PDA

View Full Version : Wild At Heart (R2)

Hellbilly
07-13-2003, 12:34 PM
Wow.

It's been like what, 12 years since I last saw Wild At Heart?
Watching the Media/Fox crappy full screen video back then I remember not being utterly impressed by the movie.

Full screen was probably the main reason for not really enjoying this the way I should have. The whole film kinda appeared cheap to me, especially in the final scenes with Mom (Diane Ladd) throwing fits (before dissolving into smoke)
Everything looked terribly cramped and like suffering from bad editing. Those faults kinda watered down the whole impact of the film, at least for me.

All of this has changed of course. Watching Wild At Heart for the very first time in glorious and breathtaking 2.35:1 widescreen was quite a revelation and yet another mind blowing experience for me.

Yep, I found a new appreciation for Wild At Heart and after watching it for the third time in two weeks I'm gonna list this as my fourth favorite Lynch movie ever, right after Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead and Blue Velvet.

The story is like straight out of a kitsch soap series - but on acid.
Everything is over-the-top it's almost hilarious. Starting off with Diane Ladd as the vengeful mother wearing cheap blonde wigs and long red fingernails - her performance as the "wicked witch of the west" is a real jaw dropper.
Nicolas Cage was alright playing "Elvis" and Laura Dern never looked sexier. There's something very kinky about the way she exposes her shaven armpits at any given moment :D
Kudos to Willem Dafoe and those teeth. Very nasty.

Lynch's most sexual and violent movie to date (if that's even possible), dark and twisted - Wild At Heart delivers on all accounts. The usual Lynch weirdness with lots of strange and colorful characters. Needless to say this bizarre masterpiece is highly recommended.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00008WJ6E.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I for once couldn't wait for that (supposed) special edition from MGM streeting this October. Ah well, I might still upgrade if that SE is gonna happen.

Universal released Wild At Heart in Germany a few weeks ago (R2 - PAL):

Video - 2.35:1 (16:9)
Widescreen transfer looks ok, hardly noticed any dirt or grain. Colors are fine, the image appears to be sharp but the car accident night scene is a tad too dark for my taste.

Audio - Dolby Digital 5.1 (English)
Sounds alright. Nice upmix. Score can be very loud at times though.

Extras - None

dwatts
07-13-2003, 12:42 PM
I saw this all over the UK - streeting at $15 it's not bad. I had already bought too much though.... Still. maybe later. Thanks for the review.

onebyone
07-13-2003, 01:37 PM
Oh what a tease you are with this review. I am waiting on mine to arrive from amazon uk and I am losing my patience. This is my favorite Lynch movie by far; I am intriqued at the thought of maybe liking it even better.

I better go check my mail again, just in case.

DefJeff
07-13-2003, 05:58 PM
Great review Hellbilly!

I am going to wait for the r1 release, but this just upped my anticipation quite a bit

bigdaddyhorse
07-13-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by onebyone

I better go check my mail again, just in case.

You gat mail on Sunday's? I wanna live there!:D

Hellbilly
07-14-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by onebyone
Oh what a tease you are with this review.
:)
I know, but I just couldn't resist :banana: