PDA

View Full Version : my review of STACY

DefJeff
07-12-2003, 06:39 AM
"Introducing our newest model chainsaw, Bruce Campbell's Right Hand 2!!"

So I recently got the Synapse release of the Japanese zombie film, STACY. I've heard and read nothing but bad things everywhere about this film, so I figured I would put up a review here for you guys, since you know my tastes for the most part and can judge for yourself.

A/V on this release is fantastic. Shot in digital video, STACY is presented in a NEW 16:9 Anamorphic (1.78:1) transfer. Sound is presented in Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo in its original Japanese language with "newly translated, easy to read" subtitles. Way to go Synapse!

Rounding out the rest of the package is the original trailer to STACY, which is quite cool and some neat linear notes written by Patrcik Macias, who is the author of TokyoScope: The Japanese Cult Film Companion.

This film takes place in Japan, but is about young girls, between the ages of 15-17, dying suddenly all over the world, but only to come back as a "STACY" if not disposed of properly. What the fuck is a Stacy you ask? It's a zombie of course.. and like other zombies, they want to eat all the limbs, guts and flesh they can. There is a special task force to properly dispose of the Stacies, but back at HQ, a doctor is doing experiments on pent up Stacies. When a soldier finally loses it and releases the pent up Stacies, all hell breaks lose and blood begins to fly. Meanwhile, a man meets a mysterious girl who is going to die in a few days.. he is slowly falling in love with her, but what will he do when she turns into a Stacy in just a few days? What will happen with the horde of Stacies running free? Well, you must watch to find out!

Now I have read this film bashed in alot of places, even here on this board, but I just dont see what the problem is. I've heard this called a Japanese Troma film!! I just don't see the compairison! While its not on the level of JUNK, this is still a pretty damn good zombie flick.

This film is obviously not ment to be taken 100% seriously, and contains humour similar to that in EVIL DEAD and movies like that. It also has a few references to some horror movies and people: George Romero, DAY OF THE DEAD, DAWN OF THE DEAD, EVIL DEAD, ARMY OF DARKNESS, and I think a few more. In addition to that, this movie has some great music that fits the mood just fine, some REALLY nice looking women and lots of gore to boot. All the ingrediants of a fun horror flick.

I didn't find too much to complain about, probly the worst thing to me in this movie is the way the Stacies moved, they kind of jerked around instead of stumbled.. I don't really know a better way to describe it, but if you see the movie, you'll know what I mean. It's also a shame we didn't get to see any naked Japanese school girls... :(

All in all though, I really had alot of fun with this, and while not the best zombie film of all time, its still worth checking out for fans of Asian horror or zombie films in general. I definitally recommend it!

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/covers/stacy.jpg

DefJeff
07-12-2003, 06:45 AM
http://www.diveclubs.com/snugglebuster/stacypics.jpg

Atmims
07-12-2003, 06:57 AM
Great review as always Jeff. Keep up the good work. I know I can trust you opinion so I'm gonna check this booger out ASAP.

thrashard76
07-12-2003, 07:07 AM
Jeff dude, those pix rock! :D Great review as always and I must say this movie is looking mighty tempting even in the coming months ahead with all those newer releases. ;)

Zodiac-Mindwarp
07-12-2003, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the kick ass review Jeff!

I had not realized that this was out already. I will have to add this to my next big order from DDD! :D

Hellbilly
07-12-2003, 09:39 AM
Great review Jeff and those pics look awesome!

dwatts
07-12-2003, 09:46 AM
Damn. When I first saw this (in Germany without english subs) I wanted it. Then I read about it on this board and got turned off to it. Now you write this. Other than:

--we didn't get to see any naked Japanese school girls--

Which is a missed opportunity if ever I saw one (mind you, I guess they'd be nude DEAD schoolgirls :nervous: )

Still - I bought Junk yesterday - so this one might rise to the top of the list now. Thanks for the heads up.

bad_cardsuk
07-12-2003, 01:17 PM
I think this looks great....I'm off to the US in Novemeber and I'm adding this to my list of purchases while I'm there!

Shannafey
07-13-2003, 05:21 AM
You definitely made me want this film!

BloodMan
07-14-2003, 08:06 PM
The whole world has gone mad!!!! Well... I'm gonna go put a piece of lead in my head now. Goodbye cruel world. :)

Nick

indiephantom
07-21-2003, 06:13 AM
DefJeff,

Your review skills are awesome.

I almost pre-ordered this a few weeks ago, just based on the premise. Then I read some things that turned me off. Now I want to see it again.

DefJeff
07-21-2003, 07:37 AM
Thanks alot for the kind words, Indiephantom.

I'd love to know if any of you that bought this enjoyed it as much as I did

Luna
07-23-2003, 12:31 AM
I had to buy it.

The picture of the bunny chick with the chainsaw did it.

*hangs head in shame*

KR~!
07-23-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Luna
I had to buy it.

The picture of the bunny chick with the chainsaw did it.

*hangs head in shame*

Bunny chicks with Chainsaws, nothing beats that.

http://www.newmoanyeah.com/images/2003/other/stacy_1.jpg

The gore effects are suppose to be some of the best.

I will be putting this one on my want list.

http://www.teleport-city.com/images/screencaps/horror/stacy07.jpg

Mortis
07-23-2003, 01:45 PM
I'd definately like to see this no matter how good/bad it turns out to be.

Andrew
07-29-2003, 08:04 AM
Just watched it and I loved every minute of it. And I hate Troma movies, so definitely a bad comparison there IMO. But yeah, see this movie. I may even have had more fun with it than JUNK, although it's much sillier and less serious. The narrative is shaky, but there are some great moments. I love the one part in the forest where the guy sees Momo and it looks like he's gonna break out laughing. And the Bruce Campbell saw actually says "Blues Campbell" but I have no idea why. Great injokes and such, and cool music to boot. I really enjoyed this.

Luna
07-29-2003, 08:49 AM
I watched it last night and had a lot of fun doing so. I'm happy I caved and bought it so quickly. Granted, you really need to enjoy a specific type of humor to enjoy it as much as I did, I'm sure. I thrive on cheesy movies and this one WAS cheesy, but in that totally forgivable and enjoyable way for me. It was everything DefJeff said it would be, and more. It was pleasantly gory, too.

I'm glad I didn't listen to that original reviewer... the one offsite who said he REALLY wanted to like the movie but just couldn't. I will admit I tend to be a bit forgiving of a film's flaws, even if I know they're there and if they're obvious. I can ignore them, so I usually don't listen to negative reviews like that anyway. I like to make my own mind up about a movie, because I know my tastes. I have a HIGH tolerance for cheese. :D

Now I have to call up likeminded friends to show the disc to them sometime this week, hopefully. :evil:

Btw, I wouldn't call this a Japanese Troma film either. That'd be a bit harsh.

Mortis
07-29-2003, 05:59 PM
That's it! I'm coming over to see it!

Luna
07-30-2003, 12:46 AM
:lol: I'll nuke the Movie Theater Butter popcorn, then. :D