PDA

View Full Version : The "layer change" in Phenomena?

Paff
01-07-2001, 12:23 AM
Well, I hope it's not too redundant to start another Phenomena thread, but I saw something last night that made me wonder.

I've heard a lot of bad stuff about freezing and pixelating and layer changes on the Phenomena DVD. I wouldn't know - I've got the Roan Laserdisc, but I know that Anchor Bay simply ported that LD onto DVD.

Anyway, someone here said there was a major pause midway through, and the pause ends with Donald Pleasance saying "Diabolic". Well guess what? That's the EXACT moment of the side change on the laserdisc!!

Is there a possibility that Anchor Bay did not master these DVDs from a film print, but rather just master them from a LASERDISC?? That would sure explain the piss-poor quality.

I've seen other DVDs that are copies of LDs (like the Phantom Menace bootleg), and you can see when the side flips. On top of that, thw picture quality is definitely sub-par, as in effect it's a copy of a copy, and there's bound to be degradation. Shame on Anchor Bay if they've done this, no matter how long ago it was.

I'd suggest that you all check your AB-Roan ports: Demons movies, Tenebrae, Phenomena, Alice Sweet Alice. If anyone cares, I can find the exact moment of the side change and post them.

Now I see why everyone wants new versions of these movies...

Argento Fan 2003
01-07-2001, 12:34 AM
Thanks for that info, I should have thought of something like that, too bad I don't have a laserdisc player. So AB just copied the data from the laserdisc, they even used the same layer change, it's like they minimized it into a DVD. Well this is yet another reason for them to re-release the film, maybe a 2-disc set. The first disc is the same as the previous release (maybe with new menus & a new layer change). The second disc can be the integral print (without a commentary due to the fact that it has extra footage which might split dialogue with silence). I've already mentioned that extensive proposal I sent to AB that explains how they can obtain the integral print without subtitles in its original english dialogue. I hope you guys don't think I have OCD LOL, I just love this film and I guess it shows.

Paff
01-07-2001, 08:31 AM
whoa whoa whoa...I didn't say that WAS what happened....don't quote me on that. That was purely a speculation. I don't know if AB did that just on the Roan ports, just on Phenomena, or did it at all.

Maybe some of you that are familiar with both formats can see for yourselves. Or I can rent some of those movies and check. This is only a theory I'd like to test. Let's not convict Anchor Bay on this yet...

Jason25
01-07-2001, 07:54 PM
Sounds like a good theory to me.
The AB disc is definitely problematic. It doesn't play well at all on any of my dvd players, especially my Toshiba.

heces
01-07-2001, 09:17 PM
i also have a toshiba player and the ab dvd of phenomena.it is badly pixelated in lots of places when i play the disc.i will be looking into the new dragon dvd when it surfaces for sure!

DVD Connoisseur
01-07-2001, 09:37 PM
heces, it sound like you're experiencing the same problems as me. I use a chipped Tosh SD-9000. Have you experienced problems with the T2 Ultimate Edition (assuming you have this title). There are a few films which some Tosh players struggle with due to branched segments. Allegedly, the Tosh SD-9000 won't play the discs because it reads the "branches" as errors in some instances. Anyways, my Tosh hated Phenomena, as per my previous thread elsewhere. I'm wondering if it'll accept Blood and Blace Lace after reading your post in another area.

Argento Fan 2003
01-07-2001, 10:16 PM
If you don't want to wait for Dragon's release you can get the UK's Divid release. I don't think this is wise though because I've heard that either the extras don't exist or they're difficult to access. The print is supposedly better than AB's though, crystal clear.

Argento Fan 2003
01-08-2001, 05:58 AM
Oh no I didn't mean it like that, it was just in theory. It sounds logical though.

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-10-2001, 11:58 PM
So, can I play region 0 PAL on my American DVD palyer? I am still not clear on this whole thing. I HATE my phenomena dvd and would love to get a better version, but i have no multi region player.

Argento Fan 2003
01-11-2001, 12:17 AM
All of that PAL/NSTC stuff is linked under articles on the main page.

betterdan
01-11-2001, 03:08 AM
I have the AB Penomena dvd and haven't noticed a layer change or pixellation problem on my Panasonic A310. It has been a while since I watched it though. Can you post the time when the layer change occurs I would like to test it again. Thanks.

------------------
I have seen the new face of poverty and it is DVD...

Argento Fan 2003
01-11-2001, 08:14 PM
Right after the chapter "Sophie's Rendezvous." It freezes when Prof. McGregor says "diabolic?"

AceRimRat
01-11-2001, 09:12 PM
I never encountered the problem with my Panasonic A110. Unless it's so slight I didn't notice or could have easily mistaken it for a layer change - Phenomena was one of my first DVDs and, to be honest, I don't watch it that often. But it certainly didn't pixellate.

betterdan
01-12-2001, 12:52 AM
Thanks I'll check it tonight.

------------------
I have seen the new face of poverty and it is DVD...