PDA

View Full Version : Argento's Unfinished Trilogy

DVD Connoisseur
01-03-2001, 01:09 AM
I viewed Inferno again last night, having received the beautiful AB release for Christmas. The film was longer than I remembered so I guess I'd previously viewed a cut version. Anyway, the nature of this post is this: Inferno was a "sequel of sorts" to Suspiria - the films form the first 2 parts of the Three Mothers Trilogy. What do you think of the chances of Argento finishing the cycle? I think there's a slim chance. He's probably interested in re-exploring the supernatural world of the Three Mothers and there's certainly a large audience out there who would applaud such a film. It's been 20 years - we deserve a finale - Inferno kind of left things "to be continued...," don't you think?

Argento Fan 2003
01-03-2001, 01:44 AM
Argento said he didn't want to finish the trilogy. Besides, some dorky italian Argento wannabe tried to finish the trilogy himself with "The Black Cat." They even use the theme to Suspiria in the film. Don't bother watching it, I was unfortunate enough to catch it twice on scifi. And the critics always brutalize Phenomena for it's heavy metal soundtrack...

The Chaostar
01-03-2001, 02:28 AM
Rumours have it that Argento and Nicolodi went TOO MUCH into the occult thing with Suspiria and Inferno. Some say that Argento is not willing to continue the trilogy for his own good!
A publicity stunt? Who knows?.......

Jason25
01-03-2001, 02:38 AM
"some dorky Italian Argento wannabe"

Those are some very strong words. I'll attempt to contain my rage right now, but it won't be easy. I'll get back to you when it is safe for both of us.

It's one thing to not like someone and it is another to resort to name calling...

Cujo108
01-03-2001, 03:27 AM
Argento Fan 2003, I hope you aren't talking about the GREAT Lucio Fulci, because if so, you have rather pissed me off.

Paff
01-03-2001, 03:32 AM
yeah...I don't like The Black Cat very much (was there even a black cat in it??).

But Luigi Cozzi (aka Lewis Coates) is an Argento protege, and did the excellent documentary Dario Argento - Bizzare Opera (Master of Horror). Let's give him a LITTLE respect...

As far as completing the trilogy, there's a subtle hint that it may never happen. Here's why:
In Inferno, there's a beautiful woman with a cat in the conservatory with Mark. She's played by Ania Peironi. Remember that Mater Lachrymarum was "the most beautiful of the three"? Is that her in the conservatory?

Well, guess what Ania Peironi's next role was? The first victim in Tenebrae, the follow up film. Was Argento in effect "killing Mater Lachrymarum"? Maybe he was. Maybe that's all for the conclusion of the trilogy...

Mark Relford
01-03-2001, 06:05 AM
In my eyes, Fulci deserves the same respect as Argento. Like it or not, his legacy lives on...

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

Paff
01-03-2001, 07:29 AM
Just to clear this up, though I'm sure ArgentoFan can do this himself, The Black Cat he is referring to is NOT Fulci's film, but rather one made by Luigi Cozzi. They occasionally play it on the Sci-Fi Channel. It's not very good, but the characters talk about the movie Suspiria, and sometimes the Goblin music plays in the background. But that's about it.

[This message has been edited by Paff (edited 01-03-2001).]

Jason25
01-03-2001, 05:27 PM
For a minute I thought he was referring to Fulci, then after thinking about it you are correct. I think he is referring to Luigi Cozzi. I remember seeing this on Sci-FI once before.

I retract my original remark. I have a deep passion for fulci films and became "somehwat upset" after reading what I first interpretated as a knock against Fulci.

DVD Connoisseur
01-03-2001, 08:26 PM
I really hope Argento changes his mind. Although I prefer his dark thrillers to his supernatural movies, it would be a dream come true for the Three Mothers tale to be closed in style. Am I alone in thinking Inferno ended somewhat abruptly?

[This message has been edited by DVD Connoisseur (edited 01-03-2001).]

Jason25
01-03-2001, 09:15 PM
I agree with you. I would like to see him finish the trilogy and agree that Inferno, which is an excellent film, did indeed end abruptly.

Argento Fan 2003
01-03-2001, 09:19 PM
I'm not talking about Lucio Fulci's Black Cat. This is like a low budget film made by an uknown.