PDA

View Full Version : New to the Euro-Horror Scene

DayoftheRhodes
01-03-2001, 05:03 AM
I am completely a newbie when it comes to European Horror. I've seen Gates Of Hell and that's it. I've stayed in the American scene for too long. Can anyone recommend some really good European DVD's to buy? Make sure you recommend DVD's that likely won't be remade with more extras and shit later so I don't waste my money. Argento is the dude I'm interested in. I heard about the AB release of Suspiria coming up and maybe this is the film to introduce myself to him. Anyways, give me some feedback.

jae
01-03-2001, 03:15 PM
I would suggest checking out Mario Bava. The Bava box set is great and all the movies in it are good as well as the individual Image releases of Black Sabbath and Black Sunday.

I just recently saw Suspiria myself and didn't care for it that much. It has some great moments but I can't see why its such a classic. I found a widescreen tape at Blockbuster by Fox Lorber that you might want to check out until the DVD comes out.

Dave
01-03-2001, 04:03 PM
Going to move to the Euro-Horror forum. Everyone there can offer some great suggestions.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

Jason25
01-03-2001, 05:40 PM
I would suggest Don't Torture A Duckling, House by the Cemetery, City of the Living Dead, or Zombie by Fulci to start out with.

I would suggest Phenomena, Tenebre, Inferno, Deep Red, or The Stendhal Syndrome by Argento to start out with.

After you have watched some of these I would move on to any one of these other directors, however, many great Euro Horror films still have not been released on dvd. Other great Euro Horror directors are: Bava, Soavi, Lenzi, Martino, Deodato, Grau, among others.

Hope that helps.

AceRimRat
01-03-2001, 09:34 PM
As a relative newcomer to Euro-horror, I would suggest this:

If you want to try Fulci, try Zombie or City of the Living Dead, then the Beyond.

If you want to try Argento, try Tenebre or Phenomena, then Deep Red.

I haven't gotten into a lot of other stuff yet, but for these two, I think the "lesser" movies are more mainstream and accessible to the newbie than the "masterpieces." At least that's the way it worked out for me. For instance, I thought Tenebre was a great mystery that really showed me the style Argento brings to the screen - once I was used to that, I could focus more on symbolism, meaning, etc. in the somewhat more thoughtful pieces like Inferno.

My 2 cents. Hope it helps.

nimereht
01-03-2001, 09:41 PM
I would defenitely check out Deep Red. If you like Hitchcock type movies, this is the way to go. If you are a fan of the Universal Horror Type movies check out Bava's Black Sunday. Or if Gore is more your thing definitely seek out any of the Fulci zombie flix, especially the Beyond. Also not mentioned is Soavi's Cemetary Man...a neat little zombie film.

Euro horror doesn't always make sense, but they are a lot of fun...

Jason25
01-12-2001, 05:47 AM
Have you purchased any euro horror dvd's?

Was wondering if you had made any decisions on what dvd's you wanted to buy.

DayoftheRhodes
01-12-2001, 06:09 AM
no, i actually bought saving private ryan today. I love the movie and the best way to experience it is dvd. anyways, i'm looking into The beyond and the upcoming Suspiria. Maybe Deep Red also.