PDA

View Full Version : Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde... finally!

marioscido
07-11-2003, 01:34 AM
From DVD Drive-In:

"DVD Decision" -- the joint promotion from Warner Bros. Studios, AOL Movies (AOL) and Turner Classic Movies (TCM), which gave the public an opportunity to vote online for which five of 20 classic catalog candidates from the Warner Bros. library will be released on DVD -- was by all counts a major success. WHV will now give each of the five films a DVD debut on January 6, 2004, remastering them, adding bonus features and special content. Each DVD will sell for $19.98. Classic horror fans will be delighted to hear that included in the five is the 1941 DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE with Spencer Tracy, which will also have a bonus feature of the 1931 version featuring Fredric March!

mutleyhyde
07-11-2003, 02:07 AM
That would certainly kick major ass if the "bonus feature" is the whole movie, as opposed to only clips, such and Image did with Barrymore's J&H, throwing in a clip from the 1911, James Cruze version. Unfortunately, I don't like the wording of this news too much, as it doesn't specifically state that the "bonus feature" (sounds more in the sense of a dvd 'extra') will be the full "feature presentation".

Know what ah mean?

Anyway, I will be estatic if my trepidation is proven wrong, and we actually get the March version. Look at my fucking avatar that I haven't changed in for-fucking-ever... yeah, I'd be pretty damn happy if this came to pass.

Thanks for the heads up mario. http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

Ash28M
07-11-2003, 02:31 AM
I don't really care much for the Spencer Tracy version i'm just looking forward to the Fredric March version. Hopefully this news is true and they give the 31 version the treatment it deserves and don't just throw it on there like it's some two bit add on.

mutleyhyde
07-11-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Ash28M
I don't really care much for the Spencer Tracy version i'm just looking forward to the Fredric March version.
Fuckin' ay right! March got the best actor Acadamy Award for his performance that year. The movie was also nominated for the Best Writing, Adaptation category, and won the Venice Film Festival's Audience Referendum award http://www.horrordvds.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif . The Spencer Tracy version only garnered two technical nominations (cinematography and editing) and best dramatic score nomination to boot, but walked away empty handed... a lowly underachiever, a LOSER compared to the March version - boo, hiss!! ;)

marioscido
07-11-2003, 06:53 AM
I'm with you all the way on this one. It's the March version, directed by Rouben Mamoulian, that I am looking forward to. I've never been a big fan of either Spencer Tracy or Victor Fleming. I'll settle for a double feature type thing, as long as the March/Mamoulian collaboration is given a good decent transfer. Let's hope!

MaxRenn
07-11-2003, 03:01 PM
Here's another vote for the March version. The 1941 version tries to take all the horror out of the story and turn it into a psychological study.

I read that Spencer Tracy used no makeup for his transformations. Is that true? If so he did a good job.

Hammerfan
07-12-2003, 09:46 AM
I always got the impression from the 1941 version that MGM was trying to show off their two highly publicized beauties-Lana Turner and Ingrid Bergman. Perhaps this fluffed it up a bit and it loses a lot of its chill. It will be nice to have both versions on this DVD.

dwatts
07-12-2003, 09:50 AM
I will buy this in a second. I have been waiting for this (along with Hunchback of Notre Dame) to complete the classic monsters collection (as defined by history, not Universal). I might get othr version too - but the only one out now is Jack Palance, and honestly, I really dislike him!

Best Jeckyl and Hyde transformation scene - in Jack the Ripper with Michael Caine (a TV movie put out by AB). Amazingly frightening.