PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear about Blockbuster trying to kill DVD

chrishicks
01-09-2001, 04:56 PM
I just read that Blockbuster is trying to get the studios to make all DVD's availiable as rental 1st. This would make the selling price around $100.00 for each DVD unless you wanted to wait for a year or more instead of like the 6 months we wait now. I think they are losing alot of money cause no one rents anymore since you can just buy the movies now. I myself would rather just spend the extra money to own the movie even if I never watch it again.

JBENE
01-09-2001, 07:03 PM
Those Mormon owned bastards at SHITBUSTER are just mad because DVD is gonna put VHS out of its misery.No way DVD'S are gonna go up in price like LD.If anything DVD'S are gonna go down in price and eventually the average price will be around $20.Also new releases of older film like alot of AB titles(DEEP RED,THE BEYOND)won't be carrried by them so how can it affect there prices.I used to manage a BLOCKBUSTER and if anyone has any question on how bad they treat there employees and customers, I'm all ears.

Django
01-09-2001, 09:43 PM
Rental pricing will never happen across the board and heres why. You can't take a format that has become so popular so fast thanks almost completely because of low price points then raise the price and still believe that people will pay it. Ain't gonna happen.

Now I'm not saying there isn't some dipshit studio out there who isn't dumb enough to try, hell I hope they do cause it's gonna be funny to watch the downfall that comes with it. As for Blockbuster, screw 'em. I haven't rented anything from them in at least six months cause like most people I buy what I like and skip the rest.

But what I do see is a delay in releasing the VHS and DVDs like we've seen with Fight Club and American Beauty among others. That makes more sense to me but what do I know.

Besides, you really think studios are gonna release a flick like The Warriors for $100? No way, and that right there is why rental pricing will never take off.

There's too many classic catalog titles coming out that people want...

chrishicks
01-09-2001, 09:50 PM
Has anyone noticed that Crapbuster has a few DVD titles that aren't availiable at any retailers? I was looking at the movie Paranoid with Jessica Alba but I don't rent DVD's so I tried to buy it online and can't find this title anywhere. I tried several price search sites and nothing so I even searched store by store with no luck. I know there were a few other titles like this but I just can't remember them of hand.

Mark Relford
01-09-2001, 09:53 PM
F**ck BlockBuster! My Blockbuster has shit selection for DVDs and hardly any good Horror titles on VHS. I'll always support the Mom n' Pop store near me. (At least they have a great horror section!) If that rental pricing scam is true, than they are eeeeeevvvviiilll incarnate.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

chrishicks
01-09-2001, 09:58 PM
Where I live all the mom 'n' pop stores are almost gone but have Blockbusters at almost every main crossroad. I more or less buy everything I want to see or I don't see it anymore.

Mark Relford
01-09-2001, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by chrishicks:
Has anyone noticed that Crapbuster has a few DVD titles that aren't availiable at any retailers? I was looking at the movie Paranoid with Jessica Alba but I don't rent DVD's so I tried to buy it online and can't find this title anywhere. I tried several price search sites and nothing so I even searched store by store with no luck. I know there were a few other titles like this but I just can't remember them of hand.

They also have exclusive rights to that new Indy game for the Nintendo 64. You can't even get it in retail stores, cause of those dumb shits at Lucas Arts.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

Jeremy
01-09-2001, 10:32 PM
A couple months ago, I read an article about some of the smaller video store chains trying to get the Justice Department to bring anti-trust charges against Blockbuster. They had a laundry list of complaints a mile long, everything from unfair distribution deals BB made with the studios to illegal stifling of competition and monopolization of the video rental market. It would be nice if the JD was to do that, but I doubt the incoming attorney general will have much interest in it.

hojimoji
01-10-2001, 05:08 AM
I don't know about Blockbuster but I read a DVD pricing article that intimated that Disney would prefer DVD to have the two-tier pricing that VHS now has. I don't see how Blockbuster has anything to lose yet, but when more older movies come out on DVD they are going to have to change their structure.

BTW, has anyone seen the deal Blockbuster is now offering? I think it was like 30 DVD's in 30 days for 19.99. That would almost be worth it if any Blockbuster I have seen actually had some selection.

TTYL
Gordon

chrishicks
01-10-2001, 05:21 AM
An article at www.DVDFile.com (http://www.DVDFile.com) has a little bit about the Blockbuster story.

Paff
01-10-2001, 05:24 AM
This rumor has been around for a while, and while I hope it won't happen (Hopefully it's a case of trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube), it will be real bad news if it does.

Not as much for the home ownership though. This is the way Blockbuster crushes competition. If Mom-N-Pop's store now has to pay $100 for each rental DVD they carry, rather than $19.95, they simply won't carry as many copies. BB will work out a deal with the studio where they get them at a discount (since they buy so many), and they can carry 100's of copies. So you can wait a month on a list at Mom-N-Pop's store for the one or two copies they have, or go to Blockbuster and get it immediately.

Upshot: Mom-N-Pop's goes out of business, and now you can only get the R-rated versions of movies at Blockbuster. They're evil I tells ya, eeeeeevvvviiilll.

So I can see why rumors exist that Blockbuster wants this. Whether or not those rumors are true and not just internet gossip remains to be seen. But it's definitely something to keep a wary eye on, that's for damn sure.