PDA

View Full Version : Question about LDs...

r_burgos2003
07-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Questions I need answered:

1) Did LD's have interactive menus or did it just go straight to the feature?

2) How is the picture and audio quality of LDs?

3) How much are LD players?

4) Were LDs easy to break?

John
07-09-2003, 11:20 PM
1) Straght to the feature

2) Both depend on the model you get. Higher end models can produce a picture quality that rivals a lot of DVD's. The Pioneer SE laser for Texas Chainsaw Massacre is supposed to have a better look than the DVD. I never got the SE laser, so I cannot say how true it is. Paff would certainly know about that comparison though. Sound is generally considered better on laserdiscs, but a direct comparison to current DVD's would be the best way to tell. There are also quitre a few titles on laser that have DTS tracks that aren't on DVD (Matrix, Halloween: H20).

3) Price depends on you. A decent player that has Dolby Digital and DTS, along with a higher end picture quality will set you back at least $200. Certainly do some homework before buying, and make sure te player flips sides for you. There is nothing more annoying than having to get up every hour or so (30 mins with CAV discs) to flip the laser.

4) I have never tried to break one, so I couldn't tell you. I have a fairly good collection and I have never even cracked one.

Hope this helops you a bit. I am sure more guys will give some input to expand on what I have stated.

Agent Z
07-09-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by John
The Pioneer SE laser for Texas Chainsaw Massacre is supposed to have a better look than the DVD.

Umm...I think you're referring to the Elite SE laserdisc set of THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.....which does indeed blow the Pioneer dvd away.....:)

Yowie
07-09-2003, 11:39 PM
LDs do have have chapters of course. Picture is not nearly as good as DVD, and there's quite a difference in quality depending on the company. Some of the best companies on LD were Universal, Paramount and MGM. FOX and Columbia weren't that good, at least not to begin with. I just watched two Annabella Sciorra movies, immense difference - "Whispers In The Dark" from Paramount looks fine, but "Hand That Rocks The Cradle" from Hollywood Pictures/B. Vista looked like VHS. Sometimes VHS will indeed look better than LD which can often be too soft. DVD easily wins in sharpness and general picture quality, but sound-wise LD is still king (IMHO) and blows DVD to bits. I have two TV-sets - neither with any fancy get-up sound-wise, one TV is mono, and the sound is always better on LD. -I'ts rounder and fuller, great bass. If one has no additional gear for DVD, the sound on the smaller disc can be thin, lifeless and quite appalling compared to LD which will sound great on even the crappiest TV. Pioneer players are my faves. You mean break like crush ? DVDs would be easier, LDs are much thicker. LDs can start to rot with time, especially if they're not stored correctly, I've had that problem.

r_burgos2003
07-09-2003, 11:47 PM
anyone own "THE CRUSH" on LD? If so, can you tell me what special features it has? Please get back to me.

Paff
07-10-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by r_burgos2003
anyone own "THE CRUSH" on LD? If so, can you tell me what special features it has? Please get back to me.

I'd have to research it further, but I'm 99% sure the LD of that movie has something the DVD doesn't. It's not an added feature or anything, I think it's different music in some scene. I don't think it's available in widescreen though, or with anything other than the movie itself.

r_burgos2003
07-10-2003, 01:00 AM
Could you research it more? It's my favorite!

John
07-10-2003, 02:53 AM
Umm...I think you're referring to the Elite SE laserdisc set of THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.....which does indeed blow the Pioneer dvd away.....

My bad! I was typing too fast to get a nap in!! :rolleyes:

laserdogg
07-12-2003, 06:40 PM
I have the LD of The Crush. It is widescreen with no other special features.

I believe the difference between the DVD and prior releases might have to do with name of the Darian (Alicia Silverstone) character. That name was dubbed to Adrian for legal reasons. The LD is the original untampered release.

r_burgos2003
07-12-2003, 07:20 PM
Really. I have the vhs version (2 copies). One of them is recent!! And they don't dubb it. I have the DVD as well. Yes, I know why they had to dubb it.....But damn, no special features huh? Do u have the soundtrack? I've been looking for that for years. It's not on ebay either....