PDA

View Full Version : Which Argento titles are in your dvd collection ?

Jason25
12-29-2000, 02:26 AM
I'm curious to hear which Argento dvd's you own. I have to look over my collection again, but I have all of the region 1 Argento titles that have been released, I just need to count them.

Dave
12-29-2000, 02:57 AM
Tenebre - Sazuma version
The Stendhal Syndrome
Suspiria (Image LD)
Deep Red
Inferno

That's all I have...

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

Paff
12-29-2000, 03:04 AM
On Laserdisc:
Dario Argento's World of Horror (Soavi documentary on gold Synapse disc)
Dario Argento - Master of Horror (Cozzi documentary, Japanese disc)
Bird With the Crystal Plumage (Roan)
Suspiria (Image)
Tenebrae
Phenomena
Two Evil Eyes
Trauma

On DVD
Deep Red
Inferno
The Stendhal Syndrome
Phantom of the Opera

Santawhore
12-29-2000, 03:22 AM
Tenebre, Inferno, Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Phenomena,Deep Red, and Stendahl Syndrome

Mark Relford
12-29-2000, 04:03 AM
Um, Phenomena and Argento's World of Horror.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

mutleyhyde
12-29-2000, 07:11 AM
Got Deep Red for X-mas. Just watched it and I think it's great. It's by far the best structured (plot, editing, pacing, etc.) film of Argento's that I've watched, IMHO. Now I've GOT to find that soundtrack!!
Other than that I have...
Bird With the Crystal Plumage (Another great soundtrack, this time by Il Maestro Morricone)
Phenomena
Tenebre
All of these are great in their own way, but I want Suspiria NOW dammit!

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

DVD Connoisseur
12-29-2000, 02:28 PM
Suspiria - LD
On DVD: Phenomena, Inferno, Deep Red, Stendhal Syndrome
VHS crappy third generation copies from over a decade ago (when it was the only way to view Argento in the UK outside of horror festivals)...Opera and Tenebre. I'm very excited about the AB Opera release and also their re-release of Tenebre (both of which rank amongst my favourite horror movies).

AceRimRat
12-29-2000, 11:44 PM
Phenomena, Tenebre, Inferno, Deep Red on DVD.

Are they re-releasing Tenebre, DVDCon? As what, anamorphic? Or are you talking about the current disc as a re-release of something earlier? (I'm pretty new to this Argento thing...)

DVD Connoisseur
12-30-2000, 04:06 PM
AceRimRat, I read in the on-line discussion that Anchor Bay had recently that Tenebre was going to be re-released. It's going to be anamorphic and, I believe, better picture quality in general. I've not heard anything since, though, but I am saving my pennies for this one. I think Phenomena may also be re-released but don't quote me on that as I may be getting my wires crossed!

AceRimRat
01-01-2001, 07:28 PM
Hey, that sounds cool. As long as the good extras (like the commentaries) are still on Tenebre and/or Phenomena, I'd buy a new copy if the pic quality is markedly better.

Dave
01-01-2001, 07:36 PM
I was on Sazuma's site and noticed their version of 'Tenebre' is no longer listed. Have they lost the rights to it? Wonder if it'll be a collectible...I believe it has some stuff that isn't on Anchor Bay's DVD.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

Argento Fan 2003
01-03-2001, 12:49 AM
I was in the home theater forum chat and Anchor Bay said they were re-releasing some titles with a new anamorphic transfer and Tenebre MAY be one of the first they re-release. Hopefully they'll re-release Phenomena FULLY uncut, it's my favorite film. It would be even nicer if Anchor Bay re-released all of the previous Argento DVDs as Special Editions/LE Tins. Opera and Suspiria are already scheduled for the tin treatment, they should complete the collection.

Jason25
01-03-2001, 01:07 AM
I agree. I'd like to see both Argento and Fulci get tin treatment for all of their films.

ctyner
01-03-2001, 07:09 PM
Just "Phenomena". I've been meaning to get more, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I also have "Demons", but that doesn't really count. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
My DVD list (http://www.weirdal.org/me/html/dvd/list.php3) | bigwolfoncampus.org (http://www.bigwolfoncampus.org)

AceRimRat
01-03-2001, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Argento Fan 2003:
Hopefully they'll re-release Phenomena FULLY uncut, it's my favorite film.

