PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Bay and Euro Horror dvds

Jason25
02-07-2001, 05:27 AM
Kudos to Anchor Bay for all they have done for us Euro Horror fans. They consistently release top notch dvds of great Euro Horror films. Any thoughts?

AceRimRat
02-07-2001, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Jason25:
Kudos to Anchor Bay for all they have done for us Euro Horror fans. They consistently release top notch dvds of great Euro Horror films. Any thoughts?

Other than "bring on Suspiria!" my only thought on this would be to second your kudos.

joot29
02-13-2001, 09:56 PM
Hey, I do agree that Anchor Bay should be commended, but I'm still pissed off about something. Why re-release newer more improved versions, so that we have to spend more money!? What am I gonna do with my old "Zombie" DVD after I (surely) purchase the re-mastered one they're gonna release soon? Same thing with "Dawn of the Dead", since I now hear they're gonna release the "definitive" version. What bull!! Anchor Bay should learn something from Criterion. I'd rather spend $39.99 once and get an amazing package, than keep shelling out $24.99 over and over for the SAME MOVIE. Anyway, I'm done with my ranting and raving.....

joot29
02-13-2001, 10:37 PM
One thing I wanted to mention. "Anchor Bay are you listening?"... I will truly be disapointed if you neglect to include the U.S. trailer of Suspiria on your impending release of this masterpiece. It's the one that begins with a slow zoom-in of the back of a skeleton woman's head brushing her hair. Definitely one of the scariest horror trailers ever... I just watched it (downloaded from Horror DVD.com), hoping that is surely was the same one I remember creeping the hell out of me as a 7 year old. It brought me back to the glory days of horror during the 70s when my accomodating Mother (God bless her) let me see frightening horror flicks (Exorcist, Dawn of the Dead, Zombie). The horror genre went downhill after the mid 80s and now we're in this horrible wave of "tongue in cheek" slasher flicks. The only film of recent times to freak me out the way those early ones did was the masterpiece: "Blair Witch Project".

DVD Connoisseur
02-13-2001, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by joot29:
The only film of recent times to freak me out the way those early ones did was the masterpiece: "Blair Witch Project".

joot29, you're scaring me!
:D
The only thing frightening about The Blair Witch Project was the fact that I was daft enough to actually watch it! It ranks as the most hyped non-event in the whole of my cinema-going lifetime. I really wanted to like this movie but it was a massive anti-climax. If the BBC's Ghostwatch programme ever sees the light of day on DVD, you'll see what a truly frightening "broadcast" looks like. Blair Witch was a very dull stroll in the woods by comparison. Trust me...

I agree with the rest of your post wholeheartedly - welcome to the forum! ;)

Cujo108
02-14-2001, 01:37 AM
I agree with joot29, I think The Blair Witch Project was a masterpiece and one of the best films of the 90s. Also, I can't wait for Anchor Bay's releases of Opera, Suspiria, Cat O'Nine Tails, and The Black Cat!

mutleyhyde
02-14-2001, 01:57 AM
Blair Witch was a great example of the effect isolation has on individual psyche and group cohesiveness. It should be used as an educational film in psychology courses. As for being a horror flick, the movie sucked raw eggs :p !

Mark Relford
02-14-2001, 03:46 AM
I'm with joot29 and Cujo108 on this one. Sure, the BWP was hyped up, but I still enjoyed it.

Now, back to Euro horror...

joot29
02-21-2001, 05:55 AM
I just watched the Image DVD of "Twitch of the Death Nerve" (aka "Bay of Blood") and really enjoyed it. Don't (I repeat), don't buy or rent the previously released crappy DVD print (titled "Bay of Blood"). It looks awful. Mario Bava once again started a whole new genre (the slasher flick) with this movie. Friday 13th is basically a less artsy homage to it (complete with the "axe in the face" murder). But really, the gore in "Bay of Blood" still holds up pretty well (for being an early 70s flick) and must have truly been shocking when it came out. I'm more convinced than ever that Mario Bava deserves all the praise in the world for his contributions. If it weren't for the advent of DVD I would never have appreciated his visual style because it's simply not evident on video-tape. Thank God for DVD!

napalm68
02-21-2001, 10:49 AM
BWP a Psych film? I think not. In these days of political correctness, the main them of BWP is SO un-PC. Ie, the devestating effects of leaving a woman in charge of the map.

