PDA

View Full Version : Suspiria DVD from Anchor Bay??

Wooly
01-05-2001, 05:23 AM
Okay call me stupid or ignorant, but is Anchor Bay planning on releasing Suspiria on DVD? I thought I heard something about this a few months ago, but I can't say for certain. So if anyone knows anything, I would be happy to hear it

Dave
01-05-2001, 01:12 PM
Yes! Both a standard release and a limited edition tin of Suspiria will be released in late 2001.

You can check the <A HREF="/extras/comingsoon.shtml">Coming Soon</A> list to see what horror stuff is coming this year.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

Jason25
01-06-2001, 05:12 AM
I'm so excited about Suspiria coming to dvd, especially since Anchor Bay is releasing it !

napalm68
01-06-2001, 10:05 AM
Here's some news from the excellent Argento resource (although their DVD reviews leave a lot to be desired in comparison to HorrorDVD.com http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif):
http://www.darkdreams.org/darkdreams.html

"I have received some information from Bill Lustig about the forthcoming CAT O'NINE TAILS and SUSPIRIA DVD's.

He has just returned from Roma after doing new interviews with Dario for the two discs.
Also, after rumours that Dario had fallen out with Anchor Bay, Bill reports that he is delighted with thier DVD releases so far and wants Anchor Bay to release NON HO SONNO!

Specifically on the subject of SUSPIRIA, they will be using a new low contrast print for the THX certified transfer which will come from the original camera negative which has been re-graded under the supervision of the film's cinematographer Luciano Tovoli!

According to Technicolor Roma, this negative has not been touched in 20 years.

After 2 months and 3 test prints, they are awaiting the final approved print from Technicolor to begin the transfer in L.A.

The audio facility, Chase Productions, has been sorting the original English stereo elements to be re-mixed in January into Dolby Digital 6.1 EX under the supevision of Claudio Simonetti. They will also be re-mixing the mono Italian and French soundtracks into Dolby 5.1."

Definitely looks like they are going to do a primo job with Suspiria. I just wish they'd fix up the credit sequence of Profundo Rosso... http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/frown.gif

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

[This message has been edited by napalm68 (edited 01-06-2001).]

Wooly
01-07-2001, 10:33 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the info guys!

Argento Fan 2003
01-07-2001, 11:30 PM
Don't get too excited. Not only have they used digital credits for the opening credits of Profondo Rosso but they've done the same for the end credits of Suspiria.

The Chaostar
01-08-2001, 12:21 AM
Who told you that? Is the dvd mastered already?

Argento Fan 2003
01-08-2001, 12:59 AM
I got that info from darkdreams.org I think. The webmaster, Nick, always has reliable info about Argento dvd releases.

The Chaostar
01-09-2001, 02:20 AM
Funny you say that. I write for darkdreams.org (I am Akis) and I do not recall Nick saying such a thing.

Argento Fan 2003
01-09-2001, 02:58 AM
I said "I think", I regularly post on the forum and visit that site so it seems like the most likely place to get that info. It was either there or DVD Nightmare.

mutleyhyde
01-09-2001, 04:41 AM
Gasp! Argento Fan, you said a dirty word!!

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

Argento Fan 2003
01-09-2001, 04:49 AM
I assume you mean DVD Nightmare lol, well it's closed now so I guess there's nothing to worry about.

AceRimRat
01-09-2001, 05:30 AM
Ah, this is a horror forum - what could be more horrible than... (drum roll please):

Return of the Site That Shall Not Be Named!

http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

mutleyhyde
01-09-2001, 07:16 AM
Argento Fan... you know what happened when they said Beetlejuice three times. Cut it out man!

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

napalm68
01-09-2001, 10:28 AM
Just after the quote I got from DarkDreams, they mentioned that Bill Lustig realised he screwed up on Profundo Rosso, to quote:

"As a side note, I asked Bill about the freeze frame end credits on the DEEP RED DVD. Here is what he said:

'The reason for the end credits freeze frame is that the Italians did not have the textless background to layback the English end credits. In light of the valid complaints, I should have let the Italian end credits roll up over the moving background followed by the English credits over black. I made a well intended wrong decision'.
"

So I somehow doubt that given he realized and admitted he did the wrong thing with Profundo Rosso, he isn't about to do it with Suspiria.

And speaking of Profundo Rosso, anyone know if the UK release will be complete... Given the garbage treatment they have given Argento's films so far, I'm not holding out any hope...

DVD Nightmare is no more eh? Ah well. It really went down the tubes the last six months. I deleted my bookmark for it about a month ago, after getting sick of the lack of updates...

[This message has been edited by napalm68 (edited 01-09-2001).]

The Chaostar
01-09-2001, 12:04 PM
The lizard scene and the dog fighting scene will be cut, that's for sure.

napalm68
01-11-2001, 10:18 PM
Ah yes, the old BBFC "you can show people getting cut up, blown up shot, raped, but show an animal which may be distressed, or people headbutting, or non-firearm weapons, and that's a no no...". Was Lassie cut in the UK? Poor old Lassie looked pretty distressed when Timmy got stuck in a well http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

The Chaostar
01-11-2001, 11:55 PM
Hahahaha!

Jason25
01-12-2001, 05:37 AM
Good one napalm68!

napalm68
01-13-2001, 03:22 AM
Heh, heh. Thanks guys. I have this theory that the BBFC thinks that the country will descend into pure anarchy if the people realise that you can hurt and kill people with common household items like a broom handle, or your forehead. If people just think that you need firearms to kill people, that's ok, as firearms are harder to come by...

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

suspiria
01-17-2001, 05:01 AM
You can say what you like about the BBFC but I think that British censors are a lot more logical than US censors. US censors cut explicit sex but leave violence alone. Its the reverse in the UK.

If I had a choice I would prefer that violence was cut. Us horror fans can get our uncut versions through bootlegs or Anchor Bay.

------------------
My DVD List (http://www.dvd.net.au/my_list.cgi?redowl)

napalm68
01-17-2001, 10:46 AM
I prefer the Australian Censors, actually. Unless it involves exploititive sexual abuse, they pretty much leave it alone (unless pressured by political parties to appease someone with a balance of power).

The BBFC is much worse than the US - at least in the US, if they don't like it, they release it unrated. The business of censoring headbutting, nunchuckas, etc, by the BBFC is just stupid beyond belief.

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

The Chaostar
01-17-2001, 05:26 PM
You prefer the UK censors?

Redowl, sorry if I sound a bit rude (not my intention) but what kind of horror fan are you who say that you preffer one censor from another? (And don't get this a bad way, we are just having an arguement, right?)

Yes, in the US things are much better, but even there the big studios are forcing directors to provide R-rated final cuts. So there is censorship there after all.

But the BBFC.... They should all be hanged! It is the most illogical thing, the most naive concept to think that eliminating violence and sex from a film will "protect" us.

From a bunch of idiots I prefer none of them.
That's why I do not understand your statement on which censor you prefer.

Any form of censorship is unjust and should be eliminated.

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-18-2001, 06:41 AM
I'm with Chaostar!
How the hell can you say you prefer the violence to be cut? That sounds rather strange on this forum. Are you a BBFC advocate? I mean, that's just silly. 80% of horror films are about violence. What films are you watching? I am not being hostile toward you at all, just speaking my opnion, but you have to be joking. censoring is ok? I can't follow you friend. it's not like we watch live acts of murder or rape.

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"