PDA

View Full Version : The Hand?

dwatts
07-17-2003, 04:16 PM
With Michael Caine. Anyone caught sight of it?

r_burgos2003
07-17-2003, 04:24 PM
I've heard of it. If your looking for it, go to Amazon.com's used and new shop.

Tawny
07-17-2003, 05:02 PM
The Hand is Oliver Stone's first film I think.

r_burgos2003
07-17-2003, 05:07 PM
It's available on Amazon.com which means it should still be in print...you can order it from blockbuster by filling out a request form and then buying it. ;)

dwatts
07-17-2003, 05:27 PM
Can you link to it on Amazon - I can't find it....

Deaddevilman
07-18-2003, 10:03 AM
I believe it's unreleased at this point in time. I saw it a long time ago and generally remember it to be quite good. Did you know that Stone cast Jon Voight, Dustin Hoffman and Christopher Walken in the lead role of the Hand but was turned down until Micheal Caine accepted.

dwatts
07-18-2003, 10:09 AM
Did not know that. However, what a deal! Caine is my favorite actor out of all those. :)

Damn - another disc to add to me NOT RELEASED list. I hate those :cry:

mcchrist
07-18-2003, 11:43 AM
The Hand isn't released as far as I know. Its a damn fine movie too, I caught it every time it was on cable when I was a kid.

Yowie
07-18-2003, 05:45 PM
Good little rare thriller, I'd buy a widescreen release for sure. It also stars the underused Andrea "The Stuff" Marcovicci as Caine's wife, and Stone himself has a cameo as a drunk in an alley, quite a contrast to his current lifestyle.

dwatts
07-18-2003, 09:22 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tawny
07-18-2003, 10:03 PM
Isn't it coming out as part of a 2 disc set? I remember hearing something about that.

Tawny
07-18-2003, 10:06 PM
According to Dave, Elite is releasing it as a 2 disc set with I Bury the Living.I'd link to it, but I'd probably just screw it up.

Darkshadow
07-19-2003, 03:05 PM
The Hand on the upcoming Elite disc is supposed to be the 1960 tale about some British prisoners of war who get their hand chopped off by the Japanese. The Hand with Michael Caine was made in 1981.

Hellbilly
07-19-2003, 04:14 PM
Besides, wasn't Oliver Stone's "The Hand" a Warner Bros production? I doubt Elite ever got the rights from Warners to release it.

Tawny
07-19-2003, 04:18 PM
Oops:o I didn't know there were 2 Hands.I just assumed it was the one from the 80's.Sorry:nervous:

dwatts
07-19-2003, 04:55 PM
Dude, we've ALL got two Hands.

:lol:

Tawny
07-19-2003, 04:57 PM
:lol:

RyanPC
07-19-2003, 05:54 PM
I rented The Hand at my local video store, I liked it... but I doubt I would buy it if it ever came out on DVD since I doubt I would watch it a lot. :D

Rock
07-21-2003, 03:59 PM
Jee-zus Cah-rist! I've received nothing but mostly crap for putting MANHUNTER in the Classics forum and here you're discussing a piece of shit like THE HAND?!:eek2: :fuck: :fire:

dwatts
07-21-2003, 04:21 PM
So what do you really think of it?

Isn't Manhunter in that new fangled color?

steve_p
07-25-2003, 08:56 PM
I haven't seen that movie in a long time.

shape22
09-09-2012, 09:15 PM
I hadn't seen this one in a long time. But I caught some of the dismembered hand marathon on TCM recently and decided to throw in the DVD and watch it again.

It's enjoyable trash. The plot is 100% predictable. And aside from Caine the characters are all one-note cardboard cut-outs. But Caine is on-screen nearly every second. And that makes all the difference. His willingness to pimp himself out and throw himself full-bore into bad films makes me like him even more. We need to start a thread about truly great actors who've appeared in scores of really terrible films.

Some of the early effects, like the lizard's tale, are laughable. But most of the other effects are very well done. The dismemberment scene gives the same kind of kick that good slasher kills give. I laughed out loud at the Stone's tackiness and audacity. And Caine's over-the-top grimacing is the icing on the cake. Good stuff.

I enjoyed Stone's cameo and Caine's wrestling scene with the hand a lot too. All told this is a pretty average movie. But there's plenty to enjoy if you like Michael Caine or want to see The Beast With Five Fingers updated with modern effects and gore.

Erick H.
09-10-2012, 05:19 AM
THE HAND was issued as part of a Warner's grab bag style horror set called THE TWISTED TERROR COLLECTION where it was included along with diverse horrors Someone Is Watching Me,From Beyond The Grave,Eyes Of A Stranger,Dr. Giggles,and Deadly Friend.You can also sometimes find it sold as a single.I had seen it pop up cheap at places like Big Lots but not in a while.It's 16/9 and has a comm. track by Oliver Stone.It's an oddball film but I have a fondness for it.It's kooky though,a bit overwrought.Based on a novel called ''The Lizard's Tail".Carlo Rambaldi built the mechanical hand used in the film,he just passed away.Got Oscars ALIEN and KING KONG.It's not Stone's first directorial gig by the way,that was an early 70's horror film called SEIZURE with the late Jonathan Frid and Martine Beswicke,Herve Villachez is in it as well.I don't know of a legit version of that on disc.

rijir
09-10-2012, 06:21 PM
I bought it on DVD a few years ago. Can't remember where though. I remember it was around $5.

dave13
09-10-2012, 06:33 PM
THE HAND was issued as part of a Warner's grab bag style horror set called THE TWISTED TERROR COLLECTION where it was included along with diverse horrors Someone Is Watching Me,From Beyond The Grave,Eyes Of A Stranger,Dr. Giggles,and Deadly Friend.

I think a lot of the titles (if not all) from the twisted terror collection have been relegated to warner's DVD-R MOD program. The same goes for the 4 cult camp classics box sets. that's a real shame. i missed the twisted terror box, but was able to grab all 4 CCC boxes before they were downgraded.

Erick H.
09-11-2012, 04:55 AM
I think a lot of the titles (if not all) from the twisted terror collection have been relegated to warner's DVD-R MOD program. The same goes for the 4 cult camp classics box sets. that's a real shame. i missed the twisted terror box, but was able to grab all 4 CCC boxes before they were downgraded.

I own a number of the TWISTED TERROR's as singles but never actually got the set.Odd that you mention the Camp Classics sets as I won one of those very sets from this site a number of years ago !

bigdaddyhorse
09-13-2012, 04:02 PM

There is actually a Twisted Terror: 4 Film Favorites that snuck out a few weeks ago, missing From Beyond the Grave and Dr. Giggles, but with the other 4 from the set. Or the old dvds are plentiful and cheap on amazon, including the whole box for around what retail price was. Didn't look like the Hand was MOD when I was looking at amazon yesterday.

dave13
09-13-2012, 05:36 PM
There is actually a Twisted Terror: 4 Film Favorites that snuck out a few weeks ago, missing From Beyond the Grave and Dr. Giggles, but with the other 4 from the set. Or the old dvds are plentiful and cheap on amazon, including the whole box for around what retail price was. Didn't look like the Hand was MOD when I was looking at amazon yesterday.

now that i think about it, i believe the only title i actually saw was From Beyond the Grave. So perhaps that was the only one that got downgraded to MOD. i just assumed that if one had gone MOD, then it was possible they all had. it's a shame, though. so the 4 film favorites includes Someone's Watching Me, Deadly Friend, Eyes of a Stranger, and The Hand? I may pick that up, although i would have preferred a set that replaced The Hand with From Beyond the Grave. The Hand was by far my least favorite of the set.