PDA

View Full Version : DVD of the Week - Week 7 - Demons

Jason25
02-15-2001, 08:14 AM
I could watch this film over and over. I enjoy this film very much and think it looks good on dvd.

The plot is pretty basic and the acting is only about average, but this film has other things going for it that overcome these weaker points.
The music is classic. I really enjoy it. I think the music adds to the appeal of this film. The pacing of the film works well. I found myself thoroughly engrossed in the film. Love the ending also.

Opinions?

DeepDownTraumaHound
02-16-2001, 02:29 AM
As it being one of the first horror films I ever saw, I loved it! it is a classic. It will forever being etched into my mind, even if all those mediocre qualites are present! :D
ps. I like the dvd of the week thing. a very reliable part of this website that I like.

ctyner
02-16-2001, 04:06 AM
I can't put into words how disappointed I was when I first watched "Demons" on DVD. As soon as my roommate and I finished watching it, I said something like, 'another one for the eBay pile'. For whatever reason, I decided to give it another look a few months later and was wildly entertained. I don't know why I disliked it so much when I first watched it, but now, I watch it regularly and never cease to be entertained.

Mark Relford
02-16-2001, 05:21 AM
I love Demons! It's fun, energetic, and very 80's. Pure cinematic junk food!

AceRimRat
02-17-2001, 12:09 AM
I found it to be OK, but unmemorable. I prefer the Argento-type of stuff. It wasn't bad, but wasn't anything special to me. No big deal - on to next week!

CastleX
02-17-2001, 01:48 AM
I first watched this when it came out on VHS, and it scared holy hell out of me. The sword and dirtbike is a classic horror scene. Plus the effects in this are great. Takes me back to real horror- don't look too deep, it is what it is.

One of the first DVD's I picked up.

Paff
02-17-2001, 05:12 AM
It's a stupid, shallow, and inane movie. Well, ok, it's also a lot of fun, too.

If you have a laserdisc player, you can find plenty of copies of this at http://www.bigemma.com for well under $10. I don't know if the quality is any better than the DVD though.

Does any movie just scream "80's!" at you more than this one??

"I think there's someone really screaming"
"Oh, it's just the Dolby system"

I crack up every time I hear that

DVD Connoisseur
02-18-2001, 01:14 AM
I like Demons - it's a fun movie and it brings back a lot of memories of my youth. When I watched the movie, back in 1987, I was in a halls of residence and we'd just rented a video player for the building. One Saturday night, we had a "bring a video" party. I decided to bring Demons along (I'd read a good review of it in the British magazine Starburst.)

When I placed the video in the machine and hit the play button, I had no idea how it would be accepted by the easily-bored crowd that sat waiting. Everyone in the room really enjoyed the film (apart from one guy who turned kind of green and had to leave the room commenting he couldn't stomach the violence!?) and there was a great atmosphere with people reacting and so on.

It's not Oscar material but, for me, Demons hit all the right buttons. It's fast, it's loud, it's violent and it's fun. Excellent entertainment.

All I have to do now is decide whether to buy Anchor Bay's version or the new Dragon Dance of the Demons release. Anybody recommend which one to go for? ;)

Rene
03-03-2001, 12:41 AM
Hi, "Demoni" sure is a nice and partially funny movie ;) Just think of the end, they jump in a jeep to escape from the Demons and say like "Hey, letīs go West!"... but isnīt the movie playing in West-Berlin/mid-eighties (?), after driving just a bit they would have been stopped by "The Wall" already and the Demons would have gotten them anyway... no escape from an isolated city, ouch ;) As for what version to pick out, I heard of the Dragon-DVD but never saw it available and reliable infos are rare about it, seems to be an underground-label or something (?), and besides a not-further-explained "Making Of" (?) it isnīt supposed to have more exciting or "better" stuff... The DVD from Anchor Bay might be a bit older (and low stock at some places) but still is more than okay... good picture quality (sharp, clear, 1.66:1), sound okay, funny menu (hooah), a few-seconds "Behind the Scenes" segment, Audio Commentary in Italo-English (Bava sometimes is hard to understand, but okay), a trailer and some cast info-stuff... if anyone knows that the Dragon-DVD would be better (I donīt know it), well... if youīre from the USA then the Anchor Bay thingy is no bad choice ;)