PDA

View Full Version : DVD of the Week - Week 6 - Nightmare City SE

Jason25
02-02-2001, 05:17 AM
Time for the newest DVD of the Week. This weeks pick is a favorite of mine from Umberto Lenzi, Nightmare City SE dvd.

An excellent little film, I love when we are first introduced to the zombies on the airstrip. I love zombies who can fire guns and brutally attack the living.
The ending is cool also, but I won't spoil the fun right now.

This dvd looks and sounds really good, especially when compared to the Laser Paradise disc which I also own. I highly suggest everyone watch this film at least once. It might not be for everyone, but I think just about anyone who enjoys zombie films will like this one.

gogogorilla
02-02-2001, 12:43 PM
Hi,

I don't know if this has been answered previously, because I'm new to this forum, but which DVD version of Nightmare City has the unremoveable Japanese subtitles? Or do they both?

I've held off from buying this gem (one of my all time favorite films- it's just got so much brainless and fun zombie action) because I already own a nice dupe of the Japanese release and I want to get a version without the burned on subtitles.

Eric

The Chaostar
02-02-2001, 02:07 PM
There are two versions on DVD
One from Laser Paradise. There, the source of the transfer was a Japanese Laserdisc. They evem matted it to cover the subtitles making the 2.35.1 ratio look like a 2.00.1 one. Still, subtitles pop here and there sometimes. There are no extras on that disc (6 trailers for other films!).

The other dvd though is out from Italian Shock and it is quite good. Sadly the picture is not anamorphic (a big minus) but it looks great and it only has some occasional scratches here and there. Still, for such a cheap film this looks great. It has a 50 minute interview with Umberto Lenzi (Anchor Bay are you listening?), a screen specific commentary (recorded by Lenzi himself on a portable tape-recorder), the complete soudntrack with track listing (just like the BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE dvd), a cool photo gallery, some interesting notes and a trailer.

Funny film. Zombies with tuxedos and some of the worst make-up in horror movie history, fast pacing, badly made gore -hilarious!- and yes, a cool ending.

gogogorilla
02-03-2001, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the info! The Italian Shock DVD definately sounds like the way to go.

I never get tired of this movie. It's a pretty laughable film, but there's still a lot to like about it. From an entertainment standpoint, the film succeeds. The zombies may look like they have oatmeal on there faces, but they still manage to be somewhat creepy. As well, the action rarely slows. One thing I've always found funny abou the zombies is how they always go straight for women's breasts- gotta love those Italian zombies!

Hadenuff
02-03-2001, 06:14 PM
I deleted the info.

The Chaostar
02-04-2001, 02:20 PM
Oh!
Didn't think of that ( I did not have the laser disc to compare the dvd with though ).
Nice info!

Jason25
02-04-2001, 10:39 PM
I do love the makeup, it is very cheesy, but I like it.

Funktion
02-05-2001, 01:09 AM
What's the cheapest place (in Europe) for the new Italian Shock release?