PDA

View Full Version : Chaos

MaxRenn
07-12-2003, 12:50 AM
I know it's not a horror film but has anyone seen "Chaos" directed by Hideo Nakata? Is it any good? And how is the quality of the recent Region 1 release?

Deaddevilman
07-12-2003, 01:29 AM
This is a great film. I saw in on the big screen in Tokyo so can't tell you anything about the disk.

Maupin
07-18-2003, 02:53 PM
I liked Chaos but felt it was missing something. It seemed to be Nakata's tribute to Les Diaboliques, and until the ending I enjoyed it immensely. But I wish it would have had a killer third act.

The Japanese region 2 disc's picture is excellent.

I just saw Battle Royale 2 last week. Man, what a disappointment.

MaxRenn
07-19-2003, 01:56 AM
Thanks guys. I'd really like to see this but I think $20 is a little much although I have been very impressed with Nakata's work.

Deaddevilman
07-19-2003, 02:37 AM
What would you pay $20 for? This is a hell of a lot better then 98% of the shit released. Get it a pokerindustries.com and use the following code. It'll save you $4. That's more crack for your pipe.

From now until July 20th, 2003 you may use the coupon code NS0720 to receive a 20%* discount off your order. Use the coupon as often as you'd like between now and then. This coupon may not be used toward preorder items and may not be used retroactively.

Wermode
07-22-2003, 11:03 AM
Chaos is more suspense than horror, but has an extremely well-constructed plot. As the title suggests, it starts out simple, and then gets more and more complex throughout. Every ten minutes, you find yourself thinking, "now we're at the bottom of it," only to discover the story goes deeper and deeper. Fun stuff, and engaging throughout.

Paff
08-15-2003, 10:25 AM
If you're talking about the version released by Kino, the quality is just fine (though it's lacking in extras if that's your thing).

Like the others have said, it has elements of Diabolique, as well as Vertigo and Blood Simple, with a narrative structure that's like throwing Memento into a randomizer. Oh, and Miki Nakatani is real easy on the eyes. I'd say go for it.

Disco Stu
09-09-2003, 11:02 PM
I watched it yesterday and was pretty disapointed, once I realized that the movie was not about the characters anymore, but all about story construction. At a certain point you may ask yourself, "why do I care?" If all it is is plot twists and a new double cross every minutes, eventually it will get tiring, especially when so much energy is expended having to go back and explain each little detail with 10 minutes of exposition. If anyone saw "Wild Things," and there was the explanation of the plot holes during the credits, this was like watching a whole movie made up of those scenes.

Oh and the Kino disc looked rather nice, but the stereo soundtrack was rather limited compared to the constant atmosphere of the R3 Dark Water disc which had an excellent DTS track (despite being listed as DTS-ES, it is not).