddhouse.com - their titles are cheap as chips and all original....recommended.

MaxRenn
04-22-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Deaddevilman
Ah yes, the infamous James Randi, born in Canada as Randall James Zwinge. This guy's motives are even more suspect then the CIA's.

Please explain

suspiria
04-25-2003, 12:29 PM
best places are:

www.coolashop.com
www.dddhouse.com
www.pokerindustries.com
www.hkflix.com

in that order of preference...

blairmonster
05-09-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by MaxRenn
"Vanilla Sky" is a perfect example. Here we have a movie directed by one of Hollywood's "top" directors, starring its top male star and what do we get? An almost scene-for-scene remake that adds almost nothing to the original. The movie is not bad and made a fortune but Crowe and Cruise do not deserve any credit because they lifted everything in their film from Amenabar's original. Instead they demonstrated a woeful lack of imagination.

I actually preferred "Vanilla Sky" to "Open Your Eyes"...maybe that's just because I'm a huge Cameron Crowe fan. Agreed it was almost scene-for-scene identical...but for some reason I still liked it better. Anyone else second this?

slinker
05-10-2003, 08:17 AM
I do second that blairmonster, i enjoyed `Vanilla Sky` more than `Open Your Eyes` definately! ;)

The Chaostar
05-18-2003, 09:41 PM
Me 2!

suspiria
05-19-2003, 12:50 AM
i cant understand how one can prefer the remake.. honest.. the original doesn't attempt to answer most questions.. its vague and thats what works more so imho...

Jess_Franco_Jr
07-02-2003, 07:18 AM
Wow. I have just seen this film, and it's REALLY horrifying. It's a movie that got to scare the hell outta me, and that's only happened twice before (Ringu, and The Blair Witch Project). I saw it in the Special Edition DVD including DTS sound, and it was amazing. If you haven't seen this one, go and get it, you won't regret it.

apl
07-04-2003, 12:37 AM
I really didn't enjoy The Eye. Without spoiling it...the first quarter was pretty scary, but it quickly became uniteresting. They really pushed the "solve the mystery" edge that just wasn't necessary...there was nothing to solve! It also suffered from too many endings. I rarely find myself checking my watch at the movies, but I was ready to go home half way through this one. Recommened only for asian horror freaks. Thanks, apl

ScarredGod
07-18-2003, 06:34 AM
i just saw The Eye today at a screening in Pittsburgh. i thought it was great. some really creepy scenes and nice use of music.

but im curious, when you watch these asian horror films now, whether you already know a remake is coming or just assume one is, are you constantly thinking about what the US version will change, or pull back on? for example, i doubt there will be a schoolbus of kids stuck in the traffic at the end. the report card kid may even be pushing it. tom cruise producing a film with children frying, ill believe it when i see it, maybe the lead character will hop in the bus and drive it to safety, perhaps sandra bullock will star.

marioscido
07-23-2003, 08:04 AM
I have just returned from a sold-out screening of "The Eye" at the Fantasia Festival and I was hugely disappointed. The film is not scary, it has a very predictable script (with many holes), and clumsy direction (someone earlier called it cheesy...).

The film has no substance whatsoever! Stay home and watch "Mad Love" (1935) or "The Hands of Orlac" (1960) instead. Focusing on hands instead of eyes, the premise that someone else's body parts make you do (or see) things is much more compelling in these earlier films.

I really don't see why this film is so popular. I think it's because there is an Asian horror mania that is blurring people's critical sensibilities.

Erg0n
07-24-2003, 05:12 AM
I caught the screening as well and actually enjoyed it. Although, it was hard to ignore the relation it had with sixth sense.

I didn't expect it would be sold out

Hellbilly
11-10-2003, 07:01 PM
I heard that the Lions Gate DVD is missing the original opening of THE EYE?

Can somebody confirm this or fill me in what's missing?

thrashard76
11-13-2003, 02:12 AM
I second that Hellbilly, does anyone know about the missing openning? Also, did anyone find the "ghost scenes"?

Agent Z
11-14-2003, 09:54 AM
I heard that the Lions Gate DVD is missing the original opening of THE EYE?

Can somebody confirm this or fill me in what's missing?

Hmmmm.....I haven't seen the Lions Gate version, but of the two versions that I have seen open with Mun doing her daily commute on foot, working her way through the crowds, while we hear her narration set up the storyline to follow:

"Some people say, this world is ugly.........yet, it is beautiful at the same time. I don't know if they are right.............but........I'm about to see the world with fresh eyes..."

Then we cut to a low shot of Mun's arm coming up to the screen and as it does, the screen goes to white and we see the impression of Mun's fingers brushing across across the back of the white background and the braille-to letter title/credit sequence starts.......

Hellbilly
11-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Thanks M.Co ;)
Now, all we need is somebody who's seen the Lions Gate version ...

Agent Z
11-14-2003, 12:15 PM
Thanks M.Co ;)
Now, all we need is somebody who's seen the Lions Gate version ...

:lol: :lol:

Well, damn......there I go assuming again.............

Ok......anybody with the Lions Gate version? Anybody?

Andrew
11-14-2003, 08:43 PM
As far as I remember that's how it starts, with her walking and setting up narration. Honestly couldn't say about the transition to the credits, but I'm guessing it's the same too.

Hoodoo Operator
11-15-2003, 07:00 PM

I bought my copy of The Eye from Ebay and it looks great and plays fine with the exception of some slight stuttering of the subtitles a couple of times. I have used zeroshines and goodwillco (2 ebay sellers) and both were very reliable. It's best if you order multiple movies so you get a deal on the shipping but between the two sellers I was able to order 5 movies (Ichi the Killer, Happiness of Katakuris, Heroic Trio, The Eye, Flirtong Scholar) for a little less than $50 and that includes shipping. DDDhouse has good deals but it seems they rarely have what I want. I just ordered Tricky Brains and Uzumaki from www.sensasian.com and after shipping it was $19 (though I will have to wait 7-21 working days for it to get to the US from Hong Kong).

As far as The Eye, I seem to be one of the only people here who didn't love it or hate it. I thought it was very well made and the lead actress was VERY good (every time I see or hear the phrase "very good" I now hear it in Sonny Chiba's voice from Kill Bill). I just thought it dragged a little too much in places. Three spooky scenes (the elevator and the woman wanting her seat back were my faves) isnt quite enough for a horror movie for me. As far as the CGI fire - I'm not a fan of it but how else could they have done that scene? I thought it worked pretty well.

Hoodoo Operator (brand new to this here board by the way)

Hellbilly
11-15-2003, 07:06 PM
I think I will get the Lions Gate disc after all.

and Welcome to horrordvds Hoodoo Operator!

onebyone
11-17-2003, 04:12 PM
OK, just saw this and had to come chime in with love and adoration for this movie. It scared me A LOT, like I was afraid to move scared. That very rarely happens, the last time was The Vanishing ages ago. It was well done, the acting was good, the script was taut, and it scared the fuck out of me. What more could I ask for?

And don't get me started on that elevator. My goodness, THAT was horror, at least to me.

I watched a friend's Asian version so I don't know about the Lion's Gate dvd, although it is in the mail with Naked Lunch and should be here any day now. If you don't have an answer by then, I will let you know. I am going to be pissed as hell if it is cut.

Hoodoo Operator
11-17-2003, 07:24 PM
I second that Hellbilly, does anyone know about the missing openning? Also, did anyone find the "ghost scenes"?

I think I may have found one. There's a scene where she's sitting on a bus - with her back to the window and for a SPLIT second (only a couple of us saw it) there was an image of a slightly gory dead old lady. I'm guessing this was one of the "ghosts" being discussed.

I thought The Eye was well made and well acted but can someone explain what they thought was SOOO scary. The only time I was scared at all was from the ghost who wanted her seat back, and then I was still barely scared.

Hoodoo Operator

onebyone
11-20-2003, 04:03 PM
The opening sequence from Lion's Gate is definitely different than the one I saw on the Asian dvd. That displeases me a great deal, as one of my favorite shots was hence cut out. Since I am in Japan with easy access to other versions of the movie, now I feel like a real jack ass. They really should have mentionned this to folks buying the damn thing.

I guess I can but serve as a horrible example to others.

Hellbilly
11-20-2003, 05:51 PM
Damn, that sucks. Thanks for the heads up onebyone.

Agent Z
11-20-2003, 08:42 PM
The opening sequence from Lion's Gate is definitely different than the one I saw on the Asian dvd. That displeases me a great deal, as one of my favorite shots was hence cut out. Since I am in Japan with easy access to other versions of the movie, now I feel like a real jack ass. They really should have mentionned this to folks buying the damn thing.

I guess I can but serve as a horrible example to others.

How does the Lions Gate version differ exactly? Are there different pre-title scenes....or is it just edited down?

onebyone
11-21-2003, 12:21 AM
My Lion's Gate dvd ran almost a minute shorter than the Asian dvd did. The part that was missing that pissed me off was the part of the opening credits where it looks like the film breaks down and you see the head. That is nowhere on my Lion's Gate dvd.

thrashard76
11-21-2003, 02:17 AM
Ah, thanks for the tip onebyone. ;) I think I'll wait a bit on this one.

Agent Z
11-21-2003, 06:16 AM
My Lion's Gate dvd ran almost a minute shorter than the Asian dvd did. The part that was missing that pissed me off was the part of the opening credits where it looks like the film breaks down and you see the head. That is nowhere on my Lion's Gate dvd.

Crap! I guess my Hong Kong version is missing the complete opening as well! :cry:

I guess I will double-dip and get the Japanese R2 version.......

Thanks onebyone......... :)

onebyone
11-21-2003, 06:27 AM
Crap! I guess my Hong Kong version is missing the complete opening as well! :cry:

I guess I will double-dip and get the Japanese R2 version.......

Thanks onebyone......... :)

Yours doesn't have that either? Whoa. I better double check with my friend, of whose disc I watched, to be very sure which one to get, although it is safe to assume it is the Japanese version, being in Japan and all. He said that is the version he saw in the cinema here too. I wonder which version showed in its limited US release and why they would think to take that out.

etale
11-21-2003, 08:08 PM
I think it's great that Hollywood is remaking Asian horror films like "Ring" and "The Eye". Here's why:

Reason #1 - It will help raise awareness of how good Asian horror films have been in recent years. When "Vanilla Sky" was being promoted in the US, I decided to check out the original movie "Open Your Eyes". I enjoyed it so much that I tried other Spanish genre films like "Thesis" and "The Nameless". Since then I've bought over a dozen Spanish films on DVD, and I'm constantly looking for more. Every single review of the Hollywood version of "Ring" will mention that it's a remake of the Japanese film. Hopefully, people will be curious enough to view the original trilogy and continue on to other Asian horror movies.

Reason #2 - It will bring alot of money to the Asian studios. This should encourage them to produce additional intelligent horror movies and put more money into them. It may also help Asian genre films get US distribution deals, resulting in even more money.

So in my opinion, this is a good thing.

I agree.
I saw the US version of THE RING before seeing the Japanese version.
I felt both were well-done for their own cultures.