I know what you mean about DVD giving films new appreciation. Being able to see them at high def, restored, and in theatrical format breathes new life into them. Eg, look at Profundo Rosso. Seeing it on VHS or even TV doesn't do it justice (the ethnic TV station did show it in widescreen and with the italian soundtrack, but you can just see so much more detail in the DVD). Another great non euro horror for detail is Alan Parker's Angel Heart. I saw that in it's theatrical release, and seeing it since on VHS and TV just did not cut it. Seeing it on DVD really makes it, and you can see the detail they went to with props and sets.

Yeah, anchor bay does an excellent job releasing good titles. However, I am a bit more circumspect about the multi editions. They probably wouldn't have the time, money or resources to have invested in the ultimate editions up front. Ie, if we were waiting for a definitive Dawn of the Dead, there would not be US DVD of it available yet, and hell, I don't think I could have waited all these years without it.

On the other hand, something I strongly object to are their milk-the-fans special 2 disc sets, where with DVD technology they can put multiple versions of a movie on the one disc, rather than have several versions (ie, Manhunter, Halloween, Army of Darkness). I honestly do not think this behavior is right. And I never buy there special editions unless they have extra DVD material. I'm not into trinkets (each to their own though)

DVD Connoisseur - The Ghostwatch is pretty good? I might have to check it out. I think they have been advertising it on Fox Cable in Australia recently.

DVD Connoisseur
02-21-2001, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by napalm68:

DVD Connoisseur - The Ghostwatch is pretty good? I might have to check it out. I think they have been advertising it on Fox Cable in Australia recently.

Wow! That's surprising - I thought the BBC were keeping it locked in their vault in case of more controversy. Maybe it's time the programme saw the light of day again. Petitions keep flying around on the internet. I would love a DVD with audio commentary. Perhaps one day....

Ghostwatch was the most frightening thing I have ever seen and, best of all, no matter how many times you watch it, there's something new to scare you silly. Brilliant, inspiring television.

Jason25
02-22-2001, 11:06 AM
Hey Joot29, I agree with you. Bava really should get more credit than he gets. An excellent film, Twitch is one of my favorites.

Captain Howdy
02-28-2001, 02:04 PM
I agree with DC, "Ghostwatch" was a great programme. It was made all the more scary because when it was initially shown you assumed it was a real documentary and it was presented by normal UK TV presenters. I have it on VHS but I've heard nothing about it since it was first shown. There were all kinds of reports in the newspapers (so it must be true..... :) ) about people killing themselves and having nervous breakdowns after watching it......hmmm....

Rene
03-02-2001, 10:22 PM
Hi, Im waiting for Anchor Bays "House By The Cemetery", "Manhattan Baby" and "A Blade In The Dark" DVDs, in January I was told they would be finally coming and are dated for April 10, 2001... so I pre-ordered them, but being impatient I found it hard to wait till April, now I just read the "street date" is postponed (again) to May 29, guess I have to live with that since previous releases of these titles were not really satisfying ("House By The Cemetery" seems to already have 5 or more DVDs out, "Manhattan Baby" only out as poor-quality-1.85:1 versions on DVD so far), does anybody know already what tons of "Extras" Anchor Bay is going to add to their DVDs to beat all the other companies that were faster ? With every month it takes longer my expectations get higher ;) Are there really not any infos about the picture quality (re-mastered from original film or only takeovers from other companies masters ? picture bright enough ? sharpness okay ? enough contrast ? picture hopefully not cropped ?) or the tons of Extras (Interview/Audio Commentary with the always-ignored-before Mr. Frezza maybe ?) available yet ? Anchor Bays Fulci & Co. DVDs were usually fine (with a few more or less little complaints here and there) but according to these new ones taking so much time they must be going to be the greatest versions ever ? :) Anybody who heard facts/infos... please post, thanks ;)