What is missing from Phenomena? It was my first Argento purchase, but I honestly don't know much about it that can't be gleaned from the film...

DVD Connoisseur
01-03-2001, 09:54 PM
Dragon are releasing a special edition of Phenomena at the end of this month (although I trust nobody's arrival dates, thesedays). I believe it is going to be a 2 disc set. The company is stating it is "the full uncut Italian print version" which is making me think that the AB release isn't complete. If anyone can confirm any of the above, I'd appreciate it.

Paff
01-03-2001, 10:08 PM
The current release of Phenomena is missing a few minutes I believe. I think it's a conversation on the bus with Jennifer Connelly. The complete uncut version is available on Japanese laserdisc.

One thing to remember about the early Anchor Bay releases is, they're not really Anchor Bay releases! The Roan Group of North Carolina did a bunch of horror movies for laserdisc, then Anchor Bay did direct ports of those LDs for DVD. Among those Roan ports are:
Demons
Demons 2
Tenebrae
Phenomena
Alice Sweet Alice
Nosferatu
Zombie

They also redid some Elite LDs like
Day of the Dead
Dracula - Prince of Darkness

None of these DVDs are of the current Anchor Bay quality. I believe none of them are anamorphic, and on several the LDs either have more features or look better than the DVD.

So don't blame AB for incomplete versions of some of these movies, blame Cary Roan...

DVD Connoisseur
01-03-2001, 10:37 PM
If AB do a new version of Phenomena, I'll very probably purchase it. Phenomena is the only disc (apart from T-2) in my collection that I've had player incompatibility problems with (as per my very first post, many moons ago). The disc plays perfectly on my PC DVD but freezes on my Tosh. It's nothing too serious but I've been after an excuse to replace this disc for a while. I'm interested in the Dragon edition - I may purchase this for the extras alone!

Argento Fan 2003
01-03-2001, 11:12 PM
All of the Phenomena discs freeze during the layer change depending upon your player. Phenomena is fully uncut on the Japanese Integral Hard DVD and Laserdisc but they don't have english, they're expensive, and they're not region free. The AB print is missing 5 minutes but it's the italian version so I guess it can be considered uncut since it's the only 110 minute version in the US. If you have anymore details on the Dragon release please let me know.

DVD Connoisseur
01-03-2001, 11:42 PM
Argento Fan 2003, thanks for letting me know about the freezing being pretty common on this disc - last time I posted I thought I was the only man in the world experiencing this! Even Anchor Bay said it was just an incompatibility problem with my player! It just happens around the scene in the lecture hall and stutters/freezes again in the scene where a light is shining outside the window. Is this the layer change and why do I experience problems in 2 areas very close to one another (say, 10 seconds apart)? I'd previously dismissed it as a poorly coded disc.

I'll keep posting news on the Dragon Phenomena disc as I find out more. (I know that there will be an exclusive Argento interview on the disc but I haven't a clue what the rest of the package will comprise of.)

Argento Fan 2003
01-03-2001, 11:51 PM
Well mine did the exact same thing, it scrambled when the Headmistress was getting angry and it cut to the view outside the window. It also scrambled some more when Sophie was looking out the window at the flashing light. The part I was originally talking about is the layer change where it cuts to Donald Pleasence saying "Diabolic..." after Jennifer escapes from the boarding school.

Jason25
01-04-2001, 04:51 AM
I've also had problems with this disc on my Toshiba, it is rather annoying.

I would love to see AB release the uncut version as well as make it an SE.

Jason25
01-04-2001, 04:53 AM
This Dragon release sounds really sweet. If anyone gets any futher information regarding this release, I'd love to hear about it.

Jason25
01-04-2001, 05:26 AM
Some great collections. Glad to see we have quite a few Argento fans on